20th May 2016 at 08:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Structure failure
Description:

We have been monitoring a leak at Clarence Mill, Bollington and as a precaution have taken the decision to close the canal for further investigation. The canal is closed between bridges 26 and 27, either side of Parmerston Embankment. We will be investigating the issue with the aim of undertaking repairs, we anticipate that the canal will be closed over the weekend and into the early part of next week. When we have a better idea of the length of the closure we will update this notice.

Mooring is generally available either side of the closure on the towpath.

Starts At:
Bridge 27, Kerridge Road Bridge
Ends At:
Bridge 26, Sugar Lane Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole:
Between bridges 25 and 26.
Down Stream Winding Hole:
Bollington Wharf

Is that last reference to a winding hole at Bollington Wharf the one that BW/C&RT maintained never existed even though there were winding hole signs up at the time?

Beat me to it I was just in process of posting this stoppage.

"Bollington Wharf the one that BW/C&RT maintained never existed even though there were winding hole signs up at the time?"

That's the one that apparently isn't a winding hole as it is moorings for the wharf.

Edited by Johnboy770

My understanding is that if the width of your boat allows you to turn it round you can do so anywhere. So while Bollington Wharf may not be an 'official' winding hole if the space here is big enough you can indeed turn your boat round here.

No doubt someone will be along soon to correct this, if I'm wrong.

A visit to the site, and a chat with a C&RT employee, revealed that the canal is partially dewatered. The fish will be rescued tomorrow and the damage more fully assessed after that. It is hoped that temporary repairs will allow the canal to be re-opened by next weekend (or the Bank Holiday). Permanent repairs will be carried out in the winter.

My understanding is that if the width of your boat allows you to turn it round you can do so anywhere. So while Bollington Wharf may not be an 'official' winding hole if the space here is big enough you can indeed turn your boat round here.

No doubt someone will be along soon to correct this, if I'm wrong.

Glad to oblige. My impression was that t is the length that matters (unless you have a boat wider than long, of course).

I don't know much about winding holes, having a short boat, but I've seen notices at the entrances to boatyards and marinas prohibiting winding. Don't know if they have any validity.

"Update on 23/05/2016:

Over the weekend we were able to start the fish rescue needed before we can finish draining the canal. So far around a 1000lb of fish have been removed, it’s likely to be tomorrow before this can be finished and draining of the canal completed.

The physical inspection of the canal will take place tomorrow and it is expected that repairs will start on Wednesday. We have a lot of silt to remove before we can be certain of the full extent of the problem and then how long it is likely to take to repair.

The towpath will be closed from Wednesday between bridges 26 and 27. This is necessary so that we can operate with mechanical plant on the towpath. For people trying to pass through Bollington there is access to the Middlewood Way from bridge 25 and we will advise people to leave the towpath at bridges 25 and 28 (Grimshaw Lane).

We’ll provide a further update when we have more certainty about the likely timeframe for repairs. While we are trying to see the canal reopened in time for the bank holiday weekend, we are not certain that this will be achievable.

Customers will also be aware of the canal closure in Marple affecting the area. Repairs are underway at Lock 12 and we are expecting the Marple flight to reopen tomorrow, Tuesday 24th at the latest."

I can't believe it's going to take two days to remove the fish. There was hardly any water for them to swim in when I looked on Sunday.

I can believe there's a lot of silt to be removed. When was it last dredged?

Edited by Bugsworth Tippler

Not looking good judging by the number of hard hats, hi viz vests and life jackets in evidence today. There was also a brand new Hi Lux pickup that had never carried more than shopping from the supermarket. Lots of workers on mobiles. Seriously though apart from the failures which looked worse to me than described there is an awful lot of silt and rubbish on the canal bed. Even saw an engine block!

Edited by keith.

Glad to oblige. My impression was that t is the length that matters (unless you have a boat wider than long, of course).

I don't know much about winding holes, having a short boat, but I've seen notices at the entrances to boatyards and marinas prohibiting winding. Don't know if they have any validity.

If you can physically turn your boat while remaining 100% within CRT waters, there is no problem.

Therein lies the problem. All the water you see is not necessarily owned by CRT. The entrance to a marina probably belongs to the marina owner. The spaces between finger pontoons will almost inevitably belong to the adjacent landowner.

A marina owner is not being awkward when he says "No Turning". Just look at the damage to the piling at most marina entrances. Damage from his own customers he has to face, but not from (technically trespassing) winders.

Potential winders have to draw a theoretical dotted line along the water in the canal, separating CRT water from private. If you can turn within the CRT bit, fine.

Regarding Bollington. Agreement has been reached between CRT, the landowners and boating reps, that the winding hole is back in use between two finger jetties, the inside faces of which will be kept clear of moored boats. New LARGE signs will be erected and modifications made to the jetties to further ease the situation.

George ex nb Alton retired

So, Buggy it is then!

Not for me, I'm stuck the wrong side of Bollington and can't even get back to the marina. Looks like I will have to be a shuffler for a couple of weeks.

I assume it's this winding point at Bollington?

Last summer just after it had been reinstated we answered a Facebook request for help in testing it. Accompanied by the "doughty campaigner of fairly mature years" mentioned in the other thread, we just managed to turn our 67ft boat there but it was very tight and would have been very marginal in a 70-footer. It would definitely have been impossible in a 72-footer, or on a windy day (unless you were lucky with its direction), or by an inexperienced steerer. We all agreed that at least one further jetty needed to be removed.

DSCN0627r.jpg

DSCN0628r.jpg

I assume it's this winding point at Bollington?

Last summer just after it had been reinstated we answered a Facebook request for help in testing it. Accompanied by the "doughty campaigner of fairly mature years" mentioned in the other thread, we just managed to turn our 67ft boat there but it was very tight and would have been very marginal in a 70-footer. It would definitely have been impossible in a 72-footer, or on a windy day (unless you were lucky with its direction), or by an inexperienced steerer. We all agreed that at least one further jetty needed to be removed.

DSCN0627r.jpg

DSCN0628r.jpg

That is indeed the winding hole.

The blue boat on the right has now gone so winding takes place between two unoccupied jetty faces.

The jetties themselves are to have the corners chamfered off at 45 degrees and tyre rollers fitted.

Alton (loaded) has tested the arrangement, before modifications to the jetties, and successfully turned from both directions.

That is indeed the winding hole.

The blue boat on the right has now gone so winding takes place between two unoccupied jetty faces.

The jetties themselves are to have the corners chamfered off at 45 degrees and tyre rollers fitted.

Alton (loaded) has tested the arrangement, before modifications to the jetties, and successfully turned from both directions.

EExcellent. Yes I can see that removal of the blue boat and those minor mods to the jetties would be sufficient. Well make a point of winding (twice so we can keep going) when we pass there this summer.