Working a Swing Bridge alone.

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Is their a special trick to operating a Swing Bridge on the opposite side of the towpath whilst being single handed?

The only solution I can come up with is to take a blow up dinghy with me on trips out alone. - (to get back on the other side) Lol

Someone will be along shortly to explain about the "Banbury Stick". (EDIT: disregard this - see post 14).

Meanwhile, welcome back! How you been?

Edited by Athy

Is their a special trick to operating a Swing Bridge on the opposite side of the towpath whilst being single handed?

The same way you'd operate a lock single handed, take the bows into the nip and down the roof/gunwale. Tie it off, swing the bridge, climb back on and off you go.

Someone will be along shortly to explain about the "Banbury Stick".

Meanwhile, welcome back! How you been?

Thought the Banbury stick was for Lift rather than Swing bridges, would be interested to find out how it works on a swing "jobbie"

I think some of these replies are a bit iffy from wedging it open with a Banbury stick to leaving the swing bridge open and leaving .

Solution is to moor on operating side fight your way through the overgrown scrubland or scramble over garden fences or preferably wait for another boat .

On the Llangollen, most of the swing bridges do have a mooring point (often hidden in brambles etc) on the same side as the operating mechanism. I never knew they were there until some kind soul cut the grass and brambles back revealing it.

If you can't moor on the operational side, pull up on the landing stage taking your BOW rope with you across the bridge. Swing the bridge and pull the bow over to you. Walk down the gunwale, motor the boat through, and get off on the operational side with the STERN rope. Close the bridge and off you go. There's need for any tying up, just lay the rope on the ground ready for use as required.

• Greenie 1

Take the bow and stern lines with you, leaving them attached to the boat, open the bridge and then pull the boat through. Once through close the bridge, walk back across to the towpath and pull the boat in, get back on and carry on your way. If you have a search on YouTube there are many videos of people showing how to do it.

• Greenie 2

And yes, the Banbury stick is used to hold up LIFT bridges, typical of the Oxford canal (hence the name).

Take the bow and stern lines with you, leaving them attached to the boat, open the bridge and then pull the boat through. Once through close the bridge, walk back across to the towpath and pull the boat in, get back on and carry on your way. If you have a search on YouTube there are many videos of people showing how to do it.

Why pull the boat when you can motor it through?

And yes, the Banbury stick is used to hold up LIFT bridges, typical of the Oxford canal (hence the name).

Why pull the boat when you can motor it through?

Saves climbing on and off and having to get through the overgrown bushes, but if it is easy to get back on then yes use the engine.

Thought the Banbury stick was for Lift rather than Swing bridges, would be interested to find out how it works on a swing "jobbie"

Yes, you are quite correct. It was early when I wrote that reply and I had not yet finished my first cuppa coffee.

Maybe you ask a passer by to swing the bridge for you and if they say no you whack em ont head with the Banbury Stick. Hehe

And keep an eye on what the boats doing as you wind the bridge up.

Even a slight forward motion can result in the not fully raised yet bridge wiping out your tunnel light gubbins.

You might wonder how I know this.........................

I hate that bridge at Lapworth angry.png

Thanks for your help every one I will have a loook on YouTube for a video.

I think I get the jist but it sounds like I will need plenty of dot leaves to take away the nettle stings.

Much appreciated

And keep an eye on what the boats doing as you wind the bridge up.

Even a slight forward motion can result in the not fully raised yet bridge wiping out your tunnel light gubbins.

You might wonder how I know this.........................

I hate that bridge at Lapworth :angry2:

Ouch !

Saves climbing on and off and having to get through the overgrown bushes, but if it is easy to get back on then yes use the engine.

If you stay on the bridge abutment there's no need to scramble through bushes. There may be a little climbing involved to get back on the bridge abutment once you have motored through. I guess a lot depends on the size of your boat as well; a smaller boat will pull through easier than a bigger one. I have tried many different techniques and settled for the one I outlined in my earlier post, but it's worth experimenting to find a personal preference.

Maybe you ask a passer by to swing the bridge for you and if they say no you whack em ont head with the Banbury Stick. Hehe

Asking a passer by to help is often the advice given and strikes me as no help at all as there often isn't one.

On the other hand there is a lift bridge on the southern Oxord dead awkward or solo boaters I've worked out a strategy for operating alone, but can I get to test it out? Nope. Even if I try at 5am on a Monday morning ijn the pitch dark someone always pops up out of nowhere and says 'Oh, let me help you with that'.

I feel like saying NO BUGGER OFF I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF, but I'm too polite. I smile, say thank you and try to look pleased...

Thanks for your help every one I will have a loook on YouTube for a video.

I think I get the jist but it sounds like I will need plenty of dot leaves to take away the nettle stings.

Much appreciated

Ouch !

No need for nettle stings as you don't need to scramble through undergrowth.

Has it been electrified?

I thought I read the plans for that had been put on hold.

It hadn't been last time I passed through, late last year.

And yes that's the one I've never been able to finish operating alone without 'help' arriving!

No need for nettle stings as you don't need to scramble through undergrowth.

Quite. This is the beauty of this method. It all seems very civilised, simple and decorous when done right. Certainly no clambering through anything involved.

A simplification is to take the centre line across the bridge with you. Open the bridge, pull the boat through, shut the bridge, pull the boat back to the other landing stage, get back on. Slow but no climbing involved. Doesn't work with lift bridges though!

That's a long stern line ?