Then and Now

AMModels

Featured Posts

This has opened up a whole new potential hobby of photographing my boat in the locations of the old photos. Now, where's that one on the Wey...

Is that Fulbourne in your first Limehouse pic Tim?

Yes it is

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I think the boat weighing machine was installed in the offside top lock in 1964, so the photo is presumably later than that. The boat which used to be in the machine was Northwich (not Northolt).

That's probably right I was delivering a load of concrete piles to Marsworth & was asked by the foreman at Hartshill if I could take some bits of the weighing machine to SB as they hadn't realised they had been left behind IIRC that would have been around early 64 as said the butty was "Northwich"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, greeno for that, Ray - all the more appealing in that the scene is instantly recognisable, despite bits having been added to and around the pub since the earlier snap was taken - which would perhaps be during the 1950s?

• 2 weeks later...

Great video, pity bit didn't show much of Docklands though, that is where there has been massive change.

I worked regularly in London until May 2013, and looking at TV programmes now there are areas that have changed greatly since then, so much so that I barely recognise them.

Must go back sometime for a day trip.

Edited to change "Uchida" back to wot I rote "much". Blurry spillchucker.

Edited by cuthound

Lots of clips on You Tube of London River, but this BTF film is excellent for dock working in general. Not London, but Hull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5Af5whTxs

Great film. I used to work with a guy who was an ex-London Docks Stevedore. He was full of stories usually involving compensation scams.

Seeing the planks of wood being craned into the hold reminded me of one of them. Apparently the ropes slipped, causing the planks to fall into the hold. One man in the hold was knocked unconcious. One man standing on deck, saw the opportunity for compensation, so jumped down into the hold, where he got a broken piece of wood and scratched himself with it, to draw blood.

When the ambulance crew arrived, they took him first because he was screaming so much, and then returned for the truly injured man. Needless to say, both got compensation.

Great film. I used to work with a guy who was an ex-London Docks Stevedore. He was full of stories usually involving compensation scams.

Seeing the planks of wood being craned into the hold reminded me of one of them. Apparently the ropes slipped, causing the planks to fall into the hold. One man in the hold was knocked unconcious. One man standing on deck, saw the opportunity for compensation, so jumped down into the hold, where he got a broken piece of wood and scratched himself with it, to draw blood.

When the ambulance crew arrived, they took him first because he was screaming so much, and then returned for the truly injured man. Needless to say, both got compensation.

Similar London Docks story.

Man coming out of Barge Aground pub saturday night, trips and breaks his leg. "No hospital, take me home" he says to his mates.

Monday morning, carried to docks where his mates push a stack of crates over his leg.

Doctor arrives, examines leg and says, "this hasn't just happened".

Burly docker leans over doctor's shoulder and says, "unless you want one just like it doc, it's just happened".

Compo duly claimed!

George ex nb Alton retired

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, alan_fincher said:

I wish the bottom picture was truly a "now" one, as it would mean butty Argo had not have been cut in half, (as it unfortunately now has been).

I've always found "now" to be relative. One question, at what time does "now" become "then"? ^_^

Actually when we came past in January Hardy was in a worse state than the photo above.

Edited by Ray T