Haven't got a mooring?

Yamanx

Featured Posts

Come along and moor up at Norbury Junction on the SU. You can moor for weeks even months and months on the 5 day or the 48 hour moorings. Dont worry nobody will bother you because they've all been sacked.

You wont need any kind of licence or permission or money as its all free!

Plenty of mugs who now pay 15% more for their permit holders only places, but you can ingore the signs and you can even stick your boat on a long term mooring if theres a gap and there aint nobody gonna say bugger all. Total free-for-all situation.

Run out of space with boats moored at Norbury? I'm sure there are plenty of places up and down the SU now theres one bloke who covers hundreds of miles of canal and he doesnt do anything anyway, so come on down bring your mates plenty of free space to be had.

Come along and moor up at Norbury Junction on the SU. You can moor for weeks even months and months on the 5 day or the 48 hour moorings. Dont worry nobody will bother you because they've all been sacked.

You wont need any kind of licence or permission or money as its all free!

Plenty of mugs who now pay 15% more for their permit holders only places, but you can ingore the signs and you can even stick your boat on a long term mooring if theres a gap and there aint nobody gonna say bugger all. Total free-for-all situation.

Run out of space with boats moored at Norbury? I'm sure there are plenty of places up and down the SU now theres one bloke who covers hundreds of miles of canal and he doesnt do anything anyway, so come on down bring your mates plenty of free space to be had.

Do BW want people to work as enforcement officers on a commission only basis?

I'm up for it

I am very seriously considering giving up my £1000 a year mooring and just mooring for free on the SU.

There are so many boats that are and have been moored on short term moorings for months, there are four boats at Norbury and three at Wheaton Aston. Why dont I just do the same? Alternatively if I get moved along, which doesnt appear to happen and if it does it takes a good few months, then I'll move a few hundred yards up to the next road bridge and leave it there. Its not bridge hopping as I wont have to do any moving around, just pick a safe looking spot and leave it there.

One boat has been moored since November, without any hassle and another has been moored for a few weeks actually on the long term moorings in a vacant spot, without permission or payment and he's re-painting it there.

The SU is so remote in parts, there are some very smart boats just tied up in the middle of nowhere, so I reckon it wouldnt be so much effort to do the same. Most of the boats are licenced, they just dont pay for moorings. I dont blame them if the rules are so flimsey and not enforced in any shape or form, then why not save a £1000 a year?

My mooring recently went up by 15% and this is the straw thats broken the camels back. I could easily moor for free in the same area, plenty of others do, so I reckon thats what I'll do too.

Over staying on short term or even long term moorings is not right, and that is all there is to it. But unless someone police's it these people will continue to get away with it.

No to wrong's make a right, so I cannot see the point in giving up a mooring you pay for. I can understand how frustrated you are but you can bet your bottom dollar that you would be the one to get caught. And now you have high lighted it you can bet someone will be going to take a look LOL.

At 12 hour moorings where we are, 2 boats had been moored there since November, they finally moved over the weekend. Whether anyone had said anything to them I have no idea. These 12 hour moorings have disabled signs on them.

There are many out there who are selfish and disrespectful, but that does not mean we have to lower ourselves to join them. I think if you have a paid mooring you should keep it, but I do understand how you feel.

Edited by Jo

Ok, mooring at short term moorings for long periods is being inconsiderate.

But mooring out in the countryside isn't, doesn't bother anyone, BW wont do anything and its free, good call I'd say?

But mooring out in the countryside isn't, doesn't bother anyone, BW wont do anything and its free, good call I'd say?

Ah but it bothers those who resent slowing down past moored boats.

Ah but it bothers those who resent slowing down past moored boats.

Policy on slowing down for moored boats on the Shroppie:

1. All boats on recognised moorings - pass slowly

2. Obviously occupied boats moored elsewhere - pass slowly

3. Boats moored elsewhere that weren't there last time I came along - pass slowly

4. Unoccupied boats that are not on official moorings and have been there as long as I can remember - keep going!

Thats ok, I'll tie it up nice and tight, plenty of fenders, batten down the hatches and secure everything inside. Go past as fast as you like. For a grand a year I'll put up with that. :)

Thats ok, I'll tie it up nice and tight, plenty of fenders, batten down the hatches and secure everything inside. Go past as fast as you like. For a grand a year I'll put up with that. :)

£1,000 buys a lot of good mooring pins. and it's £1,000 every year so in an average boating lifetime that's £30k which pays for the boat. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME TOO.

