Mooring Pin/Spike Warning Covers

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Well me and dad have been looking at something to put over the mooring pins to warn people.

At first my dad said 'let's get some tennis balls and shove em ont top', me being a cereal ruminator said 'nor dad some kid will come along and boot the tennis ball and we might get sued'.

Anyway we've ordered some orange mooring pin socks that stand out.

It got me thinking though 'what if someone trips over or rides into the mooring pins/ropes on the towpath' ?

Who is liable if we take the necessary steps in placing a bloody great orange warning sock over the mooring pin ?

It's a blame N claim society these days...

Edited by GreyLady

Unless your mooring pin/line jumps out and assaults them, its their fault - they hit a static object. Obviously if you place them well away from the bank and on the bit someone would walk past, it could be deemed partly your fault but normally there is no need to do this.

Unless your mooring pin/line jumps out and assaults them, its their fault - they hit a static object. Obviously if you place them well away from the bank and on the bit someone would walk past, it could be deemed partly your fault but normally there is no need to do this.

Thanks for your advice Paul.

To be honest I've never seen anyone use the orange socks on the canals near us.

Maybe were still in the pre-boat owning over thinking phase. Haha

On Copperkins, we had a couple of small plastic ducks which did the job.

We've also used plastic bags tied to the pins.

Ann got a couple of dayglo sleeves at a boat show, but we've never used them. Bits cut from an old hi-vis jacket would do the job as well.

On Copperkins, we had a couple of small plastic ducks which did the job.

We've also used plastic bags tied to the pins.

Ann got a couple of dayglo sleeves at a boat show, but we've never used them. Bits cut from an old hi-vis jacket would do the job as well.

Plastic Ducks that's a great idea, I don't think my dad would let me though. (Sigh)

Thanks lain

Isn't the standard procedure just to tie any old bit of plastic bag on? As long as it's a bright colour which most of them are, it'll stand out against grass and other vegetation. If you do that and your pin is not too far back from the edge, no sane ambulance chasing lawyer would touch the case; no win, no fee, waste of their time. The presence of your bow or stern line is also a pretty good clue to the casual observer that there's going to be something at the end of it.

Isn't the standard procedure just to tie any old bit of plastic bag on? As long as it's a bright colour which most of them are, it'll stand out against grass and other vegetation. If you do that and your pin is not too far back from the edge, no sane ambulance chasing lawyer would touch the case; no win, no fee, waste of their time. The presence of your bow or stern line is also a pretty good clue to the casual observer that there's going to be something at the end of it.

That's what I had hoped Peter thanks.

I guess it's all new to me so I thought it better to ask.

I guess I should be more worried about kids throwing stuff off viaducts and bridges, when I was 8 I went on a bike ride on the towpath and some yobbo's dropped a panel of chipboard onto both my wrists and broke both of them.

Truth that.

If you hide the pins in the grass a bit away from the edge they do a great job of slowing cyclists down.................not that I would do this myself you understand,...oh no....never......

Cheers

Gareth

Oooow you are norty, hehehe

We stick (empty!) white plastic milk bottles over our pins.

Trina

Trina that sounds a lot cheaper than these orange things we just bought, we paid more P&P than they cost. Lol

CRT have thousands of mooring rings on towpath edges around the country with nothing bright attached, and those are easily missed when hidden by vegetation and there's no line attached, but they don't seem to get sued. This would be because the courts expect that a reasonable person would realise they might be there and keep to the path.

As darkness fell one evening last year at Aynho we were about to moor on pins when the skipper's foot hit a ring (not hard enough to hurt), so we hunted about in the undergrowth with a torch and found one or two more and used those.

Peter X, on 13 Mar 2016 - 3:19 PM, said:

CRT have thousands of mooring rings on towpath edges around the country with nothing bright attached, and those are easily missed when hidden by vegetation and there's no line attached, but they don't seem to get sued. This would be because the courts expect that a reasonable person would realise they might be there and keep to the path.

As darkness fell one evening last year at Aynho we were about to moor on pins when the skipper's foot hit a ring (not hard enough to hurt), so we hunted about in the undergrowth with a torch and found one or two more and used those.

All that is very true and logical but wasn't there a case recently (reported on here) of a cyclist/walker/jogger who tripped over somebodies pins (or could have been lines) and has actually instigated legal proceedings against the 'offending' boater??

Or perhaps I have dreamt it?

That makes sense Peter, but the canals near me don't have many mooring rings and come to fink about it quite a lot of collapsed banking at the moment.

I was quite surprised.

All that is very true and logical but wasn't there a case recently (reported on here) of a cyclist/walker/jogger who tripped over somebodies pins (or could have been lines) and has actually instigated legal proceedings against the 'offending' boater??

Did they win?

Paul C, on 13 Mar 2016 - 3:44 PM, said:

Did they win?

No idea - I think it was one of those classic cases where someone came to the forum with the first bit of the tale but didn't let us know of the outcome.

I sure hope they didn't.

No idea - I think it was one of those classic cases where someone came to the forum with the first bit of the tale but didn't let us know of the outcome.

I sure hope they didn't.

I vaguely remember the thread title too but didn't read it. I was hoping, IF it did go to court and the boater won, it would be further reinforcement of a victory for common sense.

Problem with using tennis balls is dogs are attracted to them, so they go missing.

We use bits of old plastic bags, or cut down 2 litreclemonade bottles, painted white.

Robbing dogs, tut

Spose empty scrumpy bottles painted white would do the same job.

Hiccup hkkk.

Are you thinking of the newly installed rings outside Waitrose in Aylesbury Basin which were cut off after a child tripped over one and fell in?

Are you thinking of the newly installed rings outside Waitrose in Aylesbury Basin which were cut off after a child tripped over one and fell in?

No there was reference to somebody pursuing a boater and that would be CRT.

There was some discussion about whether the boaters insurance would cover them..

Spray tennis balls with WD40 to stop dogs nicking them, but it doesn't stop scrotes from stealing them :(.

I fished a passing traffic cone out of the cut, cut the base off and the remainder into two. Drilled a 1" hole in each about two inches up from the bottom rim, cut down from the hole to the rim to take the mooring line and we've been using them to mark our pins for about ten years now.

Edited by BruceinSanity