Diesel boat south of Banbury?

frahkn

Featured Posts

When we're on t'Oxford Dusty is always moored up and empty.

Last year we came upon him/ her / it motoring near whatsit deep. Hailed them like a cab and took on fuel while bot continued slowly on our way.

Quite an amusing experience.....

When we're on t'Oxford Dusty is always moored up and empty.

Last year we came upon him/ her / it motoring near whatsit deep. Hailed them like a cab and took on fuel while bot continued slowly on our way.

Quite an amusing experience.....

Dusty makes regular fuel selling runs and publishes the schedule by text. Send him a text asking to be put on his customer list and he'll keep you informed by automated text as to where and when he is trading.

Mike the Boilerman, on 30 Apr 2016 - 4:37 PM, said:

Dusty makes regular fuel selling runs and publishes the schedule by text. Send him a text asking to be put on his customer list and he'll keep you informed by automated text as to where and when he is trading.

Yes - and thanks (but for the fact that we don't use mobiles (much) 'cos signals here are rubbish to non-existent) and we don't have the luxury of visiting the Oxford regularly,

but it was a kind thought!

(now what's his mobile number)

I spent hours trying to contact him (when it was him) in Upper Hayford walking up the hill to get a signal etc. sending texts, about half nine at night in the dark, chug chug chug with a ding a ling on a bell there he is with my diesel.

Yes - and thanks (but for the fact that we don't use mobiles (much) 'cos signals here are rubbish to non-existent) and we don't have the luxury of visiting the Oxford regularly,

but it was a kind thought!

(now what's his mobile number)

See post 2...!

Interesting. I didn't realise he ever went north of Banbury!

I don't know how far up he comes but he was pulling alongside at Fenny Marina as I came through, he may have turned at the winding hole by The Wharf pub, but then if so he could just as easily have turned in the marina entrance. According to my map, if he didn't turn there the next winding hole would be Engine armunsure.png

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Mike the Boilerman, on 30 Apr 2016 - 9:21 PM, said:

See post 2...!

Oh Poo , silly me

Memo to self - must read all posts every time

Mike rebuke gratefully received.

The new Dustys (he & she) now go as far as Fenny Compton. The old Dusty (he) only went as far as Claydon bottom. They do make regular trips, but I suspect contacting them without a mobile isn't going to be easy.

The new Dustys (he & she) now go as far as Fenny Compton. The old Dusty (he) only went as far as Claydon bottom. They do make regular trips, but I suspect contacting them without a mobile isn't going to be easy.

What happened to "old Dusty"? (Was it Mark?). He was quite a character; has he retired?

Mark Boardman was talking about selling the business two or three years ago. I don't know all the reasons, but he did once tell me "My knees are going" which must be a disadvantage if you are humping bottles of gas and bags of coal from boat to boat.

Interesting. I didn't realise he ever went north of Banbury!

Really? We bought fuel from him on several occasions in Cropredy. I think he used to go as far North as Clattercote Wharf, where he would turn round and head back downhill. This was perhaps because another fuel boat operated Northwards from Claydon - can't remember its name, it was moored there for months before being sold.

Just for info, 2 days ago (28th) he was heading south through Fenny Compton towards Banbury

Not had a text for this week so I presume this is his week off and he will be on the Heyford-Oxford run next week.

Mark Boardman was talking about selling the business two or three years ago. I don't know all the reasons, but he did once tell me "My knees are going" which must be a disadvantage if you are humping bottles of gas and bags of coal from boat to boat.

Really? We bought fuel from him on several occasions in Cropredy. I think he used to go as far North as Clattercote Wharf, where he would turn round and head back downhill. This was perhaps because another fuel boat operated Northwards from Claydon - can't remember its name, it was moored there for months before being sold.

Gosty Hill with Ian his wife and two Jack Russell's. Edited by Nightwatch

The old Dusty, Mark, has retired from boats, I don't know the full reasons, but I suspect that humping coal around is not a job you can do forever. I know he misses the canal. He's certainly a character and has turned his hand to all sorts over the years. Last I heard, he is now making very high quality moulds for chocolatiers!

Edited by NB Watersnail

The old Dusty, Mark, has retired from boats, I don't know the full reasons, but I suspect that humping coal around is not a job you can do forever. I know he misses the canal. He's certainly a character and has turned his hand to all sorts over the years. Last I heard, he is now making very high quality moulds for chocolatiers!

For anyone interested his Yummy Ideas website is here http://www.yummyideas.co.uk/ and Facebook page is here https://www.facebook.com/mark.boardman.372

Edited to add website url

Edited by Wiltshire Moonraker

Moors at Lower Heyford when not out trading.

First, thanks for the help.

Secondly, Dusty was moored at Little Heywood (just behind 'Bones') this morning, facing toward Banbury.

Whoever said that he was on holiday is probably correct as there was no one about and he has not responded to my text.

Frank.

Oxfordshire NBs just opposite sell diesel and coal, given you're there!

Mike, thanks but there was no chance this morning - the place was absolutely jammed with empty hire boats. I did fill up at Enslow wharf a bit later.

Frank.

Edited by frahkn