Pilot for tidal Trent torksey to cromwell

barkings

Featured Posts

I'm a female single hander and wondering if anyone would pilot my 57' narrowboat from torksey to Cromwell sometime in May. I just don't feel I have enough experience to manage it on my own? Plenty of tea/coffee and bacon sandwiches on offer and willing to cover expenses or pay a fee if required.

Sadly this is outside my normal range, I am more about the Tidal Thames and the Southern waterways. If ever you are single handed and need crew help from the Midlands down to the south then I am available to jump on the motorcycle to come up and help. I don't charge, but it is nice if I get fed and watered occasionally. This can be for a one day or longer trip if needed. If you need me in the future you can get me on 07704 249 523. Ian, The Boater.

Sadly this is outside my normal range, I am more about the Tidal Thames and the Southern waterways. If ever you are single handed and need crew help from the Midlands down to the south then I am available to jump on the motorcycle to come up and help. I don't charge, but it is nice if I get fed and watered occasionally. This can be for a one day or longer trip if needed. If you need me in the future you can get me on 07704 249 523. Ian, The Boater.

Thank you, Boater, that's really good to know for the future.

Sounds like a job for Tony Dunkley,

Any ideas on how I could contact him, please?

Its torksey to cromwell!!! Last of the tidal reach, just get the guide from the trent association?? I think thats the name and you shouldnt have any problems.

I appreciate if you are new to it and on your own it can seem daunting....just wait for another boat(s) and tag along?

As long as you keep in the wet bit it shouldnt be too difficult(shoals excepted...but thats why you bought the guide maps!!)

Edited by The Lockie

Its torksey to cromwell!!! Last of the tidal reach, just get the guide from the trent association?? I think thats the name and you shouldnt have any problems.

I appreciate if you are new to it and on your own it can seem daunting....just wait for another boat(s) and tag along?

As long as you keep in the wet bit it shouldnt be too difficult(shoals excepted...but thats why you bought the guide maps!!)

http://theboatingassociation.co.uk/index.php/store/#!/Publications/c/2703498/offset=0&sort=normal

I would say that you need to study these guides beforehand, ie not just open them up for the first time when you come out of the lock at Torksey...

How did you get onto The Fossdyke in the first place, or did you buy the boat Lincoln/Boston way or was it craned in there?

I only ask because the journey up is really no more difficult than the one down it.

In fact I often find the journey down more tricky due to the need to turn into Torksey (a right angle which is also on a bend) whereas leaving Torksey is easy.

I live in Lincoln so if you need help just shout. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's not the going along the Trent that bothers me so much, it's the fact that I am single handing that worries me more. I'll definitely send for the map (and study it before I go, ). I'm sure I'll be okay to go on my own, I just felt that if someone came with me that knew the Trent well, I would feel more confident to go on my own in the future. I will tag along with some other boats.

Ps my boat came up with the previous owners

Tony Dunkley has kindly offered me some advice so will be contacting him too. Am feeling more confident already, haha!