LPG Gas Regulator Recall

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

There is an important recall notice out on the following LPG gas regulator sold between June 2010 and September 2015:

Novacomet branded BP1803 LPG Gas Regulator

The recall helpline is 0800 088 5545

Registration Website: www.clessesafetynotice.com

Email: safetynotice@clesse.eu

It is very possible that the company enlisted as recall agents are unaware of the existence of the BSS and have therefore not directed their publicity through this channel. I have shared the information with my local BSS examiner.

The reason given for the recall: "Following extensive field sampling and testing Clesse Industries have identified that in certain operational and environmental conditions the corrosion protection used on regulator range BP1803 may be compromised with a potential for the regulator fail".

We issued two support recall notices yesterday.

The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) is supporting Kidde Safety Europe Ltd to alert any boaters to the immediate product recall on its “Kidde” or “Lifesaver” fire blankets following concerns regarding their effectiveness in the event of an oil pan fire.

The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) is supporting Clesse Industries to make boaters aware of the immediate product recall on its Novacomet branded BP1803 LPG regulators manufactured between June 2010 and September 2015.

The links can be seen bottom right of our home page www.boatsafetyscheme.org

Both are very important, please take out 10 minutes of your day to make the checks suggested.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

There is an important recall notice out on the following LPG gas regulator sold between June 2010 and September 2015:

Novacomet branded BP1803 LPG Gas Regulator

The recall helpline is 0800 088 5545

Registration Website: www.clessesafetynotice.com

Email: safetynotice@clesse.eu

It is very possible that the company enlisted as recall agents are unaware of the existence of the BSS and have therefore not directed their publicity through this channel. I have shared the information with my local BSS examiner.

The reason given for the recall: "Following extensive field sampling and testing Clesse Industries have identified that in certain operational and environmental conditions the corrosion protection used on regulator range BP1803 may be compromised with a potential for the regulator fail".

I have just had an EXTREMELY non-productive call from this lot.

I have one of their blessed regulators.

"We can either send it to your engineer to fit, but we will need his gas safe ID, or we can supply an engineer to fit it at our cost. Our engineers work Monday to Friday and you can choose Morning or Afternoon"

So, I bought a regulator mail order from ASAP supplies and fitted it myself (which I am perfectly entitled to do, have done before, and never had a single issue with BSS). It turns out to be faulty, and it appears I have 3 choices;

1) Take a day off work so they can come and fit it.

2) Pay a gas safe engineer to fit it for me at the weekend

3) Cut my losses and throw the sodding thing in the bin and buy another (not manufactured by these clowns)

Or, regrettably, because it isn't their fault, pull SOGA on ASAP supplies to get a replacement without jumping through their hoops.

Yikes! This may be what we have! New regulator put on September. Has worked apparently OK.

Will have to check the label for sure. How does it go for guarantees of work done?, as we paid someone to put ours on.

Where are these things made? China?!!??

June 2010 - Sept 2015 - that's a longish period, how many of these units have been produced? Millions?

What's the real story behind this? I assume the 'field testing' has been made by those who bought 'em, eh?!

Are boats automatically now uninsured if they are fitted with one of these?

I mean, if I were an insurance company, I wouldn't like to be risking money on boats and caravans that are likely to flare up all of a sudden!

'Red sky at night = Oops! My boat's alight!" ??!!

(and does the time period suggest that failures have been noticed more in the older units, meaning one manufactured in 2013 is liable to be more OK than one made in 2011 for instance?)

(well, they're celebrating 60 years of 'expertise' according to themselves wink.pnghttp://www.clesse.eu/com/images/PDF/International_Catalogue.pdf )

Also this: http://www.aquafax.co.uk/images/aceimages/PDF's/Clesse-BP1803%20Regulator%20Notification.pdf

Edited by Emerald Fox

I have just had an EXTREMELY non-productive call from this lot.

I have one of their blessed regulators.

"We can either send it to your engineer to fit, but we will need his gas safe ID, or we can supply an engineer to fit it at our cost. Our engineers work Monday to Friday and you can choose Morning or Afternoon"

So, I bought a regulator mail order from ASAP supplies and fitted it myself (which I am perfectly entitled to do, have done before, and never had a single issue with BSS). It turns out to be faulty, and it appears I have 3 choices;

1) Take a day off work so they can come and fit it.

2) Pay a gas safe engineer to fit it for me at the weekend

3) Cut my losses and throw the sodding thing in the bin and buy another (not manufactured by these clowns)

Or, regrettably, because it isn't their fault, pull SOGA on ASAP supplies to get a replacement without jumping through their hoops.

Yeah send it back for an exchange to ASAP supplies and let them swap it with the supplier.

• 2 months later...

I've posted about our poor service from Clesse on the equipment section.

Two months since we registered with them for a replacement regulator and they have still not found a gas fitter that will carry out the work. We have called several times only to be fobbed off with excuse after excuse.

It's reaching the point now for Trading Standards and the press to be involved.

I will now be requesting a new regulator and will pay someone to fit it. Will be advising friends to avoid this companies products.

>>>

The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) is supporting Kidde Safety Europe Ltd to alert any boaters to the immediate product recall on its “Kidde” or “Lifesaver” fire blankets following concerns regarding their effectiveness in the event of an oil pan fire.

<<<

Thanks

Rob

The wording within the link recommends not using the affected fire blanket on an oil pan fire.

Hmm.

Should we just let the fire burn, use something else (presumably even less effective) or go ahead and use the "faulty" blanket on the basis that it is still infinitely better than no fire blanket at all?

Discuss.

Personally, I'll stick to the chippy instead of frying 'em myself.

Edited by Machpoint005

The wording within the link recommends not using the affected fire blanket on an oil pan fire.

Hmm.

Should we just let the fire burn, use something else (presumably even less effective) or go ahead and use the "faulty" blanket on the basis that it is still infinitely better than no fire blanket at all?

Discuss.

Personally, I'll stick to the chippy instead of frying 'em myself.

Maybe they act as wicks and makes matters worse?