safety on the water

fergyguy

Featured Posts

just a thought on safety whilst on the water...whilst I'm aware many canals are not too deep (but locks are) what is the norm when it comes to the wearing of life jackets? is this simply kept for river use? as a none swimmer i would be interested in your views and opinions...what life saving gear do you carry on your boat and do you feel the need to wear any form of life jacket at any time?

As a none swimmer it would be expedient to wear a lifejacket anywhere near water. The best type would be a self inflating one which is worn like a scarf, not bulky and unobtrusive. While it is true you can often just stand up and walk out there is always the "just in case factor".

Why take a chance with your life.

Phil

In general, the only people that I've seen wearing life jackets are CRT workers, contractors and some volunteers.

More people wear them on rivers.

I can swim fairly well and I don't wear a life jacket, even on rivers.

What we do, however, and this is what you are supposed to do, and what many people do not do, is we always have the life ring in reach of the steerer, so that it can be thrown quickly to anyone falling off.

Best advice to non-swimmers - a ) learn to swim b ) don't fall in!

Edited by Tiggs

It's very unusual to see anyone (apart from children) wearing lifejackets on canals, even in locks. It's fairly unusual to see it on non-tidal rivers, in my limited experience of cruising stretches of e.g. the Aire and the Calder. On tidal rivers, I would think it's more unusual not to wear a lifejacket, but I can't speak from personal experience.

But that's not to say what's "usual" is a measure of what's ideal. It's probably pretty silly, really, not to wear lifejackets on non-tidal rivers, in locks, and arguably even on canals, given the experiences people report when they do fall in of finding it surprisingly hard to get out again when weighed down with saturated clothing. It seems to be a cultural thing though.

Edited by magictime

I'm surprised with all the health and safety we have in the uk that insurance companies don't insist on lifejackets being worn whilst on the water..triggs i have tried to learn to swim but to be honest a nasty situation in a swimming pool whilst trying to learn at junior school has made it very difficult for me to get the confidence issues under my belt so it will be a life jacket for me i would sooner be the odd man out and be alive than fit in and be dead at the bottom of a lock. my wife can swim very very well but i think if we venture our boat onto any river she will be under orders to wear a life jacket too.

that makes interesting reading triggs

As a none swimmer it would be expedient to wear a lifejacket anywhere near water. The best type would be a self inflating one which is worn like a scarf, not bulky and unobtrusive. While it is true you can often just stand up and walk out there is always the "just in case factor".

Why take a chance with your life.

Phil

Can't disagree with that.

:slightly_tongue_in_cheek:

Wearing of life jackets for all canal related activities doesn't necessarily guarantee safety.

The very large mower that powered into a lock in the Atherstone flight a year or os back, apparently did so because its operator was wearing the mandatory life jacket, the toggle of which got entangled with the control of the mower. Anecdotally he was very lucky to extract himself and not do descend into the lock with the out of control mower with it blades still flailing on full power.

:slightly_less_tongue_in_cheek:

You do have to be quite wary wearing one on a narrow boat, as even the inflatable ones can get in the way at times. OH managed to catch a toggle on a door catch when coming out on to the back of the boat whilst we were on the Thames, and I was greeted by the arrival of a very confused person with a large red thing rapidly growing around their neck!

In general, the only people that I've seen wearing life jackets are CRT workers, contractors and some volunteers.

More people wear them on rivers.

I can swim fairly well and I don't wear a life jacket, even on rivers.

What we do, however, and this is what you are supposed to do, and what many people do not do, is we always have the life ring in reach of the steerer, so that it can be thrown quickly to anyone falling off.

Best advice to non-swimmers - a ) learn to swim b ) don't fall in!

Seconded. I learned to swim at 59 years young. Used to hate going in water (seems odd for somebody obsessed with boats?) but love it now. Best of all, i agree don't fall in! The best swimmer in the world will be useless if banged hard enough on the head etc.

Probably should wear a lfiejacket if non-swimmer, especially around locks, though I have never bothered, which is probably rather stupid...

Edited by Guest

it will be a life jacket for me i would sooner be the odd man out and be alive than fit in and be dead at the bottom of a lock. my wife can swim very very well but i think if we venture our boat onto any river she will be under orders to wear a life jacket too.

Good for you. I think a lot of us are prone to a false sense of security due to the familiarity and 'cosy' feeling of the environment, but every now and again there's a thread on here where someone talks about falling in and being surprised at how scary an experience it is.

just a thought on safety whilst on the water...whilst I'm aware many canals are not too deep (but locks are) what is the norm when it comes to the wearing of life jackets? is this simply kept for river use? as a none swimmer i would be interested in your views and opinions...what life saving gear do you carry on your boat and do you feel the need to wear any form of life jacket at any time?

Firstly not all canals are as shallow as you might think. The likes of the A&CN are deeper than your average muddy ditch.

Secondly even on or close to a shallow ditch like the T&M I was surprised at how deep the water was in Mercia Marina (formed from a pre existing lake) when I fell in. I certainly couldn't stand on the bottom and keep my head above the water and had to swim the short distance back to the boat stern. I had always assumed previously that it was as shallow as the canal it was connected to. It wasn't.

If you are genuinely a complete non swimmer then I would seriously consider wearing a unobtrusive one like a Seago.

