Canal Taxi Service To Start In Manchester

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

It's a nice idea but I don't know if it can be a commercial success. The original plan was for the taxi service to use the Irwell/MSC between central Manchester and Media City at Salford Quays, which might appeal to some commuters as well as tourists and would be a lot faster. That service will still be a possibility once the work is completed on the Ordsall Chord.

But how many visitors, shoppers or workers will want to spend more than an hour travelling between Castlefield and the Trafford Centre? There is already a trip boats that covers the route and beyond to Worsley, and a couple of restaurant/booze boats that go between Castlefield and Old Trafford on match days. On the plus side public transport between Manchester and the Trafford Centre isn't good at the moment but preparatory work on a metrolink tram line extension is already underway.

I do wish him success but I'm not optimistic.

I wonder how the "entrepreneur" has been earning a living since 2009, when Manchester Water Taxis was born?

I've not done any serious sums, but 2 x 12 seater taxis doing a 2 hour round trip, with a driver and crew for say, 15 hours a day, (7am to 10pm), would have to charge at least £10 each way, assuming full 24/7, and no downtime, just to cover the wage bill.... 5 staff earning an average of £20k, (driver £25k, crew £15k).

They wont be full 24/7, and there will be some down time, so I'd be interested in his business plan and projections.

"Cadwell hopes to quickly build a fleet of 'waxis', the trademarked name for his boats, as an alternative form of public transport for the region."

I wonder if the London fleet of Olympic 'waxis' is still available.

The link below has a photo of the type the boat he proposed to use on the ship canal. There are a few bridges on the Bridgewater that might be a bit low for that particular design.

Starting a service on the Bridgewater would give him some experience of day to day operations and give him some time to develop a good working relationship with Peel (good luck with that!). The Ordsall Chord is due to be finished by December 2017 although it is being slowed down by a legal appeal by the chap whose scheme was rejected. He could then either expand or transfer the service to the original route.

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/water-taxis-to-start-on-bridgewater-canal-by-end-of-2016/#sthash.4XeZKprr.dpuf

Edited by journeyperson

• 5 months later...

The water taxis in Leeds are subsidised by a local company so are free, so paying customers aren't the only method of funding the service. The taxis are usually busy even for the short distance they travel in Leeds.