3. Boats moored elsewhere that weren't there last time I came along - pass slowly

4. Unoccupied boats that are not on official moorings and have been there as long as I can remember - keep going!

Why not full throttle ahead? Everyone gets equal treatment regardless of mooring status.

(At least thats the philosophy some passsing boaters seem to practise!)

Dont think any of that is law on the witham most of them seem to try to get there wash on top of BW floating pontoons

But when you tell em that youve just had a 4 day cruise to Torksey and back they love to tell ya that that should only take you one and a half days

Dont think they ve got the hang of boating its all about poseing round here :)

Dont think any of that is law on the witham most of them seem to try to get there wash on top of BW floating pontoons

But when you tell em that youve just had a 4 day cruise to Torksey and back they love to tell ya that that should only take you one and a half days

Dont think they ve got the hang of boating its all about poseing round here :)

Arent most boaters just a bunch of poseurs anyway?

Pull the pins out, leave it to drift across the cut, inconvenience the next few boats to go past (regardless of their mooring/ licence status) until someone is decent enough to stop and put right your inconsiderate behaviour. Nice!

And after I've stopped, pulled it in, moored it back up often using one of my spare pins because his has disappeared into the mud. Who do you think is being cursed? The boatowner who's boat I've just rescued or the prat who nominated himself judge, jury and patrol officer and went past deliberately fast?

Edited by carlt

Pull the pins out, leave it to drift across the cut, inconvenience the next few boats to go past (regardless of their mooring/ licence status) until someone is decent enough to stop and put right your inconsiderate behaviour. Nice!

And after I've stopped, pulled it in, moored it back up often using one of my spare pins because his has disappeared into the mud. Who do you think is being cursed? The boatowner who's boat I've just rescued or the prat who nominated himself judge, jury and patrol officer and went past deliberately fast?

Given that boats are not permitted to simply annexe a stretch of towpath that they fancy for as long as they fancy, then clearly anything that appears to be a boat doing just that is a figment of the imagination, and there is nothing that requires you to slow down for figments of the imagination.

I can't say that your response surprises me, as it is in line with your previous attitudes that we should all do nothing about those who flout the rules, and leave it entirely to BW to catch them. Clearly this will mean that fewer rule breakers are brought to book.

Of course, I suspect that this is what you actually want to achieve.

It bothers me.

Just like all manner of other inconsiderate behaviour, things would grind to a halt if everybody did the same.

I prefer a fair system where some people don't take advantage of others.

I can't say that your response surprises me, as it is in line with your previous attitudes that we should all do nothing about those who flout the rules, and leave it entirely to BW to catch them. Clearly this will mean that fewer rule breakers are brought to book.

Of course, I suspect that this is what you actually want to achieve.

Rubbish!

I just don't like self appointed busy bodies making negative assumptions about people they know nothing about and then doling out whatever punishment they see fit. When someone speeds past a boat because they've assumed it shouldn't be there, pulling out the pins, the only people who are 'punished' are the boaters who have to weave past the loose boat.

Just like all manner of other inconsiderate behaviour, things would grind to a halt if everybody did the same.

A bit like idiots blocking the cut after pulling a moored boat's pins loose you mean? Twice we've agreed in one night! I knew you'd come round in the end.

It seems to me that much of the whingeing about overstayers, non-payers etc etc is done by people whose boats are stuck in marinas or on permanent moorings and they themselves are stuck behind desks on sunny days. The postings say more about their own (understandable) jealousy than the reality of the situation on the canals.

I know I will be hated and reviled for saying this, but Ha! Who cares! I'm snatching this posting in a beautiful resting-place in the countryside, swaying trees, birds singing, coffee on the stove - not bitterly thinking up petty ways to take out my frustrations on others.

It seems to me that much of the whingeing about overstayers, non-payers etc etc is done by people whose boats are stuck in marinas or on permanent moorings and they themselves are stuck behind desks on sunny days. The postings say more about their own (understandable) jealousy than the reality of the situation on the canals.

I know I will be hated and reviled for saying this, but Ha! Who cares! I'm snatching this posting in a beautiful resting-place in the countryside, swaying trees, birds singing, coffee on the stove - not bitterly thinking up petty ways to take out my frustrations on others.

Poppycock

(With respect)

Nonsense. If I were moored permanently in a marina I wouldn't give two hoots if people were overstaying on visitor moorings etc. I do care because I go cruising and then cannot stop because boats are left semi-permanently on 24 hour moorings, Whilst I don't advocate settimng them adrift, I do believe in notifying BW of these abuses.

Graham

It's a lovely day, think I'll just throw a little derision in the direction of those for whom it is raining.