River Severn

Featured Posts

The Severn is currently closed, and has been since 28th March, between Lincombe lock and Gloucester. Does anyone know if it is close to getting on green boards?

I am currently in Droitwich Marina and am due to leave today. However, if the river is nowhere near close to green then I am minded to ask if I can stay a bit longer.

Thanks

The amber board is in view but still in the red. Also, it is still raining so may not go down for some time. Sorry, should have said I am in Stourport !

Also……….is the Salwarp in flood ?

The Severn is currently closed, and has been since 28th March, between Lincombe lock and Gloucester. Does anyone know if it is close to getting on green boards?

I am currently in Droitwich Marina and am due to leave today. However, if the river is nowhere near close to green then I am minded to ask if I can stay a bit longer.

Thanks

Walk up to Hanbury top lock - don't the boards there show the status of the river? I can tell you they were showing amber at midday today when I passed through but I couldn't say for exactly which bits cos I didn't need to know.

Salwarpe was red on Monday and had flooded onto towpath underneath Bridge 8 just before the weir and flood lock. It was amber by Tuesday and now green. There has been a boat moored on the lock landing before the M5 tunnel all week. I suspect they got stuck unable to clear the tunnel and had to leave the boat there. Although it would have been feasible to go back up the lock and wind above it.

I passed Roach halfway up Tardebigge on Tuesday and John Jackson said he was heading to Sharpness and remarked that the state of the river had never bothered him but now CRT prohibit movement.

JP

I phoned Gloucester lock this morning, they said the river was fully open as of yesterday afternoon but the CRT webpage was unlikely to be updated until Monday.

Are you on your way down to Gloucester Nick...?

Yes that is the plan, via Droitwich canal. Currently nearing tardebigge bottom lock.

I shall wander down to Netherwich Basin tomorrow evening to see if Telemachus is there. It's about five hours from where you are. Don't be put off by first boat you see there; it spent the winter in the Severn.

JP

I shall wander down to Netherwich Basin tomorrow evening to see if Telemachus is there. It's about five hours from where you are. Don't be put off by first boat you see there; it spent the winter in the Severn.

JP

Ok may see you then, do say hello. However I think 5 hrs is quite a short day for us (depends on the weather though). What are the mooring options between there and the Severn? Never done the Droitwich and my Nicholsons still shows it under restoration!

Ok may see you then, do say hello. However I think 5 hrs is quite a short day for us (depends on the weather though). What are the mooring options between there and the Severn? Never done the Droitwich and my Nicholsons still shows it under restoration!

Unless it has changed in the last couple of years, the options are virtually none. I would have thought best to stop in the basin in Droitwich, we managed to fine some decent pubs when we stopped there, I quite enjoyed Droitwich.

Nothing at all until Hawford top lock where there is room for about three or four boats. There is nothing there and I suspect the moorings are mostly there to provide somewhere to wait when the river is high. There were two boats there last week doing just that. A full day could take you to the Camp House Inn below Bevere lock on the Severn. That's an interesting place and at the other end of the scale from the Queens Head. Worcester is also possible in a long day.

Jon

Nothing at all until Hawford top lock where there is room for about three or four boats. There is nothing there and I suspect the moorings are mostly there to provide somewhere to wait when the river is high. There were two boats there last week doing just that. A full day could take you to the Camp House Inn below Bevere lock on the Severn. That's an interesting place and at the other end of the scale from the Queens Head. Worcester is also possible in a long day.

Jon

Last time I did that trip we spent a day from the Queens Head to Bevere Lock, stopping for a pint at the Railway in Droitwich (and moored in Netherwich Basin). We arrived at Bevere after hours and tied up on the end of the lock mooring furthest from the lock. A bit of a climb up a ladder to get off the boat, then a short walk past the lock to the Camp House.

Camp house is a great place...if you don't mind the happy campers from the Black country making it West Bromwich on the water! (We moored there a few years ago & had a great meal actually).

I had the most bizarre meal I think I have ever had there about 18 months ago. There had been a kitchen fire and they had no fryers available so from a very limited menu eight of us ate mostly chili con carne which was cooked one after the other so it was well over an hour between the first and last main courses arriving. It was the first night of a weekend hire from Worcester with friends of mine - and my family joined us for evening meals - so we made sure the kids got theirs first and the rest of us were happy enough drinking while we waited.

I would always choose a place where there is home cooked food rather than a portion controlled environment no matter what the quality of the latter. I never suggested that Nick wouldn't get a good meal at the Queens Head; just for my tastes there is something naff and contrived about the place. I am sure some some would say the Camp House is strange; to me it's a very genuine place. Someone also mentioned the Green Man at Swindon on the Staffs & Worcs in a thread a few days ago. That's another little local gem.

Jon

Edit to note that I have crossed two threads there.

Edited by Captain Pegg