BSS Standards Declined by Lake District Authorities

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

"Not comprehensive"?

So because it doesn't do everything they want, they are going to do without it altogether? Babies and bathwater anybody?

Forgive me, but their logic escapes me.

Why not use the BSS, and add on the extra requirements which they deem would make it comprehensive.

Well, of course, they wouldn't do that because it makes sense, and making sense is not a speciality of quangoes like the LDNP.

I would have understood had they said that common sense and education were more effective than rules, but they didn't say that.

Very odd, these lake people.

"Not comprehensive"?

So because it doesn't do everything they want, they are going to do without it altogether? Babies and bathwater anybody?

Forgive me, but their logic escapes me.

Why not use the BSS, and add on the extra requirements which they deem would make it comprehensive.

Well, of course, they wouldn't do that because it makes sense, and making sense is not a speciality of quangoes like the LDNP.

I would have understood had they said that common sense and education were more effective than rules, but they didn't say that.

I think it likely that they have looked at the BSS and decided an awful lot of it is BS that is not applicable to the majority of boaters and boats on the lakes.....there are not many canal boats there

Wasn't it on the lakes that a woman and child died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a bodged internal generator installation?

Perhaps sometimes education alone is not enough...

Edited for spillung.

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 2

Wasn't it on the lakes that a woman and child died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a bodged internal generator installation?

Edited for spillung.

yes, it's covered in the link above.

what is worse is that the guy found guilty of manslaughter as a result was the boat's owner and a registered gas safe installer. frusty.gif

Edited for spillung.

It's from that incident that the BSS was recommended.

I think it likely that they have looked at the BSS and decided an awful lot of it is BS that is not applicable to the majority of boaters and boats on the lakes.....there are not many canal boats there

But plenty of cruisers tho with dodgy gas systems?

cuthound, on 26 Feb 2016 - 1:29 PM, said:

Edited for spillung.

Yes and its a very strange decision in light of it.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80209&hl=windermere

Have you lived in the Lakes long to be able to pontificate about LDNP authority. I have lived here for 66 of my 69 years and they have operated well during the years I have known them.

As a result of being a born and bred Cumbrian I take the last line as a personal insult.

BSS needs reining in.

Fuel systems safe and detectors fitted (smoke and Co ) these are good safety points to prevent death but the committee must always find more to add.

We had an increase in charge because of certificate being forgery proof ? now we do not get one but cost has stayed up ?

I have just had these prices quoted for BSS

£135 including re test if needed

£160 plus £40 if retest needed = possible £200

£140 but will need to pay for a separate gas test as not able to do that part because live aboard.Total £?

Have you lived in the Lakes long to be able to pontificate about LDNP authority. I have lived here for 66 of my 69 years and they have operated well during the years I have known them.

As a result of being a born and bred Cumbrian I take the last line as a personal insult.

My original statement was just a light-hearted, throw-away line. Not to be taken seriously.

But your massive over-reaction seems to suggest that there is more than a little truth in my jest.

I suggest you lighten up a little.

It's more than probable. But if so, why say it is "not comprehensive"? It's the explanation rather than the decision which puzzles me.

You can load layer upon layer of regulations on people thinking that the more the safer but if a knowlegable bloke like a gas fitter lashes up some awful exhaust system there is no regulation or fine on earth that will stop him. A bit of extra education just may, possibly, have lit up a light bulb.

You can load layer upon layer of regulations on people thinking that the more the safer but if a knowlegable bloke like a gas fitter lashes up some awful exhaust system there is no regulation or fine on earth that will stop him. A bit of extra education just may, possibly, have lit up a light bulb.

I presume that in order to obtain his gas safe qualification he had to prove that he was educated in gas safety, including the knowledge that CO can kill.

Education alone is not enough, you need to check understanding and test those qualified periodically to ensure compliance.

But your massive over-reaction seems to suggest that there is more than a little truth in my jest.

I presume you think that isn't offensive either. When you live in the Lakes you get more than a little sick of Touroids (a pain in the nether regions just like the word they sound like) demanding this and making fun of that.

There was even a member of this forum a few months back complaining that when they visited the Lake District they wanted Lakes accents not polish or any other European as if the people of the Lakes were some form of exhibit. Its a wonder people aren't demanding we all wear smocks and walk round with straws hanging out of their mouths.

the guy found guilty of manslaughter as a result was the boat's owner and a registered gas safe installer.

