Hosepipes

tonyt40

Featured Posts

There are potentially 100s of replies to this question.

W have tried many different types of hoses, from standard 'garden hose', thru' 'lay-flat' to hoses on a reel but have now ended up with 2 of the 'magic hose' that shrinks to a 'handful' size, but expands to a full length hose when under pressure.

Length wise - we have a 25 foot and a 75 foot, they can be joined when you cannot get close to a tap, you can use just one when needed, and if one gets damaged you still have a 'back-up'.

Edit to add link (it doesn't need the sprayer to work, just remove it - it uses standard 'hozelok' fitings)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75FT-STRETCHY-EXPANDING-STRETCH-MEGA-EXPANDABLE-GARDEN-HOSE-FREE-SPRAY-GUN-BLUE-/131778260015?hash=item1eae98ac2f:g:KdsAAOSwAvJXC9F7

At that price you could afford to get a new one every week !!!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

W have tried many different types of hoses, from standard 'garden hose', thru' 'lay-flat' to hoses on a reel but have now ended up with 2 of the 'magic hose' that shrinks to a 'handful' size, but expands to a full length hose when under pressure.

Length wise - we have a 25 foot and a 75 foot, they can be joined when you cannot get close to a tap, you can use just one when needed, and if one gets damaged you still have a 'back-up'.

Edit to add link (it doesn't need the sprayer to work, just remove it - it uses standard 'hozelok' fitings)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75FT-STRETCHY-EXPANDING-STRETCH-MEGA-EXPANDABLE-GARDEN-HOSE-FREE-SPRAY-GUN-BLUE-/131778260015?hash=item1eae98ac2f:g:KdsAAOSwAvJXC9F7

I would be very interested in comparing the flow rate through one of those to through a standard half inch hose of the same length. I suspect the magic one would be quite a bit lower. from the same supply of course.

the 'magic hose' that shrinks to a 'handful' size, but expands to a full length hose when under pressure.

The late Kenneth Williams would have had a field day with that description.

Self Draining! whats that all about then?

Once your tank is full, lay the hose along the bank / pontoon.#

Turn off the tap

The hose 'shrivels up' ( O-vicar), and as it does so the water in the hose drains out.

The hose retracts itself, until all the hose is empty.

Its great fun watching the end of the hose gradually creep towards you.

Watch the video at 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhG-SJTanhs

Wit a conventional hose you need to drain the water out of it before putting it away - this is self draining

I bought one of those magic hoses. It began springing tiny leaks along its length after about 3 uses. After a few months it was literally falling apart so I binned it. I suspect the quality varies hugely. The £5.99 from ebay one will be at one end of the spectrum.

I bought one of those magic hoses. It began springing tiny leaks along its length after about 3 uses. After a few months it was literally falling apart so I binned it. I suspect the quality varies hugely. The £5.99 from ebay one will be at one end of the spectrum.

I am sure you are correct.

I purchased ours some years ago (I think it was £19.99 for the 75 foot one)

It has had some heavy usage, been run over by bikes on the towpath, screwed up, 'over-stretched' when we just needed that extra few inches, and (touch wood) never had a leak.

I would be very interested in comparing the flow rate through one of those to through a standard half inch hose of the same length. I suspect the magic one would be quite a bit lower. from the same supply of course.

I have never made the comparison having 'binned' the old standard PVC hose due to too many kinks etc restricting the flow.

I am sure you are correct.

I purchased ours some years ago (I think it was £19.99 for the 75 foot one)

It has had some heavy usage, been run over by bikes on the towpath, screwed up, 'over-stretched' when we just needed that extra few inches, and (touch wood) never had a leak.

I have never made the comparison having 'binned' the old standard PVC hose due to too many kinks etc restricting the flow.

Oh them extra few inches.clapping.gif

Neil

What ever one you get, always flush it through before using.

You don't want to jettison spiders, louse, earwigs and mink straight into your tank.

Zen

I didn't mean Mink, I meant other crawpy creelies that live in your front locker.blush.png

I use a food grade (blue colour) flat hose on a reel. Food grade avoids contamination and the 'disinfectant' taste normally associated with the yellow/green garden hose types. I know others may say food grade is not necessary but I go with the science on this. The flat hose allows you to squeeze out the water after use and makes for easier stowage

I use a food grade (blue colour) flat hose on a reel. Food grade avoids contamination and the 'disinfectant' taste normally associated with the yellow/green garden hose types. I know others may say food grade is not necessary but I go with the science on this. The flat hose allows you to squeeze out the water after use and makes for easier stowage

Flat hose on a reel also means that you need to un-wrap the full length even if the tap is only 6 feet away.

Flat hose on a reel also means that you need to un-wrap the full length even if the tap is only 6 feet away.

Indeed. And the repeated dilation and flattening will always result in wear and leaks. And it's almost impossible to buy replacement hose without the reel at an excessive price. Even if it is blue!

I've recently gone from a conventional hose on a reel to a 'magic hose'. One big plus in my view is the flexibility. In any temperature below about 20c I found the reel hose almost unmanageable - it would retain its coils and leap into the water when I wasn't looking. The 'pass through' reel was handy but was a bit rigid for storage. I haven't had the magic for long enough to assess durability but, as others comment, they are cheap enough to replace. But it folds itself up, remains flexible and, once expanded, stays where it is put. It fits into a much smaller box which will fit into a much smaller space. I can't comment on flow rate but every hose I've ever used seems to take an eternity to fill the tank anyway. Its all down to personal choice.

Indeed. And the repeated dilation and flattening will always result in wear and leaks. And it's almost impossible to buy replacement hose without the reel at an excessive price. Even if it is blue!

Had mine 8 years plus and no probs. Agreed you have to unwind the whole length but it's done in minutes. All down to personal choice

I've recently gone from a conventional hose on a reel to a 'magic hose'. One big plus in my view is the flexibility. In any temperature below about 20c I found the reel hose almost unmanageable - it would retain its coils and leap into the water when I wasn't looking. The 'pass through' reel was handy but was a bit rigid for storage. I haven't had the magic for long enough to assess durability but, as others comment, they are cheap enough to replace. But it folds itself up, remains flexible and, once expanded, stays where it is put. It fits into a much smaller box which will fit into a much smaller space. I can't comment on flow rate but every hose I've ever used seems to take an eternity to fill the tank anyway. Its all down to personal choice.

And size of tank.

Neil

As a hirer I always find it infuriating if the hose is shorter than the boat as inevitably the tap is at the stern end of the available mooring. So my advice on length would be go at least 20ft longer than the boat.