Hoses- which one

Anna_Licorice

Featured Posts

I've been tempted to try one of these but put off by the spray head they all come with. I get the feeling they only expand if the spray head is fitted. Is that not the case?

Have you used yours on one of the special CRT extra-low pressure taps yet? Did it still expand?

The spray head is just a normal clip-in fitting supplied. Any other fitting could be used instead or nothing at all, as its end connector is the non-return type. I have not yet found a low pressure tap that prevents it working.

The spray head is just a normal clip-in fitting supplied. Any other fitting could be used instead or nothing at all, as its end connector is the non-return type. I have not yet found a low pressure tap that prevents it working.

Brill! Fanx.

I'll try one....

I used a conventional garden hose on a wind-up reel. It was always cold when I refilled tank, even on marina, so difficult to stretch out and to rewind and would throw itself into the water given the chance. Last summer I got one of the 'magic' hoses for home (eg #24 above) and found that very effective (bearing in mind reservations expressed). I've got one for the boat now. It lives in a small box (sandwich box / bird feeding fat balls) along with required fittings and takes up stacks less space than a conventional hose. It is not temperature sensitive. It's easy to take home over winter (non-resident) and has just had a dose of Milton prior to dewinterising. The only reservation I have is to stand back when you switch the water on otherwise it will shove you into the cut given half a chance - it really is magic, the extent to which it extends/contacts. May be a bit slower to fill your tank but who does have a quick filling hose!!? Mine uses screw-on fittings so you will need adapters for a screw tap and/or your tank end.

I bought one of these new expanding non-kink hoses a few months back, and so far its been marvellous.

It does do what they say - it stretches to 3 times its original length, exceptionally lightweight, and takes very little space. (I just dump it in a small bucket or carrier bag when not in use). The only thing I would say is to not turn it on to full tap pressure immediately, but at half pressure to stretch it to the length you need, then on to full pressure. No need to wind it up either - just turn off the tap and it shrinks back to its original length in a few moments.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expanding-50Ft-Expandable-Flexible-Garden-X-Hose-Pipe-Spray-Gun-Non-Kink-/291516440113?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Sorry don't know how to shorten this link!

These hoses look and probably are good, but can't be used to connect to a pressure washer for boat cleaning....

L

I bought one of these new expanding non-kink hoses a few months back, and so far its been marvellous.

It does do what they say - it stretches to 3 times its original length, exceptionally lightweight, and takes very little space. (I just dump it in a small bucket or carrier bag when not in use). The only thing I would say is to not turn it on to full tap pressure immediately, but at half pressure to stretch it to the length you need, then on to full pressure. No need to wind it up either - just turn off the tap and it shrinks back to its original length in a few moments.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expanding-50Ft-Expandable-Flexible-Garden-X-Hose-Pipe-Spray-Gun-Non-Kink-/291516440113?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Sorry don't know how to shorten this link!

We have 2 of these (75 foot ones) (Only used the two together on the Weaver where the tap is 'miles' away from the mooring

They work on very low pressure but do not really expand to their full diameter (just length).

When you turn off the pressure they retract and 'squirt' the water out so the hose is empty.

Excellent - light weight and 'roll up' to almost pocket size when not in use.

Standard Hoselock push fit fittings.

I have made up a 'spout' end for ours with a 12" length of 15mm water pipe and a 'stop-tap' so I can turn it on at the tap, walk up to the boat as it expands, open the stop tap to get out the spiders and flush the pipe and then have a solid 12" to poke into the filler neck.

Try discount warehouses - JTF have them at the moment for £9.99.