Spotted at Sea!

Frog Man

Featured Posts

Balderdash! Many of us have made the trip up the Bristol Channel from Portishead to Sharpness. When we did the run (with a pilot I hasten to add) it felt very much like being at sea!

Fair enough If you think it is Balderdash. We'll just have to disagree.

Howard

We did it from Limehouse to Ramsgate to Dunkirk July 2013 in our 58' narrowboat and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Well done. Mrs Loafer and I crossed the Channel 4 times in our 5 years of living on a yacht, all of the at the wide end from Falmouth. Always OK if you have the right boat and the right weather.

Hello all, I thought some members might be interested in this pic! :-) (Taken today in Ramsgate.)

Hmm I think the lady that owns that has offshore qualifications .......

Rumour has it that a second one arrives later this month!

PS The Lady is also very clever so I will be surprised if she ventures out too far. Hmm how far is too far?

We did it from Limehouse to Ramsgate to Dunkirk July 2013 in our 58' narrowboat and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I think you were waiting in Limehouse as we left but we turned right!

I have seen the odd mention of the trip but did you ever write it up in a blog or similar. On second thoughts I don't want to know as really don't want to be tempted. Mind you if we find in the summer that getting to the medway is not that bad . . .

The Bristol Channel up from Portishead to Sharpness is an experience and certainly shouldn't be done with out suitable preparations, which includes a pilot is one thing but trust me is a totally different experience to crossing the English Channel.

I would love to go up to Sharpness on a canal boat, have been there on larger tonnage, but English Channel I will leave to vessels designed for crossing it. BTW I have sailed both stretch's of water in small sailing yachts (25ft Westerly) as well as larger ships.

The key, surely, is the weather. Our Bristol Channel pilot made us wait until the forecast was for Force 3 or less. Would the English Channel be any worse in the right weather conditions?

We went from Teddington to Limehouse a couple of years ago with another NB, who had crossed the channel both ways. They said the Thames between Westminster and Limehouse was rougher and much more frightening than the channel crossing. (It was a bit choppy and we had waves/wash slopping over the rear deck as well as prop in air from time to time). I would be happy to cross on suitable tides and water conditions, with a pilot.