Overnight stop in Wolverhampton

Bugsworth Tippler

Featured Posts

We stopped overnight at the top of the flight in 2014, mooring on the right hand side without any real problems. There were a number of drinkers on the left but on the right we weren't troubled. If you feel concerned then you can continue under Broad Street Bridge and moor on the right before you reach Wolverhampton 'tunnel', there is no access from the shore to those mooring without climbing over a fence. Alternatively if there is space you might be able to sneak into the water point mooring which is fully secure.

I've stopped twice now inside the Broard Street BW Yard. You don't even need to moor on the water point as there is usually a work boat opposite it that you can moor on the outside of. It is secure (well with a BW key) in there and I would feel a lot less vulnerable than I would moored at the bottom of that wall.

There is no shortage of moorings at the top of the flight, both before and after the bridge. There may be space in the yard but I moored immediately outside and was not worried.

You might feel that it is best to stay with the boat but to be honest, if you don't know the area (I didn't) you will not be missing much by staying on board. One of us went for a takeaway and we ate on board. The pub/club on the bridge can be noisy but it's only for one night.

Frank.

We moored on the offside (below the big wall) and had a very peaceful night. There is no access at all to the mooring so it is no good tying there if you need to go anywhere but it is a perfectly safe place to be.

In July the daylight is around much later and so, if you feel like it why not carry on for a while longer and tie at The Black Country Museum?

Never had any trouble right at the top of the flight. Had to moor there for nearly two weeks once while waiting for an emergency lock repair. Lots of friendly alcoholics/bench dwellers to chat to if you like. There are some good pubs close by. The Great Western being one.

It all sounds really lovely. What nationality is Wolverhampton generally? Just wondering 'cos it's nice to meet new people.

It's still part of the United Kingdom.

We moored, some years ago now, between the two junctions (Autherley and Aldersley?) There's a boatyard there who rented a space to us quite cheaply. I noticed that there were patrols of police on fast bikes along the towpath opposite, but we never saw any untoward behaviour - perhaps because of the police patrols. It fell short of "lovely" but it was quite attractive.

It's still part of the United Kingdom.

We moored, some years ago now, between the two junctions (Autherley and Aldersley?) There's a boatyard there who rented a space to us quite cheaply. I noticed that there were patrols of police on fast bikes along the towpath opposite, but we never saw any untoward behaviour - perhaps because of the police patrols. It fell short of "lovely" but it was quite attractive.

That of course is at the bottom of the Wolverhampton flight, not the top, but since you mention the boatyard, Oxley Marine, can I say that I have found it one of the best and most helpful. Its owner, who has the magnificent name of Orpheus Mable, is one of the saner contributors to NBW.

That of course is at the bottom of the Wolverhampton flight, not the top, but since you mention the boatyard, Oxley Marine, can I say that I have found it one of the best and most helpful. Its owner, who has the magnificent name of Orpheus Mable, is one of the saner contributors to NBW.

Mea culpa, I had missed the reference to stopping at the top of the flight (which we didn't tackle, we came a different way as I recall). Yes, Oxley Marine, that's the one, and I do feel that anyone named Orpheus Mable deserves our support.

I've stopped twice now inside the Broard Street BW Yard. You don't even need to moor on the water point as there is usually a work boat opposite it that you can moor on the outside of. It is secure (well with a BW key) in there and I would feel a lot less vulnerable than I would moored at the bottom of that wall.

When we were there you could walk straight out onto the main street, also a sign saying No Mooring

There are some good pubs close by. The Great Western being one.

O yes

Top of the Wolverhampton 21.

I've moored on the VM's at the top of the 21 on a couple of occasions.

Been perfectly safe, no hassle.

I'll reserve my opinion of the city of Wolverhampton for fear of offending the natives.

However, the moorings must be close to the hospital or the police station (or possibly both) as we were frequently woken by the sirens of emergency vehicles. If I remember correctly, there is a roundabout close to the VM's and they seem to switch their sirens on as they approach the roundabout.

Doesn't bother me particularly, but if you are a light sleeper it might do.

I normally stop at Compton, due to the nice chip shop, and then do the Wolverhampton flight the next day usually with an early start and continue in to Birmingham. I have though, used the secure mooring by the big wall that others have mentioned. We also occasionally leave the Heritage Working Boats over night in Broad Street, especially now there is more room in there as Barnett isn't moored in there anymore.

Thanks for all those helpful comments.

It's reassuring to know that the top of the Wolverhampton flight sounds a reasonable destination if we manage to get up the Wolverhampton flight. I think I'll be in need of a rest after that.

The 21 are a good flight to use, we found them easier than most (with a crew of only two).

But I agree that pushing on to Birmingham would be a bit much unless you have a larger crew. With an early start the black country museum would be easier.

Frank.

The 21 are a good flight to use, we found them easier than most (with a crew of only two).

But I agree that pushing on to Birmingham would be a bit much unless you have a larger crew. With an early start the black country museum would be easier.

Frank.

There is a stoppage at the railway bridge with limited opening hours

Notice Alert
*Old Main Line*
*Starts At:* Railway Bridge, Rough Hills Stop
*Ends At:* Railway Bridge, Rough Hills Stop
*Monday 29 February 2016 08:00 until Monday 4 April 2016 17:00*
*Type: Navigation Closure Reason: 3rd Party Works*
------------------------------
Original message:
AMCO on behalf of Network Rail will be replacing the railway bridge deck
and repairing the bridge abutment. To facilitate the works, canal and
towpath closures are required during the 8 week project.
The towpath will be restricted for 2 weeks from 29/02/16 where a floating
pontoon walkway will be installed to facilitate the towpath side works. The
towpath will then be closed for 3 weeks from 14/03/16 with diversions in
place.
The canal will be closed for 2 weeks from 21/03/16 to open traffic. However
during this period there will be two open windows every day between 9am to
10am and 3pm to 4pm for boaters to pass.
Although Banksman will be utilised to manage members of the public and
canal traffic, care should be taken whilst passing through this section.
You can view this notice and its map online here: