CRT Council Meeting 8 March 2016

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

This is the press release from today's meeting - it was interesting and again I genuinely got the feeling they want and value our opinions (one could be cynical and suggest that harnessing those opinions must be cheaper than consultants). I can see why Allan Leighton was appointed as Chairman of Trustees

press release

8 March

Meeting of the Canal & River Trust Council: March 2016

Today saw the Canal & River Trusts governing Council meet for the first time this year. Taking place at the Museum of Liverpool, the day was opened by chairman Allan Leighton and was also the first meeting for the new members elected in December last year.

The Council received presentations on the Trusts financial and fundraising activities, as well as update on the impact of this winters flooding in the north of England

Allan Leighton, chair of Trustees, says: Today was an opportunity to introduce the new members to the Trust, to report on how the Trust is progressing this year and look ahead to our plans for future years, taking input from all our members and the groups they represent. It was particularly good to welcome new members - those who elected back in December and others who have joined us as co-opted and nominated members.

The Council is made up of up to 40 nominated, co-opted or elected members, as well as the Chairs of 11 regional waterway partnerships. Together they reflect the wide appeal of the waterways from boating and angling through to walking and conservation. The Council is responsible for the appointment of Trustees, helps to shape policies and provides guidance and perspective to Trustees.

The Council next convenes on 22 September in Birmingham.

Ends Press Release

Thoughts on the first Council Meeting yesterday.

Nothing much achieved as it was the first meeting, so more of a meeting people; but we have asked for more where we can feedback rather than being talked at. We need to keep in mind that this is mainly people who have no boaters experience (apart from boater's reps) and so you got lots of reports about flooding, financials, marketing etc. Actually, the one thing that came out of it was that neither boaters nor friends feel valued - they get that and are building a database that will tell them who is where and what; at present, they haven't a clue who is a boater + volunteer + friend, volunteer + friend, they have a list of each, but not cross referenced. Interestingly, I think the new T&C came out of this forum 2 years (?) ago - going to have to go back through minutes. Met the other reps, who all seem ok - i think the main work of council comes outside this forum. The boater's reps have s meeting with the Head of Boating in April, that will be more useful. Also, worth noting is the predominance of white middle aged men on the Council and trustees, although they all welcomed me as a woman boater and I think I changed their perceptions of liveaboards. Also, worth noting is that half of the Senior Management Team at CRT are women.

Edited by StarUKKiwi

This is the press release from today's meeting - it was interesting and again I genuinely got the feeling they want and value our opinions (one could be cynical and suggest that harnessing those opinions must be cheaper than consultants). I can see why Allan Leighton was appointed as Chairman of Trustees

I don't see why it would be an issue to use the representatives as unpaid consultants or something to be cynical about. I would hope that was what the reps are there for to be consulted and listened to. Better that than paying expensive consultants from limited financial resources. Still, there are many things I don't see as an issue get complained about on here.

i believe that some people are telling others that Allan Leighton is Chair of CRT, but not the Trustees - I refer them to this page regarding the trustees.

Trustees

Our trustees are unpaid board directors, taking collective decisions on policy and strategy and providing oversight of the executive directors.

We have 10 trustees, and they are legally responsible for overseeing the work towards our charitable objectives.

Allan Leighton, chairman

Allan was recently appointed chair of the Co-operative Group. He is also chair of Pace plc, Entertainment One plc, Matalan Ltd, and Deputy Chairman of Pandora AS.

He is a patron of Breast Cancer Care and a keen canal runner.

He was formerly CEO of Asda plc, chairman of the Royal Mail and holds a number of non-executive chairmanships including Lastminute.com and BSkyB. He was also chairman of Race for Opportunity and an Ambassador for Prince Charles in Business in the Community. Allan attended the Advanced Management Programme at Harvard and has Honorary Degrees from Cranfield and an Honorary Fellowship from the University of Lancashire.

i believe that some people are telling others that Allan Leighton is Chair of CRT, but not the Trustees - I refer them to this page regarding the trustees.

