Quantity of Coal?

Pennie

Featured Posts

It has been pointed out in another post of mine that I may be using too much coal.

We have a Boatman stove which has 3 fire bricks in atm to protect the out of use back boiler. The vent is almost always only just open or a bit more than that in the morning to bring it back to life after going to sleep but still going over night. We get through a whole 20kg of excel every 3 days or 4 if we're being stingy or using more wood, but actually using wood tends to make the coal burn away faster.

I've found the best way to keep the coal usages at its lowest is to actually pack the firebox as much as possible with coal and it uses less over time than it would if I only put a bit on from time to time.

But still 20kg lasting 3 days is seemingly not right and very expensive. I'm still learning the ropes of boat life and this is our first winter so we could be doing worse. Also we haven't had a proper stove for that long (3 weeks) so its like learning all over again as, if you've been following the saga, our old stove wasn't a stove.

Once again could you kind dears of learning from the forum guide me in the ways of stove-ing please :-)

This time of year I use about that much too. Also my Boatman stove runs most efficiently when packed full. I prefer Taybrite to Excel for that. But sounds to me like you're doing everything right :)

That's about what I get out of a 20kg bag of coal. Yes, it is expensive compared to heating a house with electricity but that's like comparing apples to oranges.

6 months at about £85 a month, then 6 months at £0 per month, isn't particularly expensive to stay warm 24/7. Add a bit of gas for cooking.

The two share boats we had used to use 2 bags (50kg) of Taybrite per week if left on 24/7. One had a Morso stove, the other a Villager.

Current boat has a Kabola Old Dutch oil stove, which uses about 0.25 litres of diesel per hour on its minimum setting. Never needed it any higher to warm a 60 foot boat.

At current diesel prices, little or no difference in running costs between oil or decent quality coal.

• Greenie 1

Blimey. We're quite heavy users then. We get through 25kg of Stoveglow every 3 days, but some of that is used in the tiny back cabin stove whenever there's a minus in the forecast temperature.

We do like to keep the front doors open underneath the cratch cover though, both for fresh air and to keep the doghouse warm.

Well this post has certainly confused me, if only for the quote within a quote that was never there in the first place!

Let's see if I can do it too Alan!

Well, almost managed it... :D

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

Hell fire, I buy 2 25kg bags of excel every other saturday, and I normally have quite a lot left over. Thats with the boatman lit 24/7, backboiler with 1 rad, keeping the boat at about 16 deg through day and night, 22deg through the evening whilst I watch TV

Hell fire, I buy 2 25kg bags of excel every other saturday, and I normally have quite a lot left over. Thats with the boatman lit 24/7, backboiler with 1 rad, keeping the boat at about 16 deg through day and night, 22deg through the evening whilst I watch TV

I didn't know excel came in 225kg bags? Must be difficult to carry onto the boat.

No just well insulated boat.

Or a very well insulated boat...

Edited by blackrose

Hi , Our squirrel uses 25 kilo of Anthracite in 5-6days but it is not uber warm , so we mix it with Winter Blaze which on its own lasts 2-3 days but burns much hotter and struggles to stay in over night so now we mix the 2 .. and get about 3-4 days out of 25 kils and burns nice and warm and stays in well ..

so in answer to question 3 days is fair enough I would say for 20 kilos

My father in law has a boatman and says it is alot more coal hungry than the squirrel though .. not sure why that would be

Edited by RufusR

Hi , Our squirrel uses 25 kilo of Anthracite in 5-6days but it is not uber warm , so we mix it with Winter Blaze which on its own lasts 2-3 days but burns much hotter and struggles to stay in over night so now we mix the 2 .. and get about 3-4 days out of 25 kils and burns nice and warm and stays in well ..

My father in law has a boatman and says it is alot more coal hungry than the squirrel though .. not sure why that would be

Probably local variations in personal comfort zones.

16 degrees? Brrrr!

This is my perception too. Mine seems to consume more fuel than the Squirrel I took out, whilst not staying alight for so long between feedings, although I don't have proper records to confirm this.

It has been pointed out in another post of mine that I may be using too much coal.

We have a Boatman stove which has 3 fire bricks in atm to protect the out of use back boiler. The vent is almost always only just open or a bit more than that in the morning to bring it back to life after going to sleep but still going over night. We get through a whole 20kg of excel every 3 days or 4 if we're being stingy or using more wood, but actually using wood tends to make the coal burn away faster.

I've found the best way to keep the coal usages at its lowest is to actually pack the firebox as much as possible with coal and it uses less over time than it would if I only put a bit on from time to time.

But still 20kg lasting 3 days is seemingly not right and very expensive. I'm still learning the ropes of boat life and this is our first winter so we could be doing worse. Also we haven't had a proper stove for that long (3 weeks) so its like learning all over again as, if you've been following the saga, our old stove wasn't a stove.

Once again could you kind dears of learning from the forum guide me in the ways of stove-ing please :-)

We use a 25 kg bag every 2/3 days we never let the stove out and dont do cold. It is not possible to stay warm without burning fuel, simply impossible so those that say they use one bag a week are simply letting stove out at some time and not staying warm.

Its the same when peeps see me filling my water tank a couple of times a week and proudly state they go at least two weeks or a month between fill ups........well er we get washed ocasionaly!!

Tim

• Greenie 1

I think it was me that suggested you were using a lot, I don't know, I buy 5 x 25kg bags a month and live aboard, work away but the missus is home most of the time so the stove is nearly always on. It sounded like a lot to me, but I guess I use less than the average blink.png

FOR SALE

Anyone interested in a Arrow Acorn 4Kw stove. I purchased brand new (6 years ago) used as secondary heating in a centrally heated house (so not used very regularly) removed from house for potential fitting in boat, but boat already had one.

Just to pre-empt those thinkers out there, sold the house before buying boat!!!

Marketed for narrow boats and small / medium sized rooms

great condition (will put new fire bricks in, as one is cracked), ready to go £325.00

collect only (s. Glos)