Hosepipes

tonyt40

Featured Posts

There are potentially 100s of replies to this question.

W have tried many different types of hoses, from standard 'garden hose', thru' 'lay-flat' to hoses on a reel but have now ended up with 2 of the 'magic hose' that shrinks to a 'handful' size, but expands to a full length hose when under pressure.

I bought one of those only to read in the instructions "DO NOT USE FOR POTABLE WATER". I had a flat blue hose on a reel before that which was made of food grade plastic. I think I'll get another one of those instead.

As a hirer I always find it infuriating if the hose is shorter than the boat as inevitably the tap is at the stern end of the available mooring. So my advice on length would be go at least 20ft longer than the boat.

I would go for two hoses (or cut a longer one). One about 20ft and other about the 40ft, that way if the tap is close you just need to use the short hose.

I use a food grade (blue colour) flat hose on a reel. Food grade avoids contamination and the 'disinfectant' taste normally associated with the yellow/green garden hose types. I know others may say food grade is not necessary but I go with the science on this. The flat hose allows you to squeeze out the water after use and makes for easier stowage

Standard hose is fine for use over when filling up your tank. You only need food-grade hose when it is permanently in contact with drinking water (as in internal plumbing in the boat). But it is a good idea to allow water to flow through the hose before putting the end in the tank filler, both to blow out any bugs or dirt, but also to flush out any water which may have gained a slight taint through lying in the hose since it was last used. And give it an extra long flush through before the first use.

Edited by David Mack

On the main boat I have an ordinary garden hose (The yellow one it seems to withstand UV better than the green ones)

On the yoghurt pot I have a lay flat in a wind up cassette.....yes it can be a bit of a pain unwinding it all and it doesn't like sharp bends when in use but it is incredibly compact when rolled up and on a 25'6" narrow beam that is VERY important

We have a couple of CK hoses short and long.

Expensive food safe not really necessary in my opinion, a good quality standard hose is perfectly ok.

Flushing the hose for a few minutes will wash away any bacteria and plasticiser chemicals. Thing is, if plasticiser leaches to the extent that some food safe manufacturers claim, the plastic wouldn't stay flexible for very long!

Pay your money take your choice really.

We have a couple of CK hoses short and long.

Expensive food safe not really necessary in my opinion, a good quality standard hose is perfectly ok.

Flushing the hose for a few minutes will wash away any bacteria and plasticiser chemicals. Thing is, if plasticiser leaches to the extent that some food safe manufacturers claim, the plastic wouldn't stay flexible for very long!

Not really as the plasticisers will only leach from the hose's inner surfaces. The rest of the wall thickness of the hose will remain unaffected. It's not just manufacturers of food grade plastics who claim that plasticisers leach into substances in contact with plastics by the way, it's a known fact that the quantities migrating from plastics can affect human health.

I'm not necessarily disputing whether or not one needs a food grade hose on a boat, just your assertion about the effect of plasticisers leaching and a hose's flexibility. Food grade hoses also contain plasticisers by the way which also leach out over time, they're just different plasticisers.

Edited by Claude

Not really as the plasticisers will only leach from the hose's inner surfaces. The rest of the wall thickness of the hose will remain unaffected. It's not just manufacturers of food grade plastics who claim that plasticisers leach into substances in contact with plastics by the way, it's a known fact that the quantities migrating from plastics can affect human health.

I'm not necessarily disputing whether or not one needs a food grade hose on a boat, just your assertion about the effect of plasticisers leaching and a hose's flexibility. Food grade hoses also contain plasticisers by the way which also leach out over time, they're just different plasticisers.

Well isn't that point I was trying to make?

We just use a length of decent grade 'knitted' (rather than co-ax re-enforcement) green garden hose.

- Hard to get less than 20m, but we then cut it into a 5-6m and a 15ish m length and can they uses one, other, or both depending on distance.

- Most of the more expensive one are food grade anyway, but I also agree that assuming you run a hose-lengths water through before putting the end in the tank, its not going to be an issue.

Daniel

£45 for a hosepipe!!! That's even more than I meant by 'excessive' in post #19.

£45 for a hosepipe!!! That's even more than I meant by 'excessive' in post #19.

It is sold by a chandler so that must be worth extra.

We have a standard hose (90ft at a guess) yaller stuff on a pass through reel. I like the looks of the shrinky expandy thing, though. We have a 1000l tank and I add about 20ml of thin bleach to the tap end of the hose once I have flushed it though. Keeps the hose and the tank sweet.

N

Thanks folks for your feedback. I think I'm going to stay away from the expensive options. The magic hose type product looks good but I'm not sure how "fresh" it will stay with all those wrinkles? I think I'm going to invest in a new standard hose and reel for now and cut the hose as suggested.