Trustees

Our trustees are unpaid board directors, taking collective decisions on policy and strategy and providing oversight of the executive directors.

We have 10 trustees, and they are legally responsible for overseeing the work towards our charitable objectives.

Allan Leighton, chairman

Allan was recently appointed chair of the Co-operative Group. He is also chair of Pace plc, Entertainment One plc, Matalan Ltd, and Deputy Chairman of Pandora AS.

He was formerly CEO of Asda plc, chairman of the Royal Mail and holds a number of non-executive chairmanships including Lastminute.com and BSkyB. He was also chairman of Race for Opportunity and an Ambassador for Prince Charles in Business in the Community. Allan attended the Advanced Management Programme at Harvard and has Honorary Degrees from Cranfield and an Honorary Fellowship from the University of Lancashire.

(sighs)

He is chair of the trust, and also a trustee. (you have obviously not followed the script)

Trustees

Allan Leighton, chairman

Allan Leighton is a trustee, and chair of the canal and river trust. Not chair of the trustees.

'Chair of the trust' is really a euphemism for 'Chairman of Canal & River Trust's Board of Trustees'.

Under CaRT's articles of association the Trustees must appoint one of their number to be chair of trustees (Art. 8.1)

Art 8.2 states 'The Chair shall remain in office as Chair until his or her current term of office as a Trustee expires or he or she ceases to be a Trustee for any other reason pursuant to Article 24'.

When Tony Hales suddenly decided to 'step down' as a trustee mid-term, Articles 8.1. and 8.2 meant that the Trustees had to appoint one of their number to succeed him.

That person is Allan Leighton.

When Tony Hales suddenly decided to 'step down' as a trustee mid-term, ...Trustees appoint[ed] one of their number to succeed him. ...Allan Leighton.

It didn't look sudden to me. As quoted, AllanL has a high profile in board chairmanship and is said to 'know everybody' who might be good volunteers as fellow trustees. He was appointed as a trustee, then a few months later TonyH resigned. Looked like scripted choreography to me. :-)

'Chair of the trust' is really a euphemism for 'Chairman of Canal & River Trust's Board of Trustees'.

Under CaRT's articles of association the Trustees must appoint one of their number to be chair of trustees (Art. 8.1)

Art 8.2 states 'The Chair shall remain in office as Chair until his or her current term of office as a Trustee expires or he or she ceases to be a Trustee for any other reason pursuant to Article 24'.

When Tony Hales suddenly decided to 'step down' as a trustee mid-term, Articles 8.1. and 8.2 meant that the Trustees had to appoint one of their number to succeed him.

That person is Allan Leighton.

In line with the organisation’s Articles of Association, trustees duly elected the next chair from their number when they met on 15 July. [unquote]

You and stella can wriggle with it as much as you wish Allan Richards, but the above quote is quite simply understood (for most anyway).

It didn't look sudden to me. As quoted, AllanL has a high profile in board chairmanship and is said to 'know everybody' who might be good volunteers as fellow trustees. He was appointed as a trustee, then a few months later TonyH resigned. Looked like scripted choreography to me. :-)

Possibly, it seemed to be in line with other changes made and with three other trustees deciding to step down; there will be further changes in culture. Further interviews are scheduled in the next month and announcements will be made on the new appointments in due course. I can't remember all the names, but Clive Henderson was one of them.

I will rest easy now knowing that Council have met. Can't wait to hear about the next meeting in 6 months time.

Possibly, it seemed to be in line with other changes made and with three other trustees deciding to step down; there will be further changes in culture. Further interviews are scheduled in the next month and announcements will be made on the new appointments in due course. I can't remember all the names, but Clive Henderson was one of them.

Clive Henderson was one of what?

• Greenie 1

Can you please clarify what you are saying about Clive Henderson.

AFAIK he is not, and never has been, a Trustee.

Can you please clarify what you are saying about Clive Henderson.

He's a self preening busybody.

only met him once, at an event way out of his sphere of knowledge, where he said he was there just as an observer and then proceeded to spout lots of spin about something he was completely wrong about.

edited as I called him a knob without expanding on it.