In which case, could he have granted his own BSSC and/or live-aboard gas safety element thereof, had the scheme been adopted? In which case, having the BSSC adopted would not have helped prevent the incident?

AIUI they've not taken on the BSS but they have now made it mandatory to have insurance. Which looking at the BSS and its possible overregulation etc (and that there's critical areas it DOESN'T cover too....) seems sensible, especially when looking at the situation as a whole, rather than focusing on one incident.

HOWEVER since they have insisted on insurance, it may well be that boat insurers impose their own particular conditions upon boat(er)s, of which we don't know how extensive these will be.

My insurance covers all European waters, coastal, inland and offshore contained within the area not North of 62 degress North, not South of 35 degrees North, not West of 12 Degress West andEast of 30 degress East.

I have no specific 'safety' requirements stated on the policy but I guess the 'catch-all' below covers pretty much everything :

Section I – General Conditions that apply to the whole Policy

1 You must comply with all of the following conditions:

1.1 If You give permission for someone else to be in charge of the Vessel, You must take steps to ensure that they have experience to do so.

1.2 The Vessel must not be navigated single-handed by anyone for a period in excess of 18 consecutive hours.

1.3 You must maintain the Vessel for the use intended.

1.4 You must not make any commitment on Our behalf without Our prior agreement.

1.5 The Vessel and the manner in which it is used or operated must comply with all statutory and local regulations or licencing conditions, as are applicable.

1.6 You must not use or allow the Vessel to be used for any unlawful purpose.

So if French regulations say you must only use Blue diesel and you are found with Red, then in theory your insurance is invalid.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Your not a born and bred Cumbrian. It didn't exist 69 years ago. I was born in Westmorland and have never called myself a Cumbrian :-) Edited by cloggy

Your not a born and bred Cumbrian. It didn't exist 69 years ago. I was born in Westmorland and have never called myself a Cumbrian :-)

Having been born in Cumberland we on the west coast were calling ourselves Cumbrian long before they did away with Westmorland. I have heard inhabitants of Westmorland use a similar abbreviation (if you can call Westmerian an abbreviation).

Also I didn't expect anybody to not be able to recognise the fact I was referring to being born and bred in the area now known as Cumbria.

I really should have known better.

I presume you think that isn't offensive either. When you live in the Lakes you get more than a little sick of Touroids (a pain in the nether regions just like the word they sound like) demanding this and making fun of that.

There was even a member of this forum a few months back complaining that when they visited the Lake District they wanted Lakes accents not polish or any other European as if the people of the Lakes were some form of exhibit. Its a wonder people aren't demanding we all wear smocks and walk round with straws hanging out of their mouths.

No, it's not. You are just being a silly-billy. And as for "touroids", don't you think that might be offensive too?

Now, as I suggested earlier, lighten up. Professional offence-takers are tedious in the extreme.

AIUI they've not taken on the BSS but they have now made it mandatory to have insurance. Which looking at the BSS and its possible overregulation etc (and that there's critical areas it DOESN'T cover too....) seems sensible, especially when looking at the situation as a whole, rather than focusing on one incident.

HOWEVER since they have insisted on insurance, it may well be that boat insurers impose their own particular conditions upon boat(er)s, of which we don't know how extensive these will be.

I saw on the news that they were going to insist on liability insurance. trouble with that is insurance deals with the aftermath of an incident it does nothing to prevent it.

I would not say BSS is a complete answer either but I would think that some regulation like BSS plus education of the rules and consequences and dangers of ignoring them would go some way to being preventative.

Having said that idiots will do dumb things either in ignorance or an arrogance of I know better! Any one with a little common sense and a few clicks of research on the internet would see what the person who modified the generator with an exhaust bodge got it badly wrong. In the instructions for most of these suitcase generators it will state modifying the exhaust in that way is a bad idea and not to be done.

So, were you born and bred in the Lake District, I think he mentioned lake, not Cumbria

Edited by rasputin

Having been born in Cumberland we on the west coast were calling ourselves Cumbrian long before they did away with Westmorland. I have heard inhabitants of Westmorland use a similar abbreviation (if you can call Westmerian an abbreviation).

Also I didn't expect anybody to not be able to recognise the fact I was referring to being born and bred in the area now known as Cumbria.

I really should have known better.

You learn something new everyday. My Granmother was from Dalton and I have family in Millom. I was dragged up in Windermere