Cattle Heads Up

mark99

Featured Posts

Yes Magnet. Cattle appeared and made a beeline for it. Should gave not put it out but in our defense the cattle were out of sight when mooring. Bloody thing is licking our bote now.

Edited by mark99

Mooring bag??

& is a bulls gob it's mouth or a euphemism for something else? Remember I grew up on a farm, but don't ever remember Dad mentioning that part of the bull huh.png

Are you at Lechlade by any chance Mark?

Edited by Bettie Boo

Yes Magnet. Cattle appeared and made a beeline for it. Should gave not put it out but in our defense the cattle were out of sight when mooring. Bloody thing is licking our bote now.

Mind they don't crap on your ropes

Bettie

Orange hi vis plastic thing to stop walkers tripping over your pins. Others use tesco carrier bags some go to Harrods bags but as we are boating in Surrey only bespoke bags are allowed. :)

No we are in Guildford returning from goddamit Godalming.

Edited by mark99

Mooring bag??

& is a bulls gob it's mouth or a euphemism for something else? Remember I grew up on a farm, but don't ever remember Dad mentioning that part of the bull huh.png

Are you at Lechlade by any chance Mark?

Friend of mine had his generator shoved into the River (by cows) at Lechlade. Serves him right for putting it on the bank and not leaving it on the yot :)

Typos

Edited by magnetman

Bettie

Orange hi vis plastic thing to stop walkers tripping over your pins. Others use tesco carrier bags some go to Harrods bags but as we are boating in Surrey only bespoke bags are allowed. smile.png

No we are in Guildford returning from goddamit Godalming.

Ahhhh ... WAY to POSH for us...

I cut a high vis vest in half - tied each half to the mooring pin loop and then flop the excess over the top and around the mooring lines once moored up

Edited by Bettie Boo

Anyway mooring bag is a new one for me

I do like this forum I learn something new every other day :)

(For mooring pins they do 4 miniature orange road cones in poundland. For a pound :rolleyes: pop it over the top of the pin and add a hi vis flashing led dog collar for night time use.

Another option is to fit a £4 Chinese PIR motion sensor wired to a bright LED "eagle eye",daylight running light to the top of each mooring pin and connect it with bell wire to the vessels 12v domestic systems. That way the mooring pins would be lit up when pedestrians approached. All for about £10 :)

Edited by magnetman

Having worked with cattle the thing that gets me is how dumb they can be.

I'll never forget having a group in to help me clear ragwort. The cows never touched it when growing but put it on a trailer and they crowd round to feast! (and knacker the trailer scratching)

Having worked with cattle the thing that gets me is how dumb they can be.

I'll never forget having a group in to help me clear ragwort. The cows never touched it when growing but put it on a trailer and they crowd round to feast! (and knacker the trailer scratching)

Cattle won't die from eating a plastic bag - they'll chew it sufficienty to make it a non-issue. Silage is often (pretty much always) fed to cattle during the winter, and farmers use silage wrap to cover the silage pit. Gradually over the course of the winter, the face of the silage pit recedes, so the sheet needs gradually folding back and back. And its normally about 3-4m in the air, not possible to nip up; so its done with the telehandler's forks, bucket or box cutter, in an approximate way. Also high winds can move it around. So, invariable little bits of silage wrap get into the silage, and sometimes big bits! Most silage is chopped though (a cheese producer or high yielding cow herd is likely to do cross chop using a vertical axis feed wagon where a lower yielding herd would have it chopped in a horizontal axis - but that's not important); or dry cows and bulls might not get it chopped at all.

So, plastic sheeting is safe for cattle. Also, plastic bags tend to have little holes in the bottom to prevent suffocation.

I have experienced the stupidity of sheep more than once when boating (another animal bred for meat and no i am not vegetarian or vegan).

A sheep was in the water. I tried to help it out of the water. It was heavy. The animal fought against me with all it's strength.. The other time was a sheep with horns caught in a fence. It was trying to pull itself out but the horns were like barbs. I tried to push it back out but it kept pushing against me :banghead:

Cattle won't die from eating a plastic bag - they'll chew it sufficienty to make it a non-issue. Silage is often (pretty much always) fed to cattle during the winter, and farmers use silage wrap to cover the silage pit. Gradually over the course of the winter, the face of the silage pit recedes, so the sheet needs gradually folding back and back. And its normally about 3-4m in the air, not possible to nip up; so its done with the telehandler's forks, bucket or box cutter, in an approximate way. Also high winds can move it around. So, invariable little bits of silage wrap get into the silage, and sometimes big bits! Most silage is chopped though (a cheese producer or high yielding cow herd is likely to do cross chop using a vertical axis feed wagon where a lower yielding herd would have it chopped in a horizontal axis - but that's not important); or dry cows and bulls might not get it chopped at all.

So, plastic sheeting is safe for cattle. Also, plastic bags tend to have little holes in the bottom to prevent suffocation.

Mooring bags may not have the same design specs as carrier bags re holes and also they may cost more than 5p :)

5p a bag, bag for life now.

My philosophy is boat take care it may be moored up .

CRT need to leaflet towpath users that it is dangerous there may be tripping hazards.

. That way the mooring pins would be lit up when pedestrians approached. All for about £10 smile.png

I picked up the High viz vest from the hedge row - total outlay for making the mooring pins highly vizable = £0.00

Pedestrians shouldn't be walking that close to the boat IMO, but sometimes need to step to one side or the other of the tow path to avoid being hit by a cycle, so I'm happy to identify a trip hazard for them.

When I was a young engineer laying a cross country pipeline, a tenant farmer (who did not want us crossing the farm land but the landlord took the kings silver) approached our site manager in a high state of distress with a folded shotgun under her arm. One of her prize cattle was dead. The vet undertook a post mortem and found a plastic bag had killed it. I never forgot that cos it was me that had to go and face her. The bag was clearly one of ours.

Edited by mark99

When I was a young engineer laying a cross country pipeline, a tenant farmer (who did not want us crossing the farm land but the landlord took the kings silver) approached our site manager in a high state of distress with a folded shotgun under her arm. One of her prize cattle was dead. The vet undertook a post mortem and found a plastic bag had killed it. I never forgot that cos it was me that had to go and face her. The bag was clearly one of ours.

A woman with a folded shotgun. I wish my misses would do that :lol:

What sort of bag was it - I assume it was branded

Magnetman it was so long ago so can't remember but yes branded. One other curious fact that it was a really hot day and the dead animal pumped up like a massive balloon with the gasses in its stomach expanding. A very odd sight.

Wouldn't a Harrods bag be pretty useless as it's dark green? I'm a fan of Tesco's (nice lairy blue and white stripes) or Sainsbury's (anyone should notice something orange)

According to this:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gob

the origin of the use of gob for mouth may be Scots Gaelic, centuries ago. I think its use is widespread in the UK, perhaps not in Canada. Certainly I remember expressions such as "shut yer gob" being in use when growing up in south London in the 1960s, a long way from Scotland.

Unrelated to that, "north and south" is Cockney rhyming slang, only normally used in the East End or by immediate descendants of East Enders. It's one of those examples where the rhyming words are not omitted.

All that stuff about chopping silage sounds very mysterious to me (what exactly is silage?) but then we don't need to know about that in London.

All that stuff about chopping silage sounds very mysterious to me (what exactly is silage?) but then we don't need to know about that in London.

Basically and simply pickled grass. The acids produced by the bacteria get high enough to kill the bacteria and preserve the grass.

That was the original process now there are various additives which aid/speed up/replace parts of the process.