Beta 43 fuel consumption

tonyt40

Featured Posts

Can anybody give me a clue as to the hourly fuel consumption of a Beta 43? The boat is new to us and we are planning our first major trip and I haven't got a clue how far I am likely to get before I need more fuel.

Thanks

Edited by tonyt40

A Beta43 has big alternators and maybe a Travelpower. The alternators sap a lot of power when working hard and even when not working hard, if you have 3 alternators that is 3 fans pushing air around and creating drag. Also with 43hp to play with you might be using 3 hp to chug gently along a shallow canal or 30hp to thrash up a river.

All that said we find about 1.7 litres an hour on the canals at 1300rpm but we are heavy electrical consumers.

Remember that with diesels it is best not to run the fuel too low as there is often some crud in the bottom of the tank and with low fuel, this all sloshes around and can then get sucked up into the fuel system. I'd suggest not going below 1/4 full.

Edited by nicknorman

Mine has a standard alternator and a 175a for the domestic batteries. I am taking some fuel down today and I'll have a look in to see if I can determine how much is in an how much water and crap is in the bottom.

Suggestion :

Dip your tank with a piece of wood,

Fill with fuel until dip stick shows about 6" from the bottom.

Mark this on your dip-stich with a hacksaw blade (other methods are available)

Use this mark as your 'empty' line. The fuel pick up is often 2" above the bottom of the tank, so the extra 3 or 4" act as an emergency reserve.

Add 20 litres (about 10 hours running time) and mark your dip-stick again. When your fuel level gets to this point it is time to find a diesel seller.

You can if you wish (I did) repeat the process and mark your dipstick every 20 litres so you know how much you have used / have left.

Many (most ?) NBs fuel tanks are in the region of 200 litres and to minimise condensation (which leads to a build up of water in the tank) it is best to keep them as full as possible.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Mine has a standard alternator and a 175a for the domestic batteries. I am taking some fuel down today and I'll have a look in to see if I can determine how much is in an how much water and crap is in the bottom.

If there is any visible water it would be well worth trying to suck it out. Water in the fuel may lead to the formation of the dreaded diesel bug. Since the boat is new to you, can I also suggest you check the O ring on the filler cap. If it is perished at all, replace it. If it is not perished, smear a bit of silicone grease on it. You don't want it leaking and thus allowing rainwater to drip in.

If the fuel filler is on the stern that probably means a tank in the counter. With this type of tank it is easy to make a dipstick and mark it off in litres or whatever.

We ran out of fuel the first weekend we went out on our boat. Embarrassing!

51' boat, Beta 43 engine, probably a little on the big side for the length but I prefer that to it being underpowered.

I keep a record of fuel consumption by always filling the tank when refuelling and dividing the refill by engine hours since the last one. It's a bit rule of thumb depending on exactly how full 'full' is. I've had figures in the range of 1.3 to 2.1 litres per hour so work on using 1.5 litres per hour.

Having run out once I don't want to do it again so I get a bit twitchy if I think we're getting near empty.

My Beta 43 in a 57' Piper hull uses about 1.5 litres per hour cruising at between 1250 and 1400 rpm. I have a not unusually sized 450 litre tank and I'd only be in danger of running out of fuel if I really didn't bother checking - certainly not for neglecting to carefully plan fuel stops! :) I made a dipstick showing percentage fill, which I find easy to work with. Just follow the advice above and check your level frequently (I'd say weekly) til you get a feel for your boat.

Good luck with the first trip - mine was 2 months crossing the country in January - March and was enormously enjoyable! (No fuel stop needed en route)

I have a Beta 43 in a 56ft boat. I allow for 1.5l per hour. But and it is a big but, if going against the flow on a river I have used over 6l per hour, and going up the river Severn that can easily be 7 hours, so getting on for 45l.

This link shows the official fuel consumption graph for a Beta 43.

http://betamarine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/technical_data_sheets/inland_data/B43-IDS-0311.pdf

We have a 60 ft narrowboat with Beta 43 fitted with Traveller and 175A domestic alternator. On our first trip we ran dry at the end of the 9th day. Most days were about 8 hours running time since we are gas free and use the engine for cooking. The tank is about 100 litres and lasted around 65 hours, giving about 1.5 litres per hour.

We have a 60 ft narrowboat with Beta 43 fitted with Traveller and 175A domestic alternator. On our first trip we ran dry at the end of the 9th day. Most days were about 8 hours running time since we are gas free and use the engine for cooking. The tank is about 100 litres and lasted around 65 hours, giving about 1.5 litres per hour.

Hmmm, nine days from full to empty (which you really should never get near) means you're desperate for fuel even before week one is out. I trust that modification #1 was to fit a bigger tank?

No idea how many litres per hour even after 12 years but if a comparison is of any interest several years ago my colleague on an accompanying Izusu engined boat filled up at Wheaton Aston. We then cruised up to Llangollen and back down. We filled up again at the marina on the Shroppie Middlewich arm having done the same mileage at the same speed with no extra running. Hehad used 28 litres, 46 litres were required to fill Midnight's tank with a Beta 43.

Edited to add: I had fitted a Mastervolt alternator but he had a travelpack

Edited by Midnight

My friend did the same in a new Liverpool boat for the same reason. He had a bigger tank fitted

Fuel consumption can vary enormously depending on steerer and canal.

When we had a share in a 58 foot boat with a BBC 1.8 engine I was asked to coordinate the fuel consumption figures for all owners.

Each owner provided me with the fuel used, hours run and number of lock-miles covered during their holiday, which I compiled into a spreadsheet.

Fuel consumption varied from 1.4 to 2.2 litres per hour. Strangely it was me who book-ended the figures.

Edited to remove a spurious worm.

Edited by cuthound

Thanks guys. I have filled it today (added 60 litres) and added some biocide. I had a look down the filler and took a sample from the drain at the bottom of the tank. There was no water present. I also drained a jam jar full of fuel from the aglomerater. That was also free of water and crud so fingers crossed we are good to go. I will experiment with a dip stick and may eventually fit the fuel gauge hit that the previous owner left in the boat.

Edited by tonyt40

Thanks guys. I have filled it today (added 60 litres) and added some biocide. I had a look down the filler and took a sample from the drain at the bottom of the tank. There was no water present. I also drained a jam jar full of fuel from the aglomerater. That was also free of water and crud so fingers crossed we are good to go. I will experiment with a dip stick and may eventually fit the fuel gauge hit that the previous owner left in the boat.

Dip stick is more reliable. You added 60 Lt how much was already in there?

If you can see down the filler to the reflection of the light from the surface of the fuel, then instead of pushing your steel tape measure all the way in it is better just to lower it in until the reflection breaks up. That way you measure the distance from the top of the tank and you can simply subtract from the depth of the tank to tell the depth of the fuel. That way, you dont risk stirring up anything from the bottom of the tank when you withdraw the tape there is only a drop of diesel on the end instead of a load of diesel dripping off a long length of the tape.