The Boat House Braunston

sharpness

Featured Posts

We had to moor right outside the year before last, as no spaces on the towpath side.

Thought I better have a drink as I was using their mooring.

Went in and spoke to young man behind bar.....

me "can I bring my dog in?"

man behind bar. "no, no dogs, we serve food"

me "thats very unusual, most canal side pubs let dogs in"

man behind bar "how does that work?"

me "dog lies on floor, I drink beer"

man behind bar "thats interesting"

The Nelson has posh food, a nice sofa, very good beer, and dogs.

..............Dave

For anyone planning on visiting The Boat House Braunston, some do you know, they are closing on Sunday 3rd April for 2 weeks for refurbishment, reopening on 17th April as "a carvery pub", whatever that is.

Steve

Is that the pub by the main road bridge? many years ago IIRC It was named the" Rose & Castle" & was a carvery back then + you could take your dog in

Yes it is the one by the main road bridge, and you still can not take dogs inside. We do go there quite often for two reason, you can moor the boat outside, and I an quite partial the Pedegree, and their Pedegree is very good. The food is ok generally, but not sure for us the carvery thing is a positive, but it seems to be a general trend with chain pubs.

For anyone planning on visiting The Boat House Braunston, some do you know, they are closing on Sunday 3rd April for 2 weeks for refurbishment, reopening on 17th April as "a carvery pub", whatever that is.

Steve

Carvery is choice of three meats served to you and help yourself to everything else. Usually only one visit for meat but multiple visits allowed for everything else. Google Marston carvery.

I would have thought the conversion would have been done earlier in the year during quieter period.

Yes it is the one by the main road bridge, and you still can not take dogs inside. We do go there quite often for two reason, you can moor the boat outside, and I an quite partial the Pedegree, and their Pedegree is very good. The food is ok generally, but not sure for us the carvery thing is a positive, but it seems to be a general trend with chain pubs.

I used to go in there quite often with Coasty and we found the food quality 'unreliable' at best! Cheap, definitely and reasonable value for money, but in general a good example of getting what you paid for.

I can see how converting to a carvery is a good management strategy. It reduces consumer choice substantially, a by-product of which will be they get far better at what they ARE offering.

I think it will be highly successful as boaters are broadly, on balance and with many exceptions, cheapskates and equate cheap food with good!

ninja.gif

Dogs should be left outside of eating establishments. Dog owners need to realise that not everyone likes having a smelly dirty annoying animal around 24/7

On that basis, my wife might take our GSD in, and leave me tied up to the fence outside!!
  • Greenie 3

I used to go in there quite often with Coasty and we found the food quality 'unreliable' at best! Cheap, definitely and reasonable value for money, but in general a good example of getting what you paid for.

I can see how converting to a carvery is a good management strategy. It reduces consumer choice substantially, a by-product of which will be they get far better at what they ARE offering.

I think it will be highly successful as boaters are broadly, on balance and with many exceptions, cheapskates and equate cheap food with good!

:ninja:

We ate their last Sunday lunch time food was fine considering what you are paying, as you say you get what you pay for, but some times these places are poor despite that.

But If it is like the other carverys around then there will still be a full menu if you don't want the carvery but it will I assume not be 2 for 1 any more, so better for people on their own.

A huge, really huge, new carvery pub has been built near to where we live, and in the week you can have a massive amount of food for £6 I think, I think that is Marstons as well, so presumably that will be the model.

Can the same apply to children?

Parents need to realise that not everyone likes having smelly dirty annoying brats around 24/7.

I'd be fine with that, but at least children resemble humans.

Dog owners need to realise that their dogs are not people. If I took a pig or a gibbon into a pub people would complain but for some reason dogs are fine?

We ate their last Sunday lunch time food was fine considering what you are paying, as you say you get what you pay for, but some times these places are poor despite that.

Last time I went there i think they microwaved my steak. It was awful.
  • Greenie 1

Can the same apply to children?

Parents need to realise that not everyone likes having smelly dirty annoying brats around 24/7.

