Morso is lesso ... help please!

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

I recently arrived at my boat after a few weeks away and found an enormous crack across the stove top. Nothing could have dropped on it, and I assumed the cast iron was almost unbreakable.

I dare not use it now and I have no alternative heating.

Any thoughts - how did it happen - what to do - is this terminal - should I be looking for a new stove - can it be repaired - if so by whom?

gallery_9769_1_227240.png

Thanks! Davo.

Edited by Davo_Willow
  • Greenie 2

Any thoughts - how did it happen - what to do - is this terminal - should I be looking for a new stove - can it be repaired - if so by whom?

Pic attached.

No it isn't!

Morso Squirrels are noted for their ability to do this. My advice is buy a new stove as replacing the top panel can turn into one helluva project as the bolts holding the stove together will snap off instead of undoing when you try to remove them.

• Greenie 1

When I got my last Morso I noticed that in the instructions they now stipulate it is just a wood burner. There was a bit about using Anthracite if you really want to burn a coal in it. Maybe they realise they have a problem. Also I wonder if expansion of a poorly fitted flue pipe could cause it?

Pushy little sod, ain't you? Go on then, just this once.

Yes Sir. Thank you Sir.

(Phew, he didn't pick me up on my inappropriate use of the word 'can'...!)

Greenie also awarded to the OP for the same reason as you gave Sir.

(Sycophantic as well as pushy.)

By the look of the crack,it seems to be very rusty inside and there is a faint line in the finish leading away from it, it could be a flaw in the original casting.

If it's a flaw, they all have it!

Mine cracked in an identical manner, and over about 6 months ran all along to the opposite end and the lip fell off.

The gap suckes air in though. My CO detector was never triggered by it and I continued to use it until I ordered the Boatman stove. I wouldn't recomment a Boatman after having a Squirrel. Plenty on here like them but as a Squirrel owner you'll notice all the shortcomings!

A new Squirrel can be had for about £650, not £thousands...

Yes Sir. Thank you Sir.

(Phew, he didn't pick me up on my inappropriate use of the word 'can'...!)

It was the word which most schoolboys would have used, and thus was totally appropriate to the context, if I may say so.

What happens is this. There's a U-shaped slot on the bottom of the top-plate, which is filled by a corresponding tang on the top of the side casting. Rusting happens inside the slot on the side which is exposed to the fire. Rust occupies a much greater volume than the iron is comes from, so the rust packs the space between the tang and the side of the slot tightly, exerting a huge force pushing the sides of the slot apart, Eventually the force exceeds the strength of the iron and it cracks apart, allowing the slot to expand and relieve the pressure.

Not a problem exclusive to Squirrels.

I guess it could be avoided by dismantling the stove every few years, cleaning the rust out of all the joints, and rebuilding.

MP.

What happens is this. There's a U-shaped slot on the bottom of the top-plate, which is filled by a corresponding tang on the top of the side casting. Rusting happens inside the slot on the side which is exposed to the fire. Rust occupies a much greater volume than the iron is comes from, so the rust packs the space between the tang and the side of the slot tightly, exerting a huge force pushing the sides of the slot apart, Eventually the force exceeds the strength of the iron and it cracks apart, allowing the slot to expand and relieve the pressure.

Not a problem exclusive to Squirrels.

I guess it could be avoided by dismantling the stove every few years, cleaning the rust out of all the joints, and rebuilding.

MP.

In addition, if you have installed your chimney so it is sitting on top of the stove, cemented in and firmly stuck into the roof collar, it expands and pushes down the top of the stove. Cast iron doesn't like this

This is helpful:

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

Richard

In addition, if you have installed your chimney so it is sitting on top of the stove, cemented in and firmly stuck into the roof collar, it expands and pushes down the top of the stove. Cast iron doesn't like this

Or, when it cools down, it can lift your stove off the floor!

This is helpful:

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

Richard

That's very useful, some clear instructions about the safe installation of a stove on a boat.

Peter.

That crack doesn't look critical to me. You should see the number of air gaps around all parts of the 'Premier' boatman's cabin stove! They all suck air in once going, and as Mike pointed out, a CO alarm won't go off on account of that crack. You can always squash some 1200degC fire silicone in the crack if you're worried about it.

I wouldn't be.

We have four stoves, two at home and one either end of the boat. A Carabo, an Effel,a Firefox and a Stovax Stockton 5.Perhaps the OP might look at the Stovax as a possible replacement. It's a multifuel at around £700 with a steel body and cast door. Very controllable and will take 13" logs. Heats up quickly but being steel cools quickly too. The dust pan is well designed with the back cut away so nails from pallets don't jam. The top airway adjuster isn't quite as good as the Morso wheel type but we soon got the measure of it.