Jenlyn

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Is that true?

Although I gather some have done the Calder and Hebble in narrow boats of up to 60 feet, I gather this is not without some difficulty and various shuffles to get past the gates in the shortest locks. (Only one narrow boat can be in the lock, they can't be shared with another).

I seriously doubt a 12 foot wide-beam a full 60 feet long could navigate the C&H, and hence the ring including the Rochdale could not be done either - you could travel up the Rochdale from the other end, but would I think need to turn around and go back the way you came.

From my observations of 57-ish feet narrow boats on the C&H, I doubt a wide beam could be more than 57 or 58 feet without quite a few issues. (Someone will now tell me I'm wrong!).

I think you are right. Whilst we at 60'; narrow have managed it (sans fenders!) it was close and the technique would not have accommodated much greater width.

I think there's a slight inaccuracy in the Jim Shead map, in that a widebeam can navigate the Trent and Mersey from the Bridgewater to the Anderton Lift, (giving access to the Weaver that way), and beyond, almost as far as Middlewich.

Dutton stop lock?

Dutton stop lock?

I can't find the dimensions of Dutton stop lock but it's odd - not 14' wide but more than 10' I think.

eta: Someone called Mike Todd has a photo online, so if that's you, you already know this because you commented that it has unusual dimensions.

Edited by journeyperson

I can't find the dimensions of Dutton stop lock but it's odd - not 14' wide but more than 10' I think.

Two narrowboats don't fit in, so as you say not 14ft. I'll measure it next month. I would guess about 10ft.

eta: Someone called Mike Todd has a photo online, so if that's you, you already know this because you commented that it has unusual dimensions.

Two narrowboats don't fit in, so as you say not 14ft. I'll measure it next month. I would guess about 10ft.

This old post by the late Tim Leech suggests Dutton Stop lock can now only pass about a 9' 6" beam boat.

Tim's business was based at Dutton, and I found him to be a highly reliable source, so if he says 9' 6", I bet it is not far off correct!

This old post by the late Tim Leech suggests Dutton Stop lock can now only pass about a 9' 6" beam boat.

Tim's business was based at Dutton, and I found him to be a highly reliable source, so if he says 9' 6", I bet it is not far off correct!

Yes. I know Tim had the drydock, and like you i am certain his figure is reliable. Probably the same as the tunnels.

So let's see if I have this right..if I cruise a 65 x12 wb on Trent up to fossdyke then on river witham to Boston...can I cruise the witham drains? Then back up to Trent then up to Boston and York ...river derwent river ure and river foss. Can this be done? Issues I need to consider? Bearing in mind we want to stop as often as we can to explore towns villages and cities staying say 7 days moored at a time...how long would such a venture take? Roughly.

You could keep a widebeam at Colwick or Newark.

You could cruise from Nottm County Hall steps up to Lincoln

Not sure you would get thru the 'Glory Hole' in Lincoln (bridge profile) See picture (we had a Narrowboat at the time)

Down the Witham to Boston.

Remembering that on Rivers there are few 'stopping places' (unlike the canals where you can stop 'anywhere') and those stopping places are all limited to 48 hours.

You could then return and go further downstream on the Trent, past Trent falls and up the Humber etc etc.

We managed to make Newark to Boston & return last 2 weeks. There is very little to see on the Witham as the River is set down behind high flood banks - all you can see is the top 4 feet of the telegraph poles running along the River side.

Edit to add - the bridge profile is NOT the black square - look carefully, it is a small arch. You can just see daylight around the boat. Click on the 'thumbnail' to enlarge.

post-11859-0-28441700-1460188059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

hi alan i know the glory hole well as grew up near saxilby and my dad who was a farmer used to take us to the markets there....im guessing dimensions can be found but then the boats profile would determine if passible but what happens if you get to it and find no way through..reverseing back to a turning point would be a bitch of a thing to do? lol

The (official) dimensions of the GH are 15 feet beam and 9 feet air draft (in the centre) The arch will cut down the available height/width ratio.

Its only a short (200 yd ?) reverse back into Brayford Pool but it snookers your plans of going to Boston etc.

We moor at Newark & can only get to Boston via the Trent, the Humber, the North Sea and the Wash as we are 14 foot beam and 9' 9" feet air draft (with everything collapsed down) and almost 15 feet with 'everything up'.

Us moored alongside a 30 foot 'narrowbeam cruiser' with folding helm / screen.

post-11859-0-01780800-1460195949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Was fortunate enough to take retirement at age 45. Work is a 4-letter word and we don't use those.

Had 20 years of 'sea-going' boats, then moved onto the canals for a change (about 13 years ago), had a number of Narrowboats but canal usage is becoming more difficult and complicated so decided to head back to Sea.

Current boat is a 'sea going' boat with River capability and is based at Newark so we can meet up, occasional cruise and generally and keep in contact with out Narrowboat 'chums'.

Have previous years managed 3-4-5 months cruising (part time CCers) in the Summer and odd extended weeks & weekends in the Winter.

Subject to 'elderly parent' problems this year will be Scandinavia, Holland & Belgium if all goes to plan.

Indeed but it was a rhetorical question as I was too lazy to work out what dimension the post referred to and also just exactly which location they wanted to get to.