Then and Now

AMModels

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I heard that this arm, which we also have passed often, was being restored for use as a marina or as moorings. Can anyone substantiate this?

post-7043-0-97151800-1481748695_thumb.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/GriffArmRestoration/

"Bad news from Nuneaton & Bedworth Borough Council.
The Labour and Conservative Groups were not willing to sit and form a working group to even review our proposal.

We were not notified that this was on the agenda for discussion in this meeting. 26th September 2018."

Edited by Ray T

Based upon that video, we are clearly not being told the complete story. The Local Council cannot refuse to consider a legally submitted Planning Application, irerespective of whether they are able to recruit a working party, or not. The job of preparing the working documents for the consideration of a Planning Application rests with the Planning Officers, not the Councillors. Th role of the Councillors is to consider the application, together with the observations and reommendations of the Planning Officers.

There is also another oddity, the Committee Chairman suggested that the Council did not have the financial resources to fund a Working Party, this is a totally misleading statement, the cost of a Planning Application falls upon the applicant. The Council only becomes financially obliged if the application fails and susequently becomes the subject of a Planning Enquiry, when the Council does become responsible for their own costs, plus the costs of the applicant if the Applicant wins the enquiry.

The review and Scrutiny Working Party may well be part of  Nuneaton & Bedworth Borough Council's standard planning proceedure, but not being able to afford one cannnot  prevent that Application from being given full consideration within the statutory time scale.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

B&W images from daily mail apparently 1952

My colour images from last week. 

GU Regents section. 

Salmon lane lockIMG2019032212443709711553261043.jpg[br][br]11134404-6821713-image-a-41_155290949941[br][br][br]Commercial road lock[br][br]IMG201903221053303351553256937.jpg[br]11134376-6821713-image-a-53_155290952438[br][br]Sewer ventilation shaft between Salmon Lane and Johnsons lock.[br]IMG2019032212285721553257859.jpg[br]11134368-6821713-image-a-37_155290946065

• Greenie 1

I managed to get the Mile End locks one today. Quite sad that one. rubbish in the more recently  de-gated lock in the place of an attractive boat scene with both locks operational. 

IMG2019032712303567911553694427.jpg111343846821713imagea5015529095177531553

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

The canal appears to be still operational (boats moored in the background); so how do they get down the locks if some of the gates have been removed? Is that the limit of navigation?

They used to be paired locks now just single ones. The de-gated locks have stanks and are used as overspill weirs. 

The other lock works perfectly well I go through it regularly. 

I was just pointing out the difference in the images which are taken from almost exactly the same place. 

Edited by magnetman

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:02, Tim Lewis said:

Oozells Street Loop 1983 & 2019. 1983 Picture is from the Brummagem Boats Yard, the new one from the far end

131 BCN Brummagen Boats Ouzell St 8th Nov 1985.jpg

183 Central Birmingham Canals 1st January 2019.JPG

That one gave me quite a start.  Our first canal holiday was from Brummagem Boats in 1983 and the bloke on the back deck looks uncannily like a younger me.  Don't think it can be, though, as I don't recognise anyone else.  Did you take the picture? 

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

They used to be paired locks now just single ones. The de-gated locks have stanks and are used as overspill weirs. 

The other lock works perfectly well I go through it regularly. 

I was just pointing out the difference in the images which are taken from almost exactly the same place. 

Yes, I realised. I enjoy seeing these then and now photos.

On 27/03/2019 at 15:18, Mac of Cygnet said:

That one gave me quite a start.  Our first canal holiday was from Brummagem Boats in 1983 and the bloke on the back deck looks uncannily like a younger me.  Don't think it can be, though, as I don't recognise anyone else.  Did you take the picture? 

I certainly took the picture. The holiday was, if I recall correctly, a two boat hire of mainly Severn Valley Railway volunteers.

• 3 weeks later...

A recent discussion on a BCN Facebook group  and recent walks down the Titford canal bought about these two pictures of mine taken in 1996 and last weekend of New Inns Road Bridge.

The first shows the Langley Forge on the left and the Bridge Inn on the right. Both now demolished.  Remember going to the Bridge in the mid 1980's when it was an early example of the home brew pub revival albeit run by a major brewewry (Allied)

Tim

310 BCN Clallenge Titford Canal 3rd August 1996.jpg

IMG_8955.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1