Unwelcome Predator

Aguila

Featured Posts

An unwelcome predator spotted just below lock #4 of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Rufford Branch today. They have been known to chew through a fibreglass hull so tupperware boat owners beware! attachicon.gifDSC03c.jpgattachicon.gifDSC04c.jpgattachicon.gifDSC05c.jpg

Hmm, not sure about them chewing through a GRP hull, we had a family of mink living under the quayheading on our moorings on the Broads, they never showed any interest in eating our boat, much preferred live food in the way of rodents, birds, and fish.

Phil

I think mink have to be killed if possible. Those animal rights idiots "liberated" them and they've bred and decimated populations of prey species. I used to see them all the time on the Thames. Bloke in the boatyard where I worked used to trap and kill them.

Oh, am I staying into banned controversial territory?

I think mink have to be killed if possible. Those animal rights idiots "liberated" them and they've bred and decimated populations of prey species. I used to see them all the time on the Thames. Bloke in the boatyard where I worked used to trap and kill them.

As I understand it if you trap one you are not allowed to release it alive.

I did trap one with a proper mink trap but it was far from killed outright. That left me with a problem

I have caught two in Fen Mk IV rat traps, they were running round just wearing it like a collar, good job I had the chains attached to the traps..

That's them. They make a hell of a racket running about on the boat in the early hours of the morning

if you are, then I'll join you.

it's the animal rights activists who should be exterminated, just after we have declared the UK free from mink.

if you are, then I'll join you.

it's the animal rights activists who should be exterminated, just after we have declared the UK free from mink.

I have heard two sides to that argument. Mink farmers blame the Animal Rights people, Animal Rights say mink farmers released many when the bottom fell out of the trade, and in turn accused the animal rights of doing it. I have no idea which version is correct, and have no intention of getting drawn into a "debate." Those are the versions of the truth that I have read about.

I have heard two sides to that argument. Mink farmers blame the Animal Rights people, Animal Rights say mink farmers released many when the bottom fell out of the trade, and in turn accused the animal rights of doing it. I have no idea which version is correct, and have no intention of getting drawn into a "debate." Those are the versions of the truth that I have read about.

I know not what the truth may be, I tell the tale as told to me

Richard

... better to exterminate the government then.

............... no - I can't say that can I?

damn, these new rules are going to be hard to live with, innit?

An unwelcome predator spotted just below lock #4 of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Rufford Branch today.

from the title of the thread I thought you'd spotted George Osborne. unsure.png

Mink are members of the Mustelid family, along with stoats and weasels.

So if you aren't sure what you're looking at and think it's a mink. Just remember that weasels are weaselly recognised as stoats are stoatally different.....cool.png

I can't find the reference at the moment but mink did first appear decades before the mass releases, however the population was small and hadn't spread far.

It began to explode after the releases.

Exploding mink eh. No wonder they are destroying yogurt pots! :)