Newbury Town Lock

Dharl

Featured Posts

Got our first trip on the Eastern End of the K&A coming up in a months time, last weekend took a walk up from Thatcham to Newbury to scout the route and a few watering holes out.

Whilst Woolhampton Lock and Bridge seems a challenge when coming down stream, however best practice seems to be open lock, open bridge then go with plenty of rpm to clear both and stop down stream of bridge to pick up crew. But seeing the narrow winding channel through Newbury itself below the town lock and bridge with its strong river flow got me working wondering on best practice for coming down stream?

Was wondering if any of the Eastern End Regulars could give some tips on best practice for dealing with this stretch, particularly when heading down stream?

Cheers

David

The narrow section is quite short and when a strong flow is going on this section I have sent someone on foot to go ahead with their mobile phone to scout if there is anyone coming upstream and warn both boats of each other's presence.

The narrow section is quite short and when a strong flow is going on this section I have sent someone on foot to go ahead with their mobile phone to scout if there is anyone coming upstream and warn both boats of each other's presence.

This sounds like the sort of situation where pmr radios would be a boon, but then you'd have to go and sit on the norty step with the flag flyers and wearers of certain hats! ;)

We have just got a pair of radios, so will have to give them a go! Of course just beening a two person team ( dog dosnt count...) that will cause other issues!

Being a professional mariner I have my own stand in flags and hats!

What's the best procedure when it comes to speed? Go fairly fast or slower engine with bursts of speed to help with th

When I leave Woolhampton I go as slow as I can so that I have power available to change things, you need good breaks after you have done the bridge, but as you are a professional mariner that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes but normally have s tug or two made fast when have to stop with a current under me!

Plenty of bursts of power seems the best way! :-)

Yes but normally have s tug or two made fast when have to stop with a current under me!

Plenty of bursts of power seems the best way! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

We have just got a pair of radios, so will have to give them a go! Of course just beening a two person team ( dog dosnt count...) that will cause other issues!

Being a professional mariner I have my own stand in flags and hats!

What's the best procedure when it comes to speed? Go fairly fast or slower engine with bursts of speed to help with th

From my recollection of going downstream through Newbury a couple of years ago you need to keep the power on (not too much) to maintain steerage since once you are through the narrows you have to cut across the river flow to pass under the right hand arch of the bridge in Victoria Park. When we went through (just before they closed the navigation due to increased flow levelsunsure.png ) it was a bit of a squeaky bum moment since the boat was travelling sideways down the river with quite a lot of throttle on frantically hoping not to hit the bridge support, successfully as it turns out, but for a few moments uncertainty entered the frame!

Of course what helped a lot was the canoe that came paddling upstream just at the wrong moment.

Lots of revs is not the universal answer heading downstream.

At Woolhampton use just enough revs to get the boat into the right position for the bridge at minimum speed, then use lots of revs as you are going through the bridge to get the back of the boat through against any side push from the current.

In Newbury come out of the lock with lots of revs and aim for the centre of the bridge, the rebound of the cross flow is as bad as the cross flow itself so do not aim left, you will get pushed left after the bridge. Drop revs and loose speed as best you can as you go down the narrow bit and walk down beforehand to learn where the one way one bridge is. Start the turn on lowish power then use revs to bring the back round as required. Newbury is a LOT easier than Woolhampton.

Reading is also bad and the same applies, go down as slowly as you can then use the power to get the back safely through that horrid skewed arch bridge at the end. However be ready to use a lot of power coming out of county lock due to a nasty eddy and overhanging trees. Remember to stop under the road bridge bridge when approaching county, get lock ready, then turn in with care.

Note this advice applies to heavy 70 foot boats, it gets easier with shorter boats.

..............Dave

Lots of revs is not the universal answer heading downstream.

At Woolhampton use just enough revs to get the boat into the right position for the bridge at minimum speed, then use lots of revs as you are going through the bridge to get the back of the boat through against any side push from the current.

In Newbury come out of the lock with lots of revs and aim for the centre of the bridge, the rebound of the cross flow is as bad as the cross flow itself so do not aim left, you will get pushed left after the bridge. Drop revs and loose speed as best you can as you go down the narrow bit and walk down beforehand to learn where the one way one bridge is. Start the turn on lowish power then use revs to bring the back round as required. Newbury is a LOT easier than Woolhampton.

Reading is also bad and the same applies, go down as slowly as you can then use the power to get the back safely through that horrid skewed arch bridge at the end. However be ready to use a lot of power coming out of county lock due to a nasty eddy and overhanging trees. Remember to stop under the road bridge bridge when approaching county, get lock ready, then turn in with care.

Note this advice applies to heavy 70 foot boats, it gets easier with shorter boats.

..............Dave

Each to their own opinion but I found Woolhampton relatively easy getting through the bridge (since all the river flows through the gap you are going through), stopping at the bollards the other side was more of an issue, but not too oneroussleep.png .

