huge fish

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

I am not a fisherman but I thought catches had to be put back. Having said that, Pike are fish eaters I yhink so if it was that big it probably ate half the stock, no wonder someone chopped it's head off.

One of the things that I learned from CWDF is that a pike's favourite food is smaller pike. The big pike need to be thrown back in so that they control the numbers of the smaller pike. If this isn't done you get a medium sized pike population explosion which eats all the other fish in the river/canal. This will carry on until a particularly feisty medium pike manages to gain the upper hand (fin?) and becomes the top pike eating all the others.

At least I think that I learned that correctly. Doubtless someone will appear and put me right soon.

Nick

I am not a fisherman but I thought catches had to be put back. Having said that, Pike are fish eaters I yhink so if it was that big it probably ate half the stock, no wonder someone chopped it's head off.

Maybe it was someone's Propellor?

What one of these? (in the days when I used to pike fish). smile.png

242lbpluspike_zps18718947.jpg

That is what is drawing me to Windermere for the first season when i get the boot going, some darn big crocks in there. Thats a beaut you got there kida. Dead bait ?

Yes fresh whole herring wink.png

MMmmm tatsy.

I got 1/2kg of sprat from Tesco last week, breaded some for my self and going wobbling next week with the rest i hope on the Bolton-Bury canal. full of Jacks but fun, some darn big perch if your lucky.

There was a pike killed recently near our mooring at Beeston Lock just off the Trent.

I didn't see it whole, just the head after something (rats?) ate the rest, but was told it was a similar size to the OP's. The head alone was pretty impressive!

Apparently when first spotted there was a big chunk out of it, just behind the head, and the theory was that a boat prop had hit it.

I wondered whether it might actually have been bitten by an otter. Who knows?