What sort of fish is this?

Featured Posts

Please excuse the terrible picture, I took it through a window.

Does anyone know what sort of fish this is? It was in a particularly weedy, still area of the canal without a lot of traffic or flow. The fish was about 6" long, thin, and striped. I have never seen one like it before and can't match it to anything I can see on the CRT site's section on fish in the canals. I wonder if it is a juvenile of something common, and that is why I can't identify it?

Anyone know?

WP_20160430_14_15_36_Pro_zps8ll5bne8.jpg

ISSIT! I did wonder if it was a pike given the shape and type of water where I saw it, but could not find any images of pikes with the clear, regular stripes that this one has.

Its shape is not at all similar to the zander.

Edited by Starcoaster

Please excuse the terrible picture, I took it through a window.

Does anyone know what sort of fish this is? It was in a particularly weedy, still area of the canal without a lot of traffic or flow. The fish was about 6" long, thin, and striped. I have never seen one like it before and can't match it to anything I can see on the CRT site's section on fish in the canals. I wonder if it is a juvenile of something common, and that is why I can't identify it?

Anyone know?

WP_20160430_14_15_36_Pro_zps8ll5bne8.jpg

It's not a bad photo, but you cod do batter.

Baby pike. Years ago (1962 ish) first ever holiday on canals on half a wooden narrowboat hired from Atherstone or thereabouts we saw an albino pike of probably 8 lbs , it must have been a tough old devil to have survived.

100% sure it is a Pike, you can easy make out the tail and dorsal and anal fins shape/position.

its a pike no doubt :) from a old Pike stalker.

Hi,

Jack Pike is the term used for male pike. As adults they are generally much smaller than adult females but can be fairly sizeable. Ten pounds plus.

i have fished for many moons and a Jack is just a small pike, most fisherfolk dont even know the difference between a male or female fish/pike. a pike below 6lb is a jack, i have known some say around here a joey for a small pike.

in all its a small pike, get a big un ( double fig ) on a summers day and you know about it :)

i have fished for many moons and a Jack is just a small pike, most fisherfolk dont even know the difference between a male or female fish/pike. a pike below 6lb is a jack, i have known some say around here a joey for a small pike.

in all its a small pike, get a big un ( double fig ) on a summers day and you know about it smile.png

Im with you W+T, jack was universal for a small pike. Maybe its a local variation?