Westport Lake moorings - facilities

Ange

Featured Posts

Sounds to me like it's been part of the scheme to have these facilities, council operated, as part of that leisure development, like the moorings themselves. You can buy key barrels and padlocks from CRT. Then it's got lost in the CRT messing about with management structures somewhere.

An email to Damian Kemp pointing out that the facilities don't appear on the CRT maps might be an idea.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Spot on - we filled up with water at the Harecastle Tunnel because it's slightly closer, but you wouldn't be able to wind a 70ft boat there (ours is 57ft) so Etruria would be the next best option

You used to be able to wind 72 ft there with no problem till they buggered it all up.

I wonder if the fact it is not signed or shown on any maps is because there isn't sufficient disabled access at this time therefore it can't become an official CRT services?

That's a very good point. Maybe they're waiting for funding to provide the wheelchair access and signage. It was noticeably disabled friendly with loads of room, grab rails and those alarm cords with the red handles that reach to the ground in case of a fall. Maybe the money ran out and they can't advertise it until it's finished?

You see, these kind of threads are what I love about CWF.

By the way, the Oatcake Boat is seriously well worth a visit if you see it.

Thanks for the heads up on the facilities.

Rog

Me too on all counts. Kay does some amazing oatcakes (our paths have crossed)

We'll be loitering around this area till the end of May if anyone fancies saying hello

Edited by Ange

We'll be loitering around this area till the end of May if anyone fancies saying hello or feels brave enough to go to the pub with us (we have a record of getting forum members unexpectedly drunk!)

They're very easy to make for yourself. There are hundreds of slightly-conflicting recipes on etube, or whatever it is. We make them regularly, and I like them better than dried-out 'bought' ones.

Not that the Oatcake boat does the dried-out ones - I doubt that very much. I've just never tried them.

They're very easy to make for yourself. There are hundreds of slightly-conflicting recipes on etube, or whatever it is. We make them regularly, and I like them better than dried-out 'bought' ones.

Not that the Oatcake boat does the dried-out ones - I doubt that very much. I've just never tried them.

Pre oatcake boat I'd only tried oatcakes from sandwich shops - the choices at the hospital are Passion or Brayfords. The ones from the boat were so much better.

On a tee hee note I edited my post to take out the getting forumites drunk note but wasn't quick enough to beat you quoting me :D

Edited by Ange

You used to be able to wind 72 ft there with no problem till they buggered it all up.

I tried to wind my boat there last year but couldn't, the tunnel keeper confirmed that it was not my incompetence.

I posted about it on here but not all the responses agreed with me - so maybe there is a trick to it.

Anyway, we reversed back to Westport and the next day, to the boat yard, where we winded.

Frank.

I tried to wind my boat there last year but couldn't, the tunnel keeper confirmed that it was not my incompetence.

I posted about it on here but not all the responses agreed with me - so maybe there is a trick to it.

Anyway, we reversed back to Westport and the next day, to the boat yard, where we winded.

Frank.

I think there was a time when you could but it's no longer possible. Certainly the configuration now would not allow a full length boat to wind.

Frank.

Nothing to do with you I have winded 71'6" but that was in the late 80's or early 90's you might get 65' now. No idea why they mucked about with it but they did.

We'll be loitering around this area till the end of May if anyone fancies saying hello

Then we shall look out for you on our travels.

Since you are that close to Kidsgrove and it's environs; have you found The Rising Sun at Scholar Green yet? - One of my favourite pubs on the Macc. Actually since I only have two favourites on the Macc (the other being The Vine at Bollington) I can safely call it my most favourite pub

Since you are that close to Kidsgrove and it's environs; have you found The Rising Sun at Scholar Green yet? - One of my favourite pubs on the Macc. Actually since I only have two favourites on the Macc (the other being The Vine at Bollington) I can safely call it my most favourite pub

Boar's Head at Poynton for me every time. Fresh pies every day, yum. And a decent pint of ale for not too much money.

That's a very good point. Maybe they're waiting for funding to provide the wheelchair access and signage. It was noticeably disabled friendly with loads of room, grab rails and those alarm cords with the red handles that reach to the ground in case of a fall. Maybe the money ran out and they can't advertise it until it's finished?

It's a very odd structure. The visitor centre, that is. They took ages to build it, and it's a nice design but it's pretty scruffy now and the ground round it is a mess. i think they just ran out of money to finish the planned job.

Boar's Head at Poynton for me every time. Fresh pies every day, yum. And a decent pint of ale for not too much money.

Mmmm I suspect The Boar's Head could be number three then

No such pub. You mean The Vale I think. Agree about The Rising Sun. I fell in after a lunchtime in there. It's a while since I've been to The Boar's Head. I'll have to do some research.

No such pub. You mean The Vale I think. Agree about The Rising Sun. I fell in after a lunchtime in there. It's a while since I've been to The Boar's Head. I'll have to do some research.

You are so right

You certainly should! I would rate both the Wharf at Macclesfield (quite close to the canal) and the Queen's Head at Congleton (a stagger away) higher than either of these.

Your company is always welcome :)

We tend only to go pubbing when we have company to save the pennies for our travels so there are many treasures close to us we haven't experienced yet. Will definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

We'll be coming past over Easter at some point.

• 2 months later...