At Newbury on the other hand most of the river flow seems to pass though the left hand arch of Victoria park Bridge but you are supposed to take your boat through the right hand arch. I can see the reason but you still have to take the boat through the river flow, which at one point had the boat effectively going sideways. I had a brief moment of thinking 'If this d*mn thing doesn't get across soon I'm taking the left arch!unsure.png ".

We did moor below Newbury for a couple of years and went up and down almost every weekend so that might explain why Newbury holds less fear than Woolhampton. I still think Newbury IS the easier but there is also probably more potential for things to go badly wrong, and indeed I did speak to a boater recently who went sideways into that bridge which was traumatic. The turn is relatively easy if you get it correct but you do have to start that turn almost before you see the bridge which is the tricky bit, if you leave it only a fraction late then its hard to get the back round (I have done that too). Worse ever moment was going down in moderate flow, making that blind turn into the bridge, and finding a canoe "playing" sideways across the bridge 'ole.

If it goes wrong at Woolhampton the most likely accident is a broadside into the bridge 'ole and getting safely flushed through by the flow, though worse case is probably over steering and hitting the front into the left hand bridge pier.

I think I fear Reading most of all.

...............Dave

We did moor below Newbury for a couple of years and went up and down almost every weekend so that might explain why Newbury holds less fear than Woolhampton. I still think Newbury IS the easier but there is also probably more potential for things to go badly wrong, and indeed I did speak to a boater recently who went sideways into that bridge which was traumatic. The turn is relatively easy if you get it correct but you do have to start that turn almost before you see the bridge which is the tricky bit, if you leave it only a fraction late then its hard to get the back round (I have done that too). Worse ever moment was going down in moderate flow, making that blind turn into the bridge, and finding a canoe "playing" sideways across the bridge 'ole.

If it goes wrong at Woolhampton the most likely accident is a broadside into the bridge 'ole and getting safely flushed through by the flow, though worse case is probably over steering and hitting the front into the left hand bridge pier.

I think I fear Reading most of all.

...............Dave

I think what always amused me at Woolhampton was the mooring bollards outside The Rowbarge pub, I mean why would you want to moor there? Easy enough to do I suppose going upstream but leaving your boat there waiting for someone coming downstream to clout it as they try to take the bridge, you couldn't sit in the pub enjoying your pint waiting for that, could you? Is the boat with all the tyres down the side still moored just below the lock?

I think what always amused me at Woolhampton was the mooring bollards outside The Rowbarge pub, I mean why would you want to moor there? Easy enough to do I suppose going upstream but leaving your boat there waiting for someone coming downstream to clout it as they try to take the bridge, you couldn't sit in the pub enjoying your pint waiting for that, could you? Is the boat with all the tyres down the side still moored just below the lock?

Boat with tyres was certainly there two days ago when we went down.

I have seen a few boats moor on the pub lock landing, some even whilst heading downstream. Smaller more manoeuvrable boats appear to get in quite easily but I don't think we would have a hope in hell.

We usually stay well away from that landing when heading downsteam, but this year the boat in front of us went in quite close to the lock landing so we (well Gillie, I was working the bridge) tried it too, the overhanging tree gets in the way a bit but it does make the turn into the bridge a lot easier. So I agree, not a good place to moor even if you can.

................Dave

It looks to me as though the easiest way to do the bridge at Victoria Park is to stop on the towpath 100 yds before you get there, then walk the boat though on the tow path side. Keep the boat tight to the tow path holding the stern line and a centre line. Even if you meet a boat coming upstream they are unlikely to be inconvenienced.

I have to say that, having done the Newbury 'chute a dozen times or so, I agree totally with dmr on how to do it. The only time I got it wrong was in winter when I didn't give it enough power under Town Bridge and got slammed broadside into the towpath side. The Vicky park bridge turn is just fun.

.The towpath side opposite Hogshead is very shallow with pointy things underwater.

The correct method heading downstream thru' Woolhampton, is to shout "yeeeharrr" as you go through the bridgehole.

thanks all for the advise. Still got another couple of weeks before being let loose on the Kennet, so spadefoot yes that was one of the other sharers heading West, care to give them a mark out of 10...?

Heading in to the stream holds a lot less trepidation for me (guess its a more standard nautical practice which I have experience of in various size craft) whilst proceeding with the stream under me will be a bit more experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully back today from trip from Aldermastern to Great Bedwyn and return. Neither Woolhampton or Newbury locks caused any great issues, just a little pre-planning more than usual!

Thanks to all for advise here, as well as those I talked too on the water. Am sure there was a few CWDF members there I spoke to without realising it!

Off to drive big ships for a bit now, then back in August on the cut!

Yes that was me! Sorry I mis heard when you asked if I was a member of the forum! Loved your boat, don't often see a WB with a Semi-trad stern.

Found at that at Copee Lock you need a short armed windlass the hard way....scrapped my knuckles a bit!