Spotted at Sea!

Frog Man

Featured Posts

In Narrow Dog to Carcassonne didn't they sail their narrowboat across the Channel? I can't remember the author though. (I read it because I was travelling around the Midi, so was less focused on the boating aspects than I would be if I re-read it now!)

terry darlington, saw him out last week up the leicester arm.

There have been quite a few narrowboats and widebeams across the channel (bless them) most have taken the right precautions and had front covers secured and other modifications before passage. its a busy sea channel to navigate at 4mph.

? :-/

Right. There is a popular story about narrowboats going to Dunkirk as part of the evacuation. It never happened, it was a story spread by someone in the historic boat world as a joke. Unfortunately, it has become 'true' by retelling

On the other hand, narrowboats regularly went to the Dunkirk branch of the BCN:

Dunkirk+Branch+22.2.10.jpg

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/dunkirk-branch-canal-bcn.html

Which I guess is where this particular story became so successful. A good fabrication always works best when grown from a kernel of truth

Richard

Put it on a lorry

Richard

fully agree, canal boats are great on canals but are not seaworthy unless heavily modified! That's before having to deal with the navigation challenges!

Rather them than me round North Foreland !!!

On an under powered boat if you time it right and get there around slack water which from memory is about 1 hour before HW Dover you can pick up a knot of tide that will help push you along towards the Swale for a couple of hours so if you can make 5.5 Kts in still water you could just about do it before you have to start punching it..............I still wouldn't fancy it though, not on something like that

Balderdash! Many of us have made the trip up the Bristol Channel from Portishead to Sharpness. When we did the run (with a pilot I hasten to add) it felt very much like being at sea!

The Bristol Channel up from Portishead to Sharpness is an experience and certainly shouldn't be done with out suitable preparations, which includes a pilot is one thing but trust me is a totally different experience to crossing the English Channel.

I would love to go up to Sharpness on a canal boat, have been there on larger tonnage, but English Channel I will leave to vessels designed for crossing it. BTW I have sailed both stretch's of water in small sailing yachts (25ft Westerly) as well as larger ships.