I couldn't agree more!…..child free pubs would be bliss….or just have a pen outside to leave them in.

Dogs however can be allowed…..they can eat the children that get through the ban!

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 1

I'd be fine with that, but at least children resemble humans.

Dog owners need to realise that their dogs are not people. If I took a pig or a gibbon into a pub people would complain but for some reason dogs are fine?

Last time I went there i think they microwaved my steak. It was awful.

I suspect you wouldn't like Cornwall much.

We have yet to find a pub that doesn't allow dogs, and most actively welcome them with signs outside to save you having to ask if it's ok to bring one in.

[quote name="Mike the Boilerman" post="1795959"

ninja.gif

Hopefully the carvery idea will fail and Wetherspoons will take over. My local 'spoons here in Leeds has just binned the carvery idea, so the Boat House may be behind the curve. Freely admit to being a cheapskate (or as we say in Yorkshire, sensible). But cheap is not necessarily c**p. Had an excellent 8oz "35 day aged" sirloin there yesterday on offer at £4.99, and good beer at around £2.50, although I've known the beer cheaper now I come to think about it, and they don't allow dogs. Nothing's ever perfect is it?

A pig or a gibbon aren't domesticated. A dog, in most cases is. Most will sit under the table and mind it's own business.

Some humans are more annoying than dogs. Humans won't do as they are told without getting stroppy. You can stroke a dog!

If the food is a bit under standard the dog is a good place to put it, to save having to complain.

I won't go on, but I could. Never understood the No Dogs as we serve food rule. No Dogs, as some of our customers don't like them seems a better explanation.

Edited by Nightwatch

Hopefully the carvery idea will fail and Wetherspoons will take over. My local 'spoons here in Leeds has just binned the carvery idea, so the Boat House may be behind the curve. Freely admit to being a cheapskate (or as we say in Yorkshire, sensible). But cheap is not necessarily c**p. Had an excellent 8oz "35 day aged" sirloin there yesterday on offer at £4.99, and good beer at around £2.50, although I've known the beer cheaper now I come to think about it, and they don't allow dogs. Nothing's ever perfect is it?

Wetherspoons don't do carveries as such but what they have just done is to remove roast meals from their menu which is a shame as last time I bought them we got two good roast meals and two pints for under fifteen quid.

Have been working on Fulbourne all this week and have eaten at the Aylesbury town centre spoons every night and all the meals have been good (And cheap!)

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

A pig or a gibbon aren't domesticated. A dog, in most cases is. Most will sit under the table and mind it's own business.

Some humans are more annoying than dogs. Humans won't do as they are told without getting stroppy. You can stroke a dog!

If the food is a bit under standard the dog is a good place to put it, to save having to complain.

I won't go on, but I could. Never understood the No Dogs as we serve food rule. No Dogs, as some of our customers don't like them seems a better explanation.

Pigs and gibbons can be just as well behaved as your average dog.

Wetherspoons are the worst of all pubs. They don't need to let dogs in as most of their clientele already look and smell like animals. If I want a microwave meal I can get one from Iceland.

Edited by Delta9

Pigs and gibbons can be just as well behaved as your average dog.

Wetherspoons are the worst of all pubs. They don't need to let dogs in as most of there clientèle already look and smell like animals. If I want a microwave meal I can get one from Iceland.

I may well be smelly and look like an old horse, but I am not effete enough to stick a grave accent in 'clientele', and I understand the difference between 'there' and 'their'.

• Greenie 3

I couldn't agree more!..child free pubs would be bliss.or just have a pen outside to leave them in.

Dogs however can be allowed..they can eat the children that get through the ban!

Cheers

Gareth

My dog loves children, but he couldn't manage a whole one :) Edited by cuthound

That's odd.

Skool was where I found out most children are HORRID!

Indeed......I hated other kids when I was at school.....it's a feeling that has never gone away! My school reports say I was an odd child....apparently that wasn't supposed to be something to be proud of!

Cheers

Gareth