Jenlyn

fergyguy

Featured Posts

There wasn't any relevance, just wondered really. The thread is about him though.

I think my missis would prefer a wide beam...ahem...but it is a trade off for not being able to cruise the whole system.

Id recommend not living in a corridor, I suppose it depends where you are based. There really are alot of intetesting wide beam waterways in the north. I'd don't think you would miss the busy narrow canals of the Midlands. As I say the beauty is not living in a corridor.

As for meeting Jenlyn, I should have said . I've only met him virtually.

Regards kris

hi kriss88 do you cruise a wide beam then? what size? we are based in nottinghamshire and looking to buy a min 60-65 footer x 12 and want to cruise the north wide beam areas mooring up for say a week at a time to explore then move on to next town/city etc....we are struggling to gain much positive information on the possibilities of doing this. our intentions are to cruise for approx 5 years spread between north and south we are not looking to buy a wide beam and live in a m,marina we want the comfort of a wide beam moored close to where we are exploring so when we come home at the end of the day we have the comfort and space we want. are we dreaming the impossible? is there enough wide waters for such a craft to allow us to do what we are aiming to do? any help advise etc very very welcome. kind regards martin

Hi David mack thanks for that...I'm guessing the blue areas will be no issues for a 65x12 then is it just a case of checking the red areas don't have lock restrictions etc. kind regards martin

12 ft beam will be fine on all the rivers and broad canals, but 65 ft length will be more limiting. If you can keep it under 60 ft you could do pretty much everything in blue or red.

12 ft beam will be fine on all the rivers and broad canals, but 65 ft length will be more limiting. If you can keep it under 60 ft you could do pretty much everything in blue or red.

Not on all of them. You won't get onto the Middle Level with a beam over 10'.

So let's see if I have this right..if I cruise a 65 x12 wb on Trent up to fossdyke then on river witham to Boston...can I cruise the witham drains? Then back up to Trent then up to Boston and York ...river derwent river ure and river foss. Can this be done? Issues I need to consider? Bearing in mind we want to stop as often as we can to explore towns villages and cities staying say 7 days moored at a time...how long would such a venture take? Roughly.

Is that true?

Although I gather some have done the Calder and Hebble in narrow boats of up to 60 feet, I gather this is not without some difficulty and various shuffles to get past the gates in the shortest locks. (Only one narrow boat can be in the lock, they can't be shared with another).

I seriously doubt a 12 foot wide-beam a full 60 feet long could navigate the C&H, and hence the ring including the Rochdale could not be done either - you could travel up the Rochdale from the other end, but would I think need to turn around and go back the way you came.

From my observations of 57-ish feet narrow boats on the C&H, I doubt a wide beam could be more than 57 or 58 feet without quite a few issues. (Someone will now tell me I'm wrong!).

Red = broad canal

Purple = narrow canal

Blue = river

Its not just locks, its bridgeholes and maybe other features too.

Indeed, Jim Shead's map shows the Erewash as 'wide' and indeed technically it is but the profile of some of the bridges and the proximity to the locks mean a considerable amount of care would be required, some may not be passable at all dependent on the cabin profile of the boat or the presence of any sort of wheelhouse that cannot be lowered.

It's far from a definitive guide to where a wide boat can cruise.

Is that true?

Although I gather some have done the Calder and Hebble in narrow boats of up to 60 feet, I gather this is not without some difficulty and various shuffles to get past the gates in the shortest locks. (Only one narrow boat can be in the lock, they can't be shared with another).

I seriously doubt a 12 foot wide-beam a full 60 feet long could navigate the C&H, and hence the ring including the Rochdale could not be done either - you could travel up the Rochdale from the other end, but would I think need to turn around and go back the way you came.

From my observations of 57-ish feet narrow boats on the C&H, I doubt a wide beam could be more than 57 or 58 feet without quite a few issues. (Someone will now tell me I'm wrong!).

Actually I think you are right. 60 ft is the limit for a narrow boat on the C&H, and that isn't straightforward - there's a page on how to do it on the Pennine Waterways site. For a wide boat you are limited to about 57 ft on the C&H. But a 60 ft boat can do the L&L route.

hi kriss88 do you cruise a wide beam then? what size? we are based in nottinghamshire and looking to buy a min 60-65 footer x 12 and want to cruise the north wide beam areas mooring up for say a week at a time to explore then move on to next town/city etc....we are struggling to gain much positive information on the possibilities of doing this. our intentions are to cruise for approx 5 years spread between north and south we are not looking to buy a wide beam and live in a m,marina we want the comfort of a wide beam moored close to where we are exploring so when we come home at the end of the day we have the comfort and space we want. are we dreaming the impossible? is there enough wide waters for such a craft to allow us to do what we are aiming to do? any help advise etc very very welcome. kind regards martin

Hello Martin,

My boat is 61' by 14' this will do the Leeds and Liverpool, but won't do the Calder and hebble

Where 57' by 13'ish are the maximum. You are in a good location around Nottingham for wide beam cruising as long as you don't go for the biggest cabin possible. Some of the bridge profiles are tight. If I was getting a boat built I'd go for 57' by 13'ish but then have foot wide gunnels. So the roof is only 11' . (But it's all personal.) Don't let the corridor dwellers put you off, they are jealous really. ( they would all love the space, but won't admit it.) best to have a look at steves site for info about wide beam cruising in the south.

http://stevjay.simplesite.com

Regards kris

Edited by kris88