Edited by matty40s

I will rest easy now knowing that Council have met. Can't wait to hear about the next meeting in 6 months time.

I would have thought that, that information would have come under the 'official secrets act' that you signed, unless it is already widely known who the planned replacement trustees are.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

He's a self preening busybody.

only met him once, at an event way out of his sphere of knowledge, where he said he was there just as an observer and then proceeded to spout lots of spin about something he was completely wrong about.

edited as I called him a knob without expanding on it.

clapping.gif

I think she is implying (not very well) that Clive Henderson wants to be a trustee.

Oh good - we will all be saved!

From CaRT's website -

Clive is a life member of the Inland Waterways Association, serving as trustee from 2002 to 2015 and the national chairman from 2008 to 2012.

He was a member of the British Waterways Advisory Forum from 2008 and its chairman from 2010 to 2012 and observer to the Board of British Waterways 2010 to 2012.

Clive is a member of the Trust's Joint Council & Trustees Appointments Committee and an Observer on the Trust's Navigation Advisory Group, Licensing & Moorings.

It is the Trust's four person Joint Council & Trustees Appointments Committee (of which Clive was a member up until the meeting) that recommends the appointment of new Trustees.

Did Clive recommended himself or did he abstain?

One thing that many new members elected or appointed to semi-representative bodies is just how much of what they hear they can report back to their constituencies.

There is evidence on this forum that others have wrestled with this in the past - it is often a lose-lose situation.

One thing that many new members elected or appointed to semi-representative bodies is just how much of what they hear they can report back to their constituencies.

There is evidence on this forum that others have wrestled with this in the past - it is often a lose-lose situation.

The 2 key words being "elected" and "appointed" if elected IMO they have a duty to report back all the facts.

It seems some of you have mis-understood StarUKKiwi words. I should point out the Clive is a retiring "Elected Council Member" He was also appointed as one of the council representatives on the Appointments committee, The function of which is to select trustees to be offered for appointment by the council, but you all knew that especially those that have read the rules and regs, the whole council then review their recommendations. There are six people on the appointments committee, 3 from the council and three from the trustees, it is a very hard job, I should point out that they are not paid to do it! In the commercial world this is a highly paid position in any company. We the council members are deciding who to appoint to replace Clive. The other two council members are from the nominate group, and have been re-nominated and are prepared to carry on, which is grand. Two of the newly appointed council members are prepared to standing and we the council members have to choose which one to appoint, which is happening. We are getting on doing our job.

As to reporting back, once selected by election and appointed there is currently no feedback mechanism, and certainly no duty, other than moral, although I know several of us would like to change this.

--

cheers Ian Mac

It seems some of you have mis-understood StarUKKiwi words. I should point out the Clive is a retiring "Elected Council Member" He was also appointed as one of the council representatives on the Appointments committee, The function of which is to select trustees to be offered for appointment by the council, but you all knew that especially those that have read the rules and regs, the whole council then review their recommendations. There are six people on the appointments committee, 3 from the council and three from the trustees, it is a very hard job, I should point out that they are not paid to do it! In the commercial world this is a highly paid position in any company. We the council members are deciding who to appoint to replace Clive. The other two council members are from the nominate group, and have been re-nominated and are prepared to carry on, which is grand. Two of the newly appointed council members are prepared to standing and we the council members have to choose which one to appoint, which is happening. We are getting on doing our job.

As to reporting back, once selected by election and appointed there is currently no feedback mechanism, and certainly no duty, other than moral, although I know several of us would like to change this.

--

cheers Ian Mac

I do not see how there can be any misunderstanding in StarUKKiwi's post :

Further interviews are scheduled in the next month and announcements will be made on the new appointments in due course. I can't remember all the names, but Clive Henderson was one of them.

Which clearly states that 'interviews for new appointments ....... of which Clive Henderson was one......."

The fact that your post is totally at odds with this is causing the confusion - you cannot both be correct.

I guess its one of the problems of 'leaking' information before the press release / minutes have been agreed.