Extractor Hood Over Hob in the Galley?

AdamG

Featured Posts

Hi

In searching for my recently purchased nb, I never came across one with an extractor hood over the stove - not even the brand new £150k boats in the magazines seem to have one. Why is this?

I understand that, perhaps away from landline electricity, they may draw too much power. Maybe there are models that don't draw too much? But when hooked up to mains power, I can't see what the problems might be.

Within the next few weeks, I'll be moving aboard and I currently live in a rented cottage with no extractor hood over the cooker. This leads, in time, to everything within an 8-foot radius collecting a greasy film of cooking gunge - not nice! I'm a keen cook and don't want the same gunge all over my boat, so I'm thinking of installing an extractor hood...

Any thoughts?

Kind Regs

Adam

We have a 12 volt one too. We found the 'usual' computer fan rubbish so mounted an 8 inch car radiator fan with a resistor to halve the speed and noise. A piece of stainless mesh to hold a grease filter and it is perfect.

Going thru a mushroom vent does the grease not sit on the roof around the vent?

No the grease filter deals with that and the charcoal filter is not required as the smells go outside,

Ours has been in nearly seven years and not had to clean the grease filter yet but there again we never cook anything that would make grease, only steam.

We have a 12 volt one too. We found the 'usual' computer fan rubbish so mounted an 8 inch car radiator fan with a resistor to halve the speed and noise. A piece of stainless mesh to hold a grease filter and it is perfect.

any pics of your setup ??

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses - sorry it took so long to reply but I forgot to follow the topic - doh! Bit new to the forum.

Some of these options look good - great that there are 12v options too. I'll definitely sort something out to avoid a grease-covered boat!