Various Pics from Late 70's/Early 80's

Johnboy770

Featured Posts

There is a lock ladder there now, but the railings are quite different.

I can't find a great picture, but this just about shows it....

DSCF8609.JPG

There is a lock ladder in the OPs picture too

Richard

I've got the same. I think it might be that the OP has put up too many pictures.

I am unable to view these images as I have apparently reached my bandwidth limit - whatever that is captain.gif

Oh sorry about that, if more people start struggling i may have to make another album..

Maybe an admin can help

Edited by Johnboy770

There is a lock ladder in the OPs picture too

Richard

Yes, I have acknowledged that (I thought).

I was responding to Matty's suggestion that he didn't recall there still being one.

The handrails on each are different though, if I have not made myself clear.

I am unable to view these images as I have apparently reached my bandwidth limit - whatever that is captain.gif

I've got the same. I think it might be that the OP has put up too many pictures.

Oh sorry about that, if more people start struggling i may have to make another album..

Maybe an admin can help

Yep, Broken for me as well now.

I'm pretty sure that the pic featured earlier with the sunken boats is of one of the flashes just outside Middlewich - there are signs there now advertising a new Marina.

They always used to fascinate me during the 70s - I always wondered why someone didn't try to resurrect them.

I'm pretty sure that the pic featured earlier with the sunken boats is of one of the flashes just outside Middlewich - there are signs there now advertising a new Marina.

They always used to fascinate me during the 70s - I always wondered why someone didn't try to resurrect them.

Some folks did. I cannot remember the dates but See below, many boats were recovered from these flashes. The few left I think were beyond redemption.

http://www.paul.sladen.org/boat/billinge-green/flash.html

Scuttling ground

From the 1950s onwards, the shallow pools were used by the British Waterways Board to sink a number of unneeded and old vessels.

During the 1970s and 1980s, Ian Riley recovered—apparently with a grappling iron and a Landrover—many hulls, allowing these to be restored as viable floating wooden vessels again.

The hulk there now must either have been deemed nonviable for rescue by Ian, or it arrived at a later stage.

Also information there about the marina and the boat in Billinge Green Flash as well.

Edited by Ray T

Some folks did. I cannot remember the dates but See below, many boats were recovered from these flashes. The few left I think were beyond redemption.

http://www.paul.sladen.org/boat/billinge-green/flash.html

Scuttling ground

From the 1950s onwards, the shallow pools were used by the British Waterways Board to sink a number of unneeded and old vessels.

During the 1970s and 1980s, Ian Riley recovered—apparently with a grappling iron and a Landrover—many hulls, allowing these to be restored as viable floating wooden vessels again.

The hulk there now must either have been deemed nonviable for rescue by Ian, or it arrived at a later stage.

Also information there about the marina and the boat in Billinge Green Flash as well.

Yes i know it's definitely in the flashes by Northwich, i'm just not 100% sure which it is, Billinge Green or Croxton..

Don't quote me on this but i'm sure SWMT Butty Australia maybe one that was saved, i'm sure thats what Drew told me..

The derelict canal looks like the Montgomery. Leek tunnel on the Caldon is the one with the tent on the hillside. The pointy top bridge ( peartree?) is also on the Caldon.

I thought it was the Monty, yep i'm 100% on Leek tunnel and the bridge.

I notice your boat is called Phoebe, is it a butty by any chance? If so i may know you from when i was younger, my dad knew you..

Cherry eye bridge is the one on the Caldon.

Regards

Dan

Cheers Dan

People did but there was a catch, If you took on the removal of a craft the downside was who were required to remove all the others as well.

Ian Riley took about three years in total to finish the job, recovering in the process some very interesting boats, there was a little ""Duker", a LNER motor maintenance boat, a Josher Butty, the inevitable "Joey" and much more wrecked almost beyond recognition.

There were mostly two layers of boats, the top ones had suffered very badly but the sunken ones were in a much better state.

Croxton Flash nearer Middlewich also has sunken boats, some still clearly visible today.

The Weaver stub end in Northwich is where a vast amount of craft were disposed of, here the river bed continues to be fluid snd many craft were dropped there, its depth varies but there must be boats on boats on boats in that location.

Winsford bottom flas also hosted wrecks as did the environs of Sutton Weaver level lock.

This is "Whatcroft flash" which nowadays is called Billinge Green:

gallery_5000_522_7617.jpg

gallery_5000_522_99314.jpg

gallery_5000_522_105544.jpg

gallery_5000_522_153528.jpg

gallery_5000_522_45547.jpg

As for the wooden hull there today it was placed to mark the edge of the farmers land which previously had been occupied by the illegally dumped working boats, it also acted as a refuge for water fowl, as to whether it is Brill I cannot help on that when first put there it had no name.

People did but there was a catch, If you took on the removal of a craft the downside was who were required to remove all the others as well.

Ian Riley took about three years in total to finish the job, recovering in the process some very interesting boats, there was a little ""Duker", a LNER motor maintenance boat, a Josher Butty, the inevitable "Joey" and much more wrecked almost beyond recognition.

There were mostly two layers of boats, the top ones had suffered very badly but the sunken ones were in a much better state.

Croxton Flash nearer Middlewich also has sunken boats, some still clearly visible today.

The Weaver stub end in Northwich is where a vast amount of craft were disposed of, here the river bed continues to be fluid snd many craft were dropped there, its depth varies but there must be boats on boats on boats in that location.

Winsford bottom flas also hosted wrecks as did the environs of Sutton Weaver level lock.

This is "Whatcroft flash" which nowadays is called Billinge Green:

As for the wooden hull there today it was placed to mark the edge of the farmers land which previously had been occupied by the illegally dumped working boats, it also acted as a refuge for water fowl, as to whether it is Brill I cannot help on that when first put there it had no name.

Cheers Laurence,

Whatcroft Flash thats the one i couldn't remember the name thats why referred to it as Billinge Green, as for "Brill" it has been a mystery for years i've always been unsure but i've had numerous people tell me it's Brill guess we'll never know..

My Dads Photo

1923971 34563575863 7977 N

Edited by Johnboy770

Cherry eye bridge is the one on the Caldon.

Regards

Dan

Yes, the bridge is on the Caldon. I had in the back of my mind the name 'peartree'. Thanks for correcting me.

Edited by Flyboy

I thought it was the Monty, yep i'm 100% on Leek tunnel and the bridge.

I notice your boat is called Phoebe, is it a butty by any chance? If so i may know you from when i was younger, my dad knew you..

Sorry to say John that my boat is not vintage, so not the butty you know.

I is confused. I always thought there were three flashed on the T & M;

Croxton Flash, Billinge Green Flash & Whatcroft Flash.

From CanalplanAC

Billinge Green Flash is a minor waterways place on the waterways major waterways place village town city on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Middlewich to Preston Brook) between Middlewich Bridge No 172 (Middlewich Town Centre) (4 miles and 2½ furlongs and 1 lock to the southeast) and Anderton Lift Junction (Trent and Mersey) (5 miles and 4 furlongs to the northwest).
The nearest place in the direction of Middlewich Bridge No 172 is Whatcroft Flash; 3 furlongs away.
The nearest place in the direction of Anderton Lift Junction (Trent and Mersey) is Billinge Green Bridge No 181; 1½ furlongs away.
From Google Earth:
Edited by Ray T

Sorry to say John that my boat is not vintage, so not the butty you know.

No worries, i just saw boats name and your age on your profile and thought you my have been an old friends of my dads, his daughter is named after the boat or verse versa..

Edited by Johnboy770