Small narrowboat handling

DailyCrumpet

Featured Posts

Hello

I have only ever manoeuvred boats over 50ft as a hirer and we are looking at finally getting a boat of our own. However we would probably go for something at the very small end of the spectrum to simplify our first experience of boat ownership (costs etc). I have read that boats that are 28-35 ft can be harder to control and don't move as well - this got me thinking about bobbing around in locks much bigger than my boat....

Any comments on notable differences when handling a small boat?

Thanks!

I have only ever hired, but short day boats I have always found OK. They don't keep a steady straight course quite like a 60ft boat but respond faster to the tiller so are no real problem. I can't say I have noticed a problem in locks, i would have thought a small boat would be easier as you are safely away from the gates / cill.

mine is 35'. On the Llangollen it is very manoeuvrable, which is an enormous advantage, but has much more of a mind of its own, compared to my inlaws old full length boat. In the locks, it's fine - I've single handed through broad locks with no problems, but it does tend to bob around rather more, I guess just because it's half the length. It reverses like a pig, but that's probably as much down to design (or absence thereof!) as length. They can get very, erm, cosy and I wouldn't recommend for very long trips/ liveaboard, but apart from that, there are only really advantages - Mooring is much easier, you fit into those awkward spaces, although ring spacing isn't always in your favour, license is cheaper and it's easier to dodge round obstructions - ours is also quite shallow drafted

We've had Grebe for 17 years now. She's a 26ft Sea Otter. Directionally she's fine except in strong cross-winds when the sail effect of a cabin nearly 6ft out of the water overcomes the 1.5ft of hull in the water. Where possible we avoid winds in excess of force 4.

Reversing is a pig but I reckon that is down to the flat transom. Locks have never been any more of a problem than with larger boats, although incredibly she has never been through a narrow lock in her life.

She bobs about a bit when stepping on and off. Stepping on well into the middle reduces any bobbing.

Go for a short one and you can turn in the canal. The Chesterfield Canal Trust has 25ft and 30ft trip boats, the short one will turn almost anywhere, the 30 footer needs a winding hole or similar.

You have to be organised and neat in a small boat. 'A place for everything and everything in its place'. All areas have to function all the time you cannot have the luxury of a made-up double wasting space all day.

I often steer a 22' Bantam tug. The only difference really in a lock is I have a line onto the lock side, which I might not bother with on my 72' boat.

OK, it's wheel steered rather than a tiller, but going along is no problem.

Edit- best bit- turning around anywhere, or doing doughnuts in the cut.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

I had a 30 footer and never had a problem with it. Daftest thing I did was sell it and buy a plastic cruiser. Now they are hard to control even in a slight breeze. It was a pig to reverse but they all are in spite of what anyone on here will tell you. Whatever boat you are reversing you just need to take it slow and correct the swing every so often with a quick burst of forward. I will concede that a boat with an outboard motor does reverse much easier but that is the only advantage my cruiser has. As has been said the big advantages are the ability to get into small spaces and being able to turn round virtually on it's own axis. Downside a distinct lack of room so not good to live on I wouldn't think but then I didn't live on mine. Also even on the coldest days my stove got the boat so hot that I had to open all the windows and doors although I didn't really consider that to be a disadvantage as such.

I've had a 72ft and now have a 35ft.

The big one stayed where it was mid stream when waiting for locks.

The small one needs to go to the side when stationary.

Take your hand of the tiller on the move and the big one tended to stay in a straight line, while the smaller one goes berry picking.

The smaller one stops easier and without blocking off the cut, is much more maneuverable, can jump queues to share locks and squeeze into gaps on popular moorings.

It has a permanent double because that's how it's designed, but the biggest advantage over a full length (apart from cost) is a day out doesn't have to be planned around winding holes ..... turn where you like! Mind you that would be even easier if it didn't draw 2ft at the front and 3ft at the back.

The one thing I've found with shorter boats is they tend to rock more when stepping on\off.

Try stepping off a 21 foot plastic cruiser if you think short steel boats rock a lot. Especially stepping off a plastic cruiser on to a floating jetty.

To reduce rolling/rocking we were told to treat the boat like a dinghy.

Stepping on - aim to step well into the middle of the cockpit

Stepping off - stand on the gunnel, let the boat dip and then rise and step off at the top of the rise phase.

