Listening to music

Featured Posts

I currently listen to music via iTunes on my laptop which I power with a 12v adaptor. I was wondering if an iPod would be:-

1. Less power hungry

2. Can be connected to an external speaker (I have an X-mini)

3. Can be charged with a 12v adaptor

Anyone help with this?

I currently listen to music via iTunes on my laptop which I power with a 12v adaptor. I was wondering if an iPod would be:-

1. Less power hungry

Anyone help with this?

1. Yes will be lower power requirement.

2. yes, just plug your speakers into the headphone socket.

3. Yes, although i have problems charging iDevices in the 12v sockets on my boat, not sure why though...

1. Less power hungry

Anyone help with this?

I'm not an ipod user, but I think the answers to you questions are "yes" "yes" and "yes".

I use a iPod on the boat.

It plugs into to the auxiliary socket on the car radio.

Alternatively I use a device which plugs into a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" socket at the back of the boat, which turns the iPod into a radio transmitter so the radio can pick it up. Sound quality is worse but I can reach the iPod to change tunes from the helm.

Edited to change Pads back to Pods. Buddy autokorrect.

Edited by cuthound

Not that it matters to everyone but i find a drawback of the ipod is the little screen and tend to use it only on a bus,train or plane.I suppose a smart phone would give you a bigger screen.I like to listen to music where by i choose the next song as one is playing and i find the small screens not suited to this and i am not interested in a shuffle function. Now dare i say it argue.giffrusty.giftongue.png in my experience the ''i'' pods,pads,phones etc are grossly over priced and over rated.icecream.gif

Not that it matters to everyone but i find a drawback of the ipod is the little screen and tend to use it only on a bus,train or plane.I suppose a smart phone would give you a bigger screen.I like to listen to music where by i choose the next song as one is playing and i find the small screens not suited to this and i am not interested in a shuffle function. Now dare i say it argue.giffrusty.giftongue.png in my experience the ''i'' pods,pads,phones etc are grossly over priced and over rated.icecream.gif

depends on what model of iPod you are talking about, iPod touch is much the same as an iPhone.

You can also get docking speaker units such as Philips into which your iPod connects via its charge socket. They can run off 12v, have a built in rechargable battery and also charge your iPod at the same time.

Ken

post-15371-0-80064500-1459784983_thumb.jpeg

Edited by NB Ellisiana

All my music is on my iPhone which I listen via two methods.

1. Bose sound dock with built in rechargeable battery. I charge this whilst cruising or when charging battery bank with generator.

2. Ruark R1 radio with rechargeable battery. See above re charging. I can play my iPhone through this via Bluetooth or Jack lead.

I went to our local electrical store recently to buy an ipod and a dock for when we finally get onboard Lazy Bee (69 days) and he asked me if I have an iphone which I do. He suggested I could use that instead of an ipod and also suggested a brilliant gadget called a Solid Surface Boom Box which is a bluetooth speaker with a suction cap at its base which attaches to solid surface (we hope the roof of the boat will work) which acts as a subwoofer. The other great thing about it is its only about 4inches high and about 2inches across, wont take much room in the case.

I went to our local electrical store recently to buy an ipod and a dock for when we finally get onboard Lazy Bee (69 days) and he asked me if I have an iphone which I do. He suggested I could use that instead of an ipod and also suggested a brilliant gadget called a Solid Surface Boom Box which is a bluetooth speaker with a suction cap at its base which attaches to solid surface (we hope the roof of the boat will work) which acts as a subwoofer. The other great thing about it is its only about 4inches high and about 2inches across, wont take much room in the case.

Fair play, not often that somebody down sells a customer.

The problem with using your iPhone as the music source is that others may want to listen to music whilst you are on the phone.

Because my iphone is my work number I can assure you that I will not be making calls and any dill that calls me from home will soon be told how much it is costing them so they wont be on for long.