Edited by MJG

In a recent thread on this topic, someone attached a video which dramatically showed the consequences of wearing a shawl type life jacket without a crotch strap, namely that the inflated jacket ends up round your ears. Since then:

a) I've bought crotch straps for our lifers (which we wear on rivers but not canals) and

b ) I've noted that no CRT employees or volunteers wear crotch straps. Some of the volunteers, in particular, have, shall we say, a substantial embonpoint which would guarantee the round the ears effect if the jacket inflated. Mind you, I suppose the aforesaid eight-months-gone look would probably provide flotation in its own right...

I have to say that I find lifejackets bulky and a damn nuisance even the self inflating type. I don't wear one when I am on a canal but the only time I went on a river I did wear one. I do tend to steer clear of rivers. Having said that that is purely for me. If anyone else asks I would always recommend that anyone, even those that think they are strong swimmers. wear lifejackets and this is the reason why.

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/ColdShock.html

The other thing that I would say is that if you are going to wear a lifejacket and I do recomend that you do even though I tend not to, wear one of the automatic ones as they are not as bulky as the "Michelin Man" flotation devices but check it regularly and get it checked professionally once a year and always wear a lifejacket with a crotch strap. Again here is the reason for that recommendation.

Of course ultimately the choice is yours. But remember that if you do go into the water and need to be rescued you are putting your rescuer's lives at risk. I am fully aware of that fact and as such I do try extremely hard not to put myself at risk. I am also leaving the inland waterways soon so it will not be an issue for me as such.

• Greenie 1

It's very unusual to see anyone (apart from children) wearing lifejackets on canals, even in locks. It's fairly unusual to see it on non-tidal rivers, in my limited experience of cruising stretches of e.g. the Aire and the Calder. On tidal rivers, I would think it's more unusual not to wear a lifejacket, but I can't speak from personal experience.

But that's not to say what's "usual" is a measure of what's ideal. It's probably pretty silly, really, not to wear lifejackets on non-tidal rivers, in locks, and arguably even on canals, given the experiences people report when they do fall in of finding it surprisingly hard to get out again when weighed down with saturated clothing. It seems to be a cultural thing though.

I am beginning to see more and more. Especially since Harecastle tunnel suggest it now

I am beginning to see more and more. Especially since Harecastle tunnel suggest it now

I have noticed signs on tunnels that are no longer than a motorway bridge suggesting life jackets should be worn. e.g. Cowley Tunnel

I am off on the Caledonian next week, I am a competent swimmer but I will be wearing a life jacket. I think Loch Ness is probably too deep to stand in!

Edited by NickF

I am off on the Caledonian next week, I am a competent swimmer but I will be wearing a life jacket. I think Loch Ness is probably too deep to stand in!

Have fun and take plenty of insect repellent - an AVON cosmetic seems to be the best.....hope it's not too blowy on the Lochs.

Although I am a very strong swimmer, (swimming long distance races in the Solent. ) I found it difficult to get out when I fell in the marina, It was far too deep to stand although I am 5'6" Part of the problem was I couldn't stop giggling and was eventually pulled out by my friends............. But I do have life jackets on board and I insist all none swimmers wear one untill they are safely off the boat. It is easy to think "It will never happen to me" It can and will, it's just a moments lapse of concentration. None swimmers who don't wear life jackets are not only putting their own lives at risk but the people who try to rescue them. So there should be enough life jackets for everyone and the dog!!

So there should be enough life jackets for everyone and the dog!!

Definitely for the dog particularly if it is of any size. Lifting a 30Kg Mallinois out of the cut without its handle on the life jacket is all but impossible. I know I have tried.

I have noticed signs on tunnels that are no longer than a motorway bridge suggesting life jackets should be worn. e.g. Cowley Tunnel

To be honest, I do not wear a life jacket unless out on the Mersey or similar.

However, I am aware that falling in anywhere, not just a tunnel, and banging your head on the way down can have fatal consequences.

Having said that, I used to ride fast motorbikes and free rock climb, both somewhat madder than not wearing a lifejacket on a still water canal.

It is a personal choice and long may personal freedom remain.

George ex nb Alton retired

Definitely for the dog particularly if it is of any size. Lifting a 30Kg Mallinois out of the cut without its handle on the life jacket is all but impossible. I know I have tried.

And you can forget it with a 46kg rottie :)

Edited by gazza

we have both taken to wearing an automatic lifejacket.

now that my little un is 2 years old she obviously has to have one, we deiced that to stop any chance of her feeling like the odd one out we all might as well wear one. I can remember hating the things as a kid, was always given the choice though, no lifejacket, no boat!

To be honest, I do not wear a life jacket unless out on the Mersey or similar.

However, I am aware that falling in anywhere, not just a tunnel, and banging your head on the way down can have fatal consequences.

Having said that, I used to ride fast motorbikes and free rock climb, both somewhat madder than not wearing a lifejacket on a still water canal.

It is a personal choice and long may personal freedom remain.

George ex nb Alton retired

I would agree I was however merely pointing out the daft situation where they will soon have to put up signs at the longer bridges as they are as long as some of the tunnels.

I sometimes do, sometimes don't, on both rivers and canals.

In summer, hot, dry weather I normally don't, due to the likelihood of it snagging and the benignity of the conditions (with an exception for rivers wide enough or fast enough that I couldn't swim to the side).

In winter, particularly when wearing very heavy clothing, or it's very wet or icy, I do.

To use the fancy words, it's a dynamic risk assessment - when the risks increase, and the consequences of those risks, take mitigating action.