Rowers getting in the way

RichM

Featured Posts

Not heard that one before

It's not as open ended as that, but that is the logic behind whatever local rules there are - motorised vessels give way to rowers who in turn give way to sail. However on continental inland waterways although that order of priority applies between craft under 20m. it is all vessels under 20m that however powered give way to those over 20, because you are effectively working in a confined channel. Unfortunately many sailors just ignore that which can create quite a problem for a large vessel.

Tam

It's not as open ended as that, but that is the logic behind whatever local rules there are - motorised vessels give way to rowers who in turn give way to sail. However on continental inland waterways although that order of priority applies between craft under 20m. it is all vessels under 20m that however powered give way to those over 20, because you are effectively working in a confined channel. Unfortunately many sailors just ignore that which can create quite a problem for a large vessel.

Tam

Tam

Surely that creates an even bigger problem for the 'many sailors'...

"Here lies the body of Steven Jay

Who died Preserving His Right of Way.

He was Right, Dead Right, as he sailed along

But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"

Not quite as quoted by Eric Hiscock in "Cruising Under Sail", Oxford University Press, 1st edn, 1950.

The cheap dig was too good to ignore, but brutally undeserved, so that's another pint I owe Steve.

One has to wonder if travelling backwards at high speed being shouted at through a megaphone is the sort of activity which is safe among other water users.

Would a narrow boat be safe if the steerer wasn't looking where they were going and only reacting to shouts? (Yes I know the cox steers).

Having done a bit of rowing in eights at Oxford (not for long, I wasn't big enough to be much good), I can say that arrangement is safe. It all depends on the cox, who is both steering and looking where he/she is going. An ideal eights crew consists of 8 obedient gorillas and an intelligent midget. As an oarsman you just assume the cox will get it right.

If it's a coxless boat then yes, they are all going backwards guided either by someone with a megaphone or just by looking back over their shoulder now and again. It's safe enough if they're paying attention, after all a slow narrow boat must be easy enough for such a manoeuvrable boat to avoid. Going down the Thames last summer from Oxford to Reading we saw some rowers in front of us, and more worryingly canoeists and swimmers, and just stuck to our course but watching carefully and ready to stop if necessary. There's a lot of room on a river that big.

Surely that creates an even bigger problem for the 'many sailors'...

We've had similar things happen to us on two occasions. We were passing upstream through a sailiing club's jolly at Henley on our 24m barge at revs that had us barely moving relative to the bank and in the middle of the fairway, and one yacht just came straight down and ran head on into us. It was not absolutely stem to stem and he bounced off, screaming and shouting at us. The more serious occasion was with one of the 30m coastal ships we ran. Coming down the Thames at Barnes Bridge a lad in a kayak went straight across in front of the ship pretty much as the sailor did in the video. The ship rolled over him and he reappeared from under the stern, luckily alive and rescued by the little speed boat that was supposed to be watching him. Luckily both happenings were seen by police boats in the vicinity who quickly reassured us that we were not at fault. I was steering the barge at Henley, and at least there was no actual damage. We were particuarly lucky in the Barnes event as it was not long after the Marchioness disaster, and our son who was captain would probably have been hung drawn and quartered if the police had not been there. It is difficult to know what the result would be if either happening had to go to external judgement and there were no witnesses.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

We came up behind a regatta near Ely once. The commentator asked us, over the PA system, to wait until the two boats had set off and then follow them along the course. We did so and crossed the finishing line in Bronze medal place.

Really made me smile smile.png

Last time i encountered rowers, it was a lovely sight, nice young ladies... i slowed down and made a point of saying hello to all of them...

Not very pc i know, but it was a nice sight .

The boys watch the girls

While the girls watch the boys

Who watch the girls go by

It's what makes the world go around, before and after political correct.

I have experienced rowers when I was in Ely. Nice change of pace. Who cares what side they pass on, it all comes out in the wash and definitely isn't worth getting upset about.

I just say hello and appreciate that I'm not in an exhausted wreck of a body that's being yelled at by some old fat bloke with a megaphone to row harder!

Certainly made the water a more interesting place to be than the GU anyhow.

I guess by more interesting you were referring to young ladies in Lycra?

Phil

I recall from the dim and distant past an entertaining day on The Thames with narrow boats.

A now retired yet well known boat surveyor from the South East was witnessed screaming and waving his upper appendages with abandon at a stationary coxed eight. Seems they'd skidded around a bend ahead of him and first went one way and then thought better of it and tried to correct, and then over-correct. Resulting in smashed oars, outriggers and bits of string amidst a pile of feet and puzzled faces.

The young cox concerned was eventually spotted hailing a taxi, presumably to pop over to Somerset House in order to check the validity of the numerous claims being made against his parentage.

Shortly after in Teddington Lock the owner of a non-converted Town Class sporting both its original GUCCC name and its Willow Wren nomenclature was observed remonstrating with the gold emblazoned cap and blazer sat up high on the flying bridge of The Airfix built gin palace alongside him.

It seems this modern day "Number One" took remarkable exception to this "Gin Tub Admiral" (sic) stealing his newly applied bitumen via the large plastic fenders which were acting like rollers and greedily transferring great swathes of it across onto the white gleaming hull sides of "The Passing Wind"

And that was just day one!

• Greenie 1

Last summer we were motoring through Bradford on Avon at the same time a bunch of kids had hired some rowboats; they were everywhere and seemed to think it was great fun to keep nipping in front of the bow. It would have been alright if they were good at rowing but they obviously weren't - it took a lot of work not to sink one!

Last summer we were motoring through Bradford on Avon at the same time a bunch of kids had hired some rowboats; they were everywhere and seemed to think it was great fun to keep nipping in front of the bow. It would have been alright if they were good at rowing but they obviously weren't - it took a lot of work not to sink one!

This puzzles me. I doubt you'd have been able to sink one even if you tried your very best, given the way they are able to nip around in front of you as you describe.

When kayaking through Braunston, I got sworn at by a narrowboater simply for being on the same stretch of water as him. I was well away from him right over by the offside, north towards Willoughby so wasn't bothering him at all. He insisted that non-powered boats had to stop at the side for narrowboats BY LAW! Then he insinuated that I engage in sexual relations with a member of my immediate family.

When kayaking through Braunston, I got sworn at by a narrowboater simply for being on the same stretch of water as him. I was well away from him right over by the offside, north towards Willoughby so wasn't bothering him at all. He insisted that non-powered boats had to stop at the side for narrowboats BY LAW! Then he insinuated that I engage in sexual relations with a member of my immediate family.

Every day is a skool day innit :)

I've been informed on several occasions is is illegal to cruise in the dark. Also pure fiction!