Kelvin K2 in 2001 65ft Traditional for sale at Aquaduct - IVY

Seti-Yeti

Featured Posts

The boat was for sale at Venetian Marina for over a year, at a price of £40k, fully fitted out with quite a nice interior, including a reasonable back cabin. It wasn't that long ago that it sold. Its bizarre that someone should have bought it, stripped out what was a good fitout, then is selling it again so soon at basically half the price, it just doesn't make sense! The hull looked a bit rough back then (while in the water), maybe that's part of the reason for the sad story. Its quite young though, 2001, but of course if it had been neglected could have needed welding?

The boat was for sale at Venetian Marina for over a year, at a price of £40k, fully fitted out with quite a nice interior, including a reasonable back cabin. It wasn't that long ago that it sold. Its bizarre that someone should have bought it, stripped out what was a good fitout, then is selling it again so soon at basically half the price, it just doesn't make sense! The hull looked a bit rough back then (while in the water), maybe that's part of the reason for the sad story. Its quite young though, 2001, but of course if it had been neglected could have needed welding?

It's certainly been a money pit for the last owner, and it may have needed welding but even if it needed extensive welding then I can't understand why the boat would have needed such an extensive strip-out?

I can only imagine they didn't get a survey, found it needed replating, started the strip out, got carried away, binned it all, then gave up hence its for sale. I don't really know but what would people estimate the value of the engine to be?

I can only imagine they didn't get a survey, found it needed replating, started the strip out, got carried away, binned it all, then gave up hence its for sale. I don't really know but what would people estimate the value of the engine to be?

I'd value the engine at about £10k, assuming it's in passable condition and starts easily. £20k would be top money for a newly re-built one in my opinion, but this one is an unknown quantity.

Getting it out might involve chopping a hole in the roof of the shell, which will cost a grand or two to do nicely...

That's good then.

Seems an object lesson in how to destroy the value in a boat though. Must have been a LOAD of work stripping out that interior!

I'm faintly tempted to buy it myself just for the engine. But the shell must be close to a liability without even an engine.

I've heard the engine running but it was a little while ago. It started fine from cold, once the airbox had been heated with a blowlamp and the various things that need doing, were done (putting diesel into little caps, decompressing, etc etc) It doesn't have a magneto so it needs to start on diesel. It ran fine at various revs, and of course sounded wonderful.

It's very odd, isn't it?

They don't tell you even who built the shell. nor give decent exterior pictures of most of it. With that engine one needs to see the swim design has any chance of doing it justice.

Hard to tell from the very small photos, but.....

1) The swim visible in the internal picture, plus the proximity of the stern tube to the uxter don't exactly give the impression of enough space to swing a prop that would do justice to the K2.

2) Is there any evidence of a weed hatch? Not having one would be unusual on a 2001 boat.

3) My understanding is that in an ideal installation the K2 requires massive engine beds, way beyond smaller "vintage" engines' requirements. I'm not convinced that is the case here.

As I said, it's all very odd, isn't it?

Edited by alan_fincher

I've heard the engine running but it was a little while ago. It started fine from cold, once the airbox had been heated with a blowlamp and the various things that need doing, were done (putting diesel into little caps, decompressing, etc etc) It doesn't have a magneto so it needs to start on diesel. It ran fine at various revs, and of course sounded wonderful.

No magneto, yet it is the petrol start version given the photos show a petrol start carburetor .

Not good, as important bits are therefore missing.

• 1 month later...

Reduced once more, now at £12,995.

I looked at Ivy when she was for sale at Venetian at almost £45k. I thought the interior a little too cramped in certain parts especially for the price being asked.

My boat is on hard-standing at Aqueduct Marina so I have seen Ivy arrive on hard-standing, a skip placed in front of her and it filled as the interior has emptied.

It is sad to see a decent boat in it's current state.

If only it was 18 months ago when I had no boat ....

This one gets more and more bizarre!

I can't find it on the CanalPlan boat listing.

Other boats that are claimed to be built by Ron Turner, or ron Turner (runcorn), have CRT index numbers that place the as built either about 1982 or 1992, but none built in this century, as this one claims.

The details also give this as only having a 6mm base plate - highly unusual in a professional build from 2001.

Whatever has cause the price to be cut by a further £5000 surely suggests all is far from well with this boat?

• 3 weeks later...

I am the new owner of the "ivy" the boat is in good condition ,the reason for her reduction in price and long time in selling seems to be down to the fact it has the kelvin engine in it ! From what I have heard it seemed to put people off ,and the fact that "everything "has been stripped out (exactly what I want) but yet again not everyone's cup of tea ,must admit the engine nearly put me off but I like the idea now lol

Ivy seems to have a lot going for it. However, I would seriously consider beefing up the engine mountings. Kelvins are supposed to have the engine beds tied in to the side of the boat - see the picture in post #13.

I don't know whether you have a fully working petrol start with a magneto, but if not I'd recommend fitting a thermostart to the air intake. These work extremely well and make starting a doddle in the depths of winter.

post-5123-0-13664000-1463254286.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

You got a linky for that part as well? Ours needs replacing.

They are very difficult to source. Some on the internet are going for silly prices. They are now made by a Czech firm (Iskra)

I emailed info@iskra-agv.cz and asked for a list of UK stockists. They were very helpful. I was given a stockist, but they seem no longer to be trading, so it's worth going back to Iskra for advice.

You can find plenty of these things on the internet, but you are always asked for for vehicle make and model. Not much use for a Kelvin. They come with all different threads and lengths, so you need to know what yours are. Have you still got the Iskra or Delph part no?

Sorry not to be or more help.

Edited by koukouvagia