Canal Du Midi

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

Sounds good. My parents did it (maybe even for there anniversary?) a few years ago and really loved it, again on a hired grp boat.

- Should be a really good trip.

Daniel

We've hired in France 3 times, twice in plastic boats and once in an old tub of a narrowboat on the Canal du Midi. After years of narrowboats, it took me the whole week's holiday to get used to handling the plastic boats!

But enjoy!

We've hired in France 3 times, twice in plastic boats and once in an old tub of a narrowboat on the Canal du Midi. After years of narrowboats, it took me the whole week's holiday to get used to handling the plastic boats!

But enjoy!

Perhaps the same "old tub" (a 46 footer) which we hired from Minervois Cruisers some 8 or 10 years ago. The Midi can become a bit samey (Look, a long straight stretch lined with plane trees! Gosh, another one!!) but there are some lovely places to stop. I'm sure Mr. & Mrs. Sugg will have a great time.

Tip: if the towpath is hard, there are often trees whose knotty roots you can tie your ropes round, rather than trying to bash your mooring pins in.

Yup, bit nervous about the steering, we have got bow thrusters though!

Blimey, not just a "plastic boat" in the U.K. sense of a wee 22 foot cruiser, then! What type of boat is it, a pénichette?

We are going on the Canal Du Midi for part of our honeymoon next week on a plastic boat. It will be my new wife's first time boating!! Looking forward to it.

You got the weather right, this weeks been hit and miss rain between Narbonne and Beziers for us but bucking up for next week

We just got back from a week on the Midi with a plastic palace from Le Boat.

Have to say Le Boat as a company were really good, with friendly and helpful staff. Willing to attend to any issues. However they charge an extortionate rate for fuel usage, calculated by engine hours. We turned off the engine waiting for locks, and inside locks, it makes a significant reduction in the cost.

You get free moorings in other LE Boat centers that you may pass, with free electric hook-up and water. Good if you want hot showers in the morning, and a full charge in the battery without running the engine.

It is a 37 foot Tango class thing from Le Boat. It has two steering wheels!

Lots of those furrin boats do. Ideal for couples: one says you should turn left, the other says right, so you can both steer in the direction of your choice.

But seriously, looks like a luxurious craft, especially for two people. Where do you start from, Castelnaudary?

We do indeed! That looks like a nice place too.

It's the home of cassoulet - though that dish, with its high content of beans, may not be the ideal romantic honeymoon meal.

It's the home of cassoulet - though that dish, with its high content of beans, may not be the ideal romantic honeymoon meal.

Overrated French cuisine if ever there was....

We just got back from a week on the Midi with a plastic palace from Le Boat.

Have to say Le Boat as a company were really good, with friendly and helpful staff. Willing to attend to any issues. However they charge an extortionate rate for fuel usage, calculated by engine hours. We turned off the engine waiting for locks, and inside locks, it makes a significant reduction in the cost.

You get free moorings in other LE Boat centers that you may pass, with free electric hook-up and water. Good if you want hot showers in the morning, and a full charge in the battery without running the engine.

Just as a matter of interest, did the people at Le Boat emphasize to you, the need to slow down when passing moored boats. I've been told that most hire boats cruise past at the same speed, oblivious of the problems that can be caused by not slowing down

Just as a matter of interest, did the people at Le Boat emphasize to you, the need to slow down when passing moored boats. I've been told that most hire boats cruise past at the same speed, oblivious of the problems that can be caused by not slowing down

Locaboat, from whom we hired last year, did not mention this. But they did have two lines stuck on the rev. counter to indicate speed limits, one for canals, the other for rivers. I was surprised to find that the limit for canals was higher.

Doesn't appreciate rural Southern French cuisine AND he supports Middlesborough. Has this man got no taste?

Just that particular dish, maybe I've been unlucky but tried it a couple of times and I just don't rate it as a meal.

PS You obviously didn't teach geography or recent history as you have made the classic spelling error of the name of my home town.

Slowing down wasn't mentioned, but they were aware that we were experienced boaters. We saw very few moored boats, and not very many moving ones, it's still early season. All moving boats were hire boats, except for one or two large dutch barge style private boats. We did notice one boat charging along at max speed but this was an exception, its not really much of a problem as they are all shallow draft.

Tip: - in that area canal side communities are quite sparse, so bikes are very useful to get to the villages, if you want your fresh bread and pastries.

Just that particular dish, maybe I've been unlucky but tried it a couple of times and I just don't rate it as a meal.

PS You obviously didn't teach geography or recent history as you have made the classic spelling error of the name of my home town.

Is the first O a mistake?

I am influenced by living near PeterbOrough!

Fair comment on the cassoulet, at least you did not knock it till you'd tried it.

Is the first O a mistake?

I am influenced by living near PeterbOrough!

Fair comment on the cassoulet, at least you did not knock it till you'd tried it.

It's a common mistake. Even the close by market town between us and Middlesbrough is spelt Guisborough. There is no definitive reason as to why the name is spelt as it is one theory being it was a simple spelling error very early on in the town's history and the 'incorrect' spelling stuck.

It's a common mistake.

But not one which I'll make again from now on, thanks. I do hope that Middlesbrough make a few mistakes on the soccer pitch this afternoon, though.

But not one which I'll make again from now on, thanks. I do hope that Middlesbrough make a few mistakes on the soccer pitch this afternoon, though.

Their home record is pretty good having only lost twice in the league at home and conceding only 7 goals in the process.

They have only managed a draw out of each of the three last games though, but of course a draw will be enough to see Boro in the Premiership. Karanka insists he is playing to win as he is adamant playing for a draw will mean they risk losing.

We shall see....I'm watching the game on the telly (It's on BT sport Sky Sports)

Edited by MJG

Well what can one say?

Boro didn't properly press home the advantage of the extra man after Sephens got sent off after pretty cynical tackle on Ramirez but a draw was all that was needed.

So good luck in the play off's Brighton......

In view of the spelling of the town's name, how strange that fans call them "Boro" and not "Bro"!

I was out raiding garden centres so missed the match. Well done B(o)ro, Brighton are usually crap in playoffs but there's always a first time.

In view of the spelling of the town's name, how strange that fans call them "Boro" and not "Bro"!

I was out raiding garden centres so missed the match. Well done B(o)ro, Brighton are usually crap in playoffs but there's always a first time.

Brighton only had one shot on target the whole game and only played with any real urgency after Stephens got sent off.

That said Boro really should have got another goal after that but it just didn't happen and as a draw was enough I suspect the foot came off the gas a bit and they really weren't very slick going forward at all.

The added eight minutes was a bit nerve racking...