Featured Posts

I want to use my SmartGauge to enable the domestic 12V electrics and disconnect them if the SoC gets below 50%.

For this I need a relay. This relay has got to be reliable or I will have no lighting etc!

I like the sound of the relay that Gibbo provides with the SmartBank. Is this suitable?

He refuses to sell it except as part of a SmartBank. Annoying, but it is his call. If I buy one with a SmartBank, is there any market for the unwanted SmartBank?

Or is there an alternative available anywhere?

Any thoughts?

I bought the same or a very similar one for another use - I think it is / was called a contactor, rather than a relay, and it is rated at 200A continuous (British amps not Chinese amps !) Its a pretty big and chunky device with huge contacts - I will see if I can find where I got it / more info and edit this.

ETA - This was what mine looks like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Albright-Contactor-SW200A-16-12V-CO-/391356924556?hash=item5b1eb0c28c:g:SngAAOSwgQ9VzfdU

As Giant says, you need to know what the max current it will need to pass is, fuse accordingly, and get a relay / contactor that will more than handle that current....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I wouldn't have thought there's anything special about that relay.

In order to find a suitable part the main thing you would need to know is the maximum current it will have to carry and switch. How much current can your domestics collectively draw?

Bearing in mind this relay is going to be energised all the time the domestics are on, I would be concerned about the power consumption of a big relay like that. It might be better to get a bistable (latching) relay ie it is powered to switch it on, powered to switch it off again, and in the mean time not powered.

Something like this:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/6900808/

Edited to mention that if you want it controlled by a SB you might have to add some electronics to briefly apply the switching power when the SB changes state, but I'm sure that is within your capabilities!

Edited by nicknorman

I wouldn't have thought there's anything special about that relay.

So why did Gibbo go to so much trouble to create/organise it, and why would he be so protective about a run-of-the-mill relay?

So he will not sell you one on it's own. Not much use if you buy a boat with a smartbank fitted with a failed relay. One to be avoided.

The whole point of it is that it is NOT cheap chinese rubbish and doesn't fail.

I'm sure they would sell you a replacement on production of a failed one if that ever happened.

Nick & Nick - thanks, I will follow it up.

Nick & Nick - thanks, I will follow it up.

What is slightly confusing is that the relay I linked to is in RS' "non-latching relay" section and the description is a "non-latching relay" but that is pants, it is a latching relay as the datasheet and connections shows

The relay is available from the manufacturer, only problem is I can't remember the makers name.

think it begins with B....

I think it's Albright.

Also available from Warn winch distributers. (Although, for this application, a latching one might be better)

e.t.a Beaten to it!!

Edited by Iain_S

What is slightly confusing is that the relay I linked to is in RS' "non-latching relay" section and the description is a "non-latching relay" but that is pants, it is a latching relay as the datasheet and connections shows

Yup, I noticed that and brought it to their attention.

Tony