Silicone tubes

Featured Posts

I've just spent ages cleaning out the nozzle of a used silicone tube (the ones you use with a gun) with a nail and WD40 red plastic 'stick' so that I could do some more sealing. What a messy job! Last time I used it, I covered the nozzle end with cling film but that clearly didn't work as there was a decent sized lump in it.

What does anyone else do? I don't particularly want to tackle the mess each time but then neither do I want to throw away a non-empty tube.

I'm truly amazed that a man of your technical expertise would mix up silicon and sillycone. ohmy.pngunsure.png

Yes I know, I'm far too technical most of the time, I abbreviate certain words and stuff to speed things up, to get get it done with so I can get back to my Meccano set. closedeyes.gif

I buy spare nozzles from my local pound shop. They have an Everbuild label and come in packs of 5 for £1.

put a screw in the end of the tip - then pull it out when you next use it

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I've had tubes of silicone or other mastic when the entire nozzle full has gone off. With silicone sometimes you can just pull the whole "plug" out and you have a clean nozzle.

The ones I have bought for the last few years come with a small 'screw on' cap that fits to the end of the nozzle and stops the contents going 'off'.

With silicone perhaps, but with any polyurethane sealants those caps don't seem to stop it going off. The best way is just to cut the nozzle through lower down or just use a new nozzle.

Edited by Claude