oil or acrylic paint

Featured Posts

I know from painting doors in my house that water based paints are a load of c**p!

Sadly, with white paint, the EU had decreed that oil based paint must not contain the additive that keeps it white - therefore it "yellows" within weeks.

Boat paints are probably similar - the car shop is probably not allowed oil based paint because if a rat inhales the fumes for three years with no oxygen it will become sick.

Thank you EU for yet another stupid regulation that only the UK adheres to.

Acording to valspar a paint co in 2017 you wont be able to buy oil based anymore so i will probably go oil this time.

Neil

The undefinable 'they' have been predicting this for the last 10 years - one day they may prove right.

Hi all,

I need to give my boat a final gloss coat of paint and talking to a car painter mate was told they only use acrylic paints now that are water based, would they be as good as normal oil based boat paint?

Neil

Cellulose paint has gone the same way however there are exceptions. You can't buy it for industrial use however you can buy it for restoration work etc. I would expect that oil based paint would still be available, but would become difficult to get hold of.

If your in the market to replicate the look of a traditional brush paint job then acrylic can look a bit 'plasticky' which could look a bit odd on a historic boat.

Having said that 2 pack acrylic is incredibly hard wearing and does not require such a thick coat to obtain the same level of protection. It can be applied by air gun or brush depending on the formula.

Single pack acrylic is a bit different in that it is air dry so lacks build.

The ultimate is 2 pack polyurethane so I have been told.

what is the evidence for that statement?

The additive - two different paint suppliers.

The UK following directives while other countries ignore them - history!

which proves what exactly?

That in Spain the "Yoofs" are allowed to ignore the helmet law - in the UK you get clobbered by the law.

On a slightly different note I used "Tekaloid" synthetic enamel to paint my boat two years ago. It hasn't faded yet!

I use Tractol agriculture machine paint. Can be sprayed or brushed. Has lasted well and costs £10.00plus VAT for 1 litre. Far better results for me than the International paint I used previously and does not chalk. Obviously,the range of colours is limited.

That in Spain the "Yoofs" are allowed to ignore the helmet law - in the UK you get clobbered by the law.

there are many laws that are routinely ignored in the UK.

Littering, phoning (and texting, even worse) while driving, riding bikes on the pavement, illegal numberplates, illegally loud exhausts, .................. oh, and excessive speed on the waterways.

I would be happy to use any paint that keeps the water away from the steel and doesn't blister if I leave my boat out in the snow. Does anyone know of one?

Funny enough I do.

I painted lot's of external metal with good results. Humble Hammerite.

I field tested Hammerite as follows. I got a 6 foot long 3" wide strip of plastic approx 5mm thick. Using sandpaper I rubbed it rough and painted two coats of Hammerite. When dry I bent the plastic into a circle and to my suprise it did not disbond or crack. I do agree however it does not take a edge blow well.

Edited by mark99

The additive - two different paint suppliers.

The UK following directives while other countries ignore them - history!

On a slightly different note I used "Tekaloid" synthetic enamel to paint my boat two years ago. It hasn't faded yet!

Well that's a bit odd....cycling in Spain helmet wearing is compulsory, but not here in UK. And they are quite strict about it too.

I field tested Hammerite as follows. I got a 6 foot long 3" wide strip of plastic approx 5mm thick. Using sandpaper I rubbed it rough and painted two coats of Hammerite. When dry I bent the plastic into a circle and to my suprise it did not disbond or crack. I do agree however it does not take a edge blow well.

Your test not really adequate has hammerite takes a number of weeks to harden properly. it slowly hardens to full strength when in contact with oxygen in the air I seem to recall. Try bending your test strip in a few months time.

Your test not really adequate has hammerite takes a number of weeks to harden properly. it slowly hardens to full strength when in contact with oxygen in the air I seem to recall. Try bending your test strip in a few months time.

For avoidance of doubt I don't recommend painting a full narrowboat in Hammerite. But it's good for the odd detail that does not get bashed. But that was not Brians question.