Rowers getting in the way

RichM

Featured Posts

We have a narrowboat on a wide 75ft canal where there's a few rowing clubs.

Despite the wide canal, quite often they will get in the way, they don't all pass on the right and they can be a hazard. I make an effort to keep out of their way and to anticipate their actions but it's not enough.

Are these people king of the canal or am I right in thinking that they should be passing on the right like the rest of us?

Cheers

Arm

Are these people king of the canal or am I right in thinking that they should be passing on the right like the rest of us?

Going by the union canal in Edinburgh they are probably King. There are notices preventing passage at certain times because of the canoe club.

I have experienced rowers when I was in Ely. Nice change of pace. Who cares what side they pass on, it all comes out in the wash and definitely isn't worth getting upset about.

I just say hello and appreciate that I'm not in an exhausted wreck of a body that's being yelled at by some old fat bloke with a megaphone to row harder!

Certainly made the water a more interesting place to be than the GU anyhow.

I have experienced rowers when I was in Ely. Nice change of pace. Who cares what side they pass on, it all comes out in the wash and definitely isn't worth getting upset about.

I just say hello and appreciate that I'm not in an exhausted wreck of a body that's being yelled at by some old fat bloke with a megaphone to row harder!

I couldn't agree more. I must be mellowing in my old age.

I always hold my course and speed and leave them to avoid me.

The idea of a lumbering 2.5mph 25 tonne narrow boat trying to avoid a nimble quarter tonne 25mph scull is laughable!

I agree Mike, they are more nimble to can get ahead, out the way easier. Again down to common sense.

Often had fun on the Gloucester and Sharpness with the rowers, I normally held my line and let them take evasive action often at the last moment when they suddenly noticed my bows about to take an oar out or the accompanying cyclist shouts at them to keep right. They didn't always obey the lights on the swing bridges either but if the bridge keeper gave me a green light I kept going.

We have a narrowboat on a wide 75ft canal where there's a few rowing clubs.

Despite the wide canal, quite often they will get in the way, they don't all pass on the right and they can be a hazard. I make an effort to keep out of their way and to anticipate their actions but it's not enough.

Cheers

Arm

When I used to row it was the blasted motor boats that got in the way all the time!

I agree.

On the Thames the PLA has buoyed sections of river for the rowers to keep within.

Not that they always take notice of course.

Apologies for pedantry... The buoyed section (Putney to just above Brentford) is for rowers to use if they want to when rowing against the tide, as it enables them to take the inside of the bends where the tide is weakest.

Boats rowing with the tide follow the normal rules of the road.

This system can get quite exciting when the tide changes direction. More detail on the PLA website, for example: https://www.pla.co.uk/assets/rowingcodeupperareapocketguide2015.pdf

Apologies for pedantry... The buoyed section (Putney to just above Brentford) is for rowers to use if they want to when rowing against the tide, as it enables them to take the inside of the bends where the tide is weakest.

Boats rowing with the tide follow the normal rules of the road.

No apologies needed in finessing the point. However so far as I am aware there is no "if they want to" about whether they stay within the buoyed section when rowing against the stream - they must do so.

Hmmm

Just my opinion (Probably worthless......)

Having met many rowers on the Soar at Kegworth/Zouch plus really serious rowers on the Thames nr Oxford, we have always made room whenever possible.

Sometimes you meet them on a blind bend & that makes it difficult but if I was traveling backwards at a high rate of knots with the missus shouting instructions through a megaphone hopefully someone would move out f my way :-)

Seen plenty of angry narrowboaters at Trent lock on windy days when a dingy has tracked in front of them - not the end of the world for us as our reverse is quite adequate to stop in time.

Water is for all for me so no problem!

if I was traveling backwards at a high rate of knots with the missus shouting instructions through a megaphone hopefully someone would move out f my way :-)

One has to wonder if travelling backwards at high speed being shouted at through a megaphone is the sort of activity which is safe among other water users.

Would a narrow boat be safe if the steerer wasn't looking where they were going and only reacting to shouts? (Yes I know the cox steers).