. As has been said the big advantages are the ability to get into small spaces and being able to turn round virtually on it's own axis.

I can turn a 72 footer on its own axis!

. As has been said the big advantages are the ability to get into small spaces and being able to turn round virtually on it's own axis.

I can turn a 72 footer on its own axis!

But not in a 35 ft space.

:)

I think and I may be wrong, 72 ft might be required.

:)

But not in a 35 ft space.

smile.png

I think and I may be wrong, 72 ft might be required.

smile.png

To be pedantic Pete never said anything about length, just that it would turn on its own axis!

I have a 26 ft boat and like all things it's swings and roundabouts.

No need for winding hole to turn round (real benefit that one)

Can squeeze into a mooring where larger boats will not fit

Seriously affected by any sort of wind

Quickest way to the bank, though not necessarily the bank you want to moor alongside....let go of the tiller even for a couple of seconds

Locks are not a problem particularly if you allow no one to 'help'

Generally lower running costs

Edited by Idunhoe

• 3 months later...

I had a 30 footer and never had a problem with it. Daftest thing I did was sell it and buy a plastic cruiser. Now they are hard to control even in a slight breeze. It was a pig to reverse but they all are in spite of what anyone on here will tell you. Whatever boat you are reversing you just need to take it slow and correct the swing every so often with a quick burst of forward. I will concede that a boat with an outboard motor does reverse much easier but that is the only advantage my cruiser has. As has been said the big advantages are the ability to get into small spaces and being able to turn round virtually on it's own axis. Downside a distinct lack of room so not good to live on I wouldn't think but then I didn't live on mine. Also even on the coldest days my stove got the boat so hot that I had to open all the windows and doors although I didn't really consider that to be a disadvantage as such.

No, they are not all a pig to reverse, whatever you might say or think. Some are; quite possibly all modern ones which are slab sided below the waterline, but Chertsey, for one (and it only takes one to disprove the claim) is a dream to reverse, stays straight and steers well. I reversed right through the marina at Alvecote to moor alongside the slipway and only put it into forward once - and that was playing safe because I wanted to be near the slipway but not on it. I started with a 32' boat, moved on to a 54' one, then got a 71'6 monster - and each was easier to steer than the last. When offered the chance to steer a little boat the other year I declined, almost certain I'd make an idiot of myself. But I did love my 32-footer; the reason we changed it was primarily the lack of internal space.

I once entered The Coventry Canal from The North Oxford at Hawkesbury heading North.

70ft foot boat towing a loaded butty on cross straps, and did it in one without using the little bollard under the bridge to strap it round.

After poking the motor's nose under the bridge and winding the engine down the butty pushes the motor's back end right round like a jack-knife. Then winding it on drags the butty round and away you go.

140 feet in one go, easier than taking a 50 footer round.

I once entered The Coventry Canal from The North Oxford at Hawkesbury heading North.

70ft foot boat towing a loaded butty on cross straps, and did it in one without using the little bollard under the bridge to strap it round.

After poking the motor's nose under the bridge and winding the engine down the butty pushes the motor's back end right round like a jack-knife. Then winding it on drags the butty round and away you go.

Yes I can imagine this working very well.

I vaguely remember once getting a small round of applause from the audience outside the pub for getting Reginald round in one, and he's only 45ft! Or they might have been clapping something else...

My boat is only 30ft and is ideal, OK she can do a fantastic boat boogie every time someone new takes the tiller, she dances about in locks unless I loop a rope over a bollard or even the ladder and keep good hold of her. She has a slight v hull so she is good in deep water.( She does'nt mess about, just gets on with where I want her to go) I don't even need the engine to turn her about I can just use the ropes. She rocks a bit when getting on and off...........nar she does'nt, she rocks a lot, but I would'nt change her for anything. All the much longer boats I have crewed don't mess about like mine they are easy on the tiller, Mine ...............take your eye of her for a moment and she's off doing her own thing. Yes I can thoroughly recommend a small boat so much more fun and not so much BLACKING! There is a dance called The Black Bottom and my little boat can dance it like the expert she is.

Back in the working days if you failed to get around in one go & had an " Audience" of tied up boaters, a certain amount of verbal abuse was forth coming it was more difficult if a breasted pair were tied just on the bridge side of the lock ( Grey hound side ) Fueling or picking up trip orders & you were going south.