My Ruston & Hornsby could be dead...

casper ghost

Featured Posts

After stripping the engine it has now been declared dead. Too much internal wear and damage. It would take too much money to rebuild and too many parts needed, some of which we haven't been able to find. Something has seized in the governor so I'm surprised it ran. All the bearings are worn etc. Anyway it's dead... So now to find another engine. Pics to follow when I'm home. Casp'

If you don't buy the 2VSH, I'll have it!

I received photos of this 2VSH today. It's not quite how I imagined it... The owner says it was fully rebuilt and the company that did it fitted a plate onto the engine to specify what they had done, all good, until you see the date; 1979.... The engine is covered in cob webs and has surface rust all over it. No idea how hard to worked between it's rebuild and now, so I won't be driving to London to look at that..

Casp'

£1500.. I don't really want to end up with another engine in need of work.

Casp'

Hmmmm that's the sort of price which screams 'unknown quantity' to me, which in turn usually means rebuild time...

Has it been marinised or is it straight out of a crane?

Has it been marinised or is it straight out of a crane?

It's just a stationary engine, so no gearbox and only hand start. From the pictures i'd say it at least needs recommissioning, looks to have been stood for some time. Can't interest you in a 2DSM instead..

Casp'

Hi Casp. Did you see that there was a new 2VTH crankshaft on ebay now at £ 300 in Lincoln. Maybe thats enough of a find to make the 2VTH worth doing. Hope I don't ever need to look for one for mine one day ! Cheers. Mick. PS. What's the intention with the 2VTH if you give up on it?

Hi Casp. Did you see that there was a new 2VTH crankshaft on ebay now at £ 300 in Lincoln. Maybe thats enough of a find to make the 2VTH worth doing. Hope I don't ever need to look for one for mine one day ! Cheers. Mick. PS. What's the intention with the 2VTH if you give up on it?

Yeah, I contacted that chap to see what VTH parts he had, so that's probably why he's listed it. It doesn't help too much as even a new crank would need grinding to suit the bearings. You can't get the main bearings the right size. The Ruston is sitting in bits, until I decide what to do, If I were to manage to find another VTH then i'd obviously want to keep a lot of the parts, if I end up with a different engine then I'll probably end up selling the parts to fund it.

Casp'

Just enquired about a 1vsh for sale, seller says it has had new liner, rings and had the injector and pump serviced. I asked him what the crank looked like when he removed the piston, and he said it wasn't perfect.... My engine strip down started like that.. Though it is cheap, so can't decide if it's worth looking at and removing piston to see for myself, though of course i'd have to buy it to do that..

Casp'

No fanx. I've only just got my vintage engine count down to four.

But my head could be possibly turned by a nicely marinised 2VSH, or a 3VSH even!

loved our 3vsh ... not too keen on hand starting the bugger though

• 1 month later...

Hi Casper, I have a 2vth , the piston rings are stuck fast but the pistons are out and the bearings are good. Would be any use to you?

It's off a road roller of some type (Barford ?) and has a single flywheel held by a large nut. Not electric start but maybe your flywheel will fit? I can tale some pics if it's any help.

Edited by nbsanssouci

Hi. A month ago I may have been very interested in your engine as between the 2 of them I could no doubt get a good one. Since then I have bought a 1vsh which I have been working on and altering things on the boat to suit it. It's almost ready to fit. I've sold some of my vth parts to pay for it.. If all yours needs is new pistons and rings then maybe it would be worth doing up yours.

Casp'

Sorry I am a little late, just joined this forum with a new ID as my old one passed away and dont really know how to reserect it.... I commented to you way back when you first fitted the Ruston. I have a 3vsh in Sanssouci and Frankie has a 2vth both have more than 2500 hrs on the clock now. They are good engines but need looking after as you know to keep them running sweet. I have a 1vto, 2 spare vth's and a spare complete 2vsh ready for rebuilding now. Good luck with the 1VSH it should power your nb just fine with a nice thumping sound to boot. If you have the time I would be interested to know how you take a drive to your alternator. Is it off the flywheel or through a smaller pulley?

On the 2vth I had the alternator on a bracket fixed to the boat floor with a long belt driven off the flywheel. This setup worked well as the alternator was spinning at a good speed. The vsh has a bigger flywheel and I'm not sure it can afford to lose that much power so I intend to drive the alternator off the 10" pulley that is on it, with the alternator again remote on the floor. It wont charge as much but I rarely need to run the engine to charge as I use little power. My vsh came off a big cement mixer, think it's the same company as your vth. I'd ideally like to find a fully rebuilt 1vsh to buy..

Casp'

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

We have a little problem with the 2vth when the batteries are low ( in the morning first stat up) there isn't enough torqe developed by the engine to allow it to build up to normal revs and we have to use a switch to just allow 1 battery to connect then bring the other 4 batteries in when it has started.

This may be an issue for you, I suppose it depends on the pulley ratio and the intial power need to build up normal revs. the 10inch pulley to a normal 3 inch pulley on the alternator should do nicely I think.

The 3vsh doesn't have the same issue it justs slips the alternator belt if we try to load to much on too quickly. I use kevlar belts now which are a lot better and last far longer.