Victron 12/50 Charger Fan Issue

frangar

Featured Posts

Having just spent a jolly easter re-wiring the engine room I have been left with a fab (even if I say so myself!!!) installation with 24v starting(Lister JP2M) and 12v domestics all wired properly etc....However.....!!.......I have fitted a Victron Phoenix 12/50 Charger which is fine apart from an annoying habit of running its fan when on float and the slightest current flowing (less than 1A). Question is does anyone else have one of these units and do the all do the same??? I have spoken to Victron and am awaiting a reply from technical in Holland. I appreciate that a fan is needed to cool the unit but I didnt expect it to run when the unit is essentially on standby! It does go off sometimes but only long enough for the fan to spin down then it starts again. It Wouldnt be so bad but the unit is in the engine room and we sleep in the back cabin.....and I told the other half that the unit would be quieter than the Newmar Ferro charger that we had installed....doh!!!

Any thoughts welcome!

Gareth

Having just spent a jolly easter re-wiring the engine room I have been left with a fab (even if I say so myself!!!) installation with 24v starting(Lister JP2M) and 12v domestics all wired properly etc....However.....!!.......I have fitted a Victron Phoenix 12/50 Charger which is fine apart from an annoying habit of running its fan when on float and the slightest current flowing (less than 1A). Question is does anyone else have one of these units and do the all do the same??? I have spoken to Victron and am awaiting a reply from technical in Holland. I appreciate that a fan is needed to cool the unit but I didnt expect it to run when the unit is essentially on standby! It does go off sometimes but only long enough for the fan to spin down then it starts again. It Wouldnt be so bad but the unit is in the engine room and we sleep in the back cabin.....and I told the other half that the unit would be quieter than the Newmar Ferro charger that we had installed....doh!!!

Any thoughts welcome!

Gareth

My fan runs also on standby...hardly hear it all though...maybe yours has a bearing fault...certainly shouldnt be keeping you awake !

My fan runs also on standby...hardly hear it all though...maybe yours has a bearing fault...certainly shouldnt be keeping you awake !

Our 3000 watt Sterling also has this annoying condition. It has a noisy fan and we have to turn the unit off at night. Furthermore when the unit is in it's power saving condition the unit emits a most annoying clicking sound. We were talked into buying this unit instead of an American Heart Unit which although not pure sine wave did everything we asked of it on our last two boats quietly and at about half the price. I must say the Sterling works fine but it is certainly noisy.

Thanks for that.....at least mine isnt the only one that the fan runs on!! I must admit its not that noisy but its not silent either!! Just a bit peed at paying £400+ for a unit no quieter than the one it replaced!!

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks for that.....at least mine isnt the only one that the fan runs on!! I must admit its not that noisy but its not silent either!! Just a bit peed at paying £400+ for a unit no quieter than the one it replaced!!

Cheers

Gareth

My Sterling 30 amp Pro-Digital's fan only cuts in on bulk and absorbtion charge, but never on float. It's installed in a small vented cupboard so it can get warm in stage 1 & 2 but I don't understand why a battery charger would get hot on float.

Edited by blackrose

Despite good ventilation, our Sterling Combi's fan is running almost continuously so we turn it off at night, there is no way we could sleep through it.

I suspect its location(top of the cabin over a wardrobe)is part of the problem, as this is the hottest part of the cabin. I intend(one day) to relocate it to floor level to see if it helps.

Despite good ventilation, our Sterling Combi's fan is running almost continuously so we turn it off at night, there is no way we could sleep through it.

I suspect its location(top of the cabin over a wardrobe)is part of the problem, as this is the hottest part of the cabin. I intend(one day) to relocate it to floor level to see if it helps.

Perhaps a combi gets hotter than a charger, especially if it's running appliances at the same time.

The charger doesnt get hot on float...It seems that the software that controls the fan motor senses current flow and at the slightest flow turns the fan on its lowest speed which from an engineering point of view is probably a good thing but not from a noise point of view! I have to say that in all other respects the Victron Kit is great. I have also been infomed by Victron that a Combi's fan wont run as often when in charger mode due to design differences. Indeed I have been most impressed with the Victron combis that I have installed on customers boats.......which makes it more of a bugger when it goes a bit wonky on your own boat!!

Will keep you posted!!

Gareth

PS edited to say.....dont get me started on the quality/design etc of any sterling kit......fan noise would be that last of my worries!!

Edited by frangar

....dont get me started on the quality/design etc of any sterling kit......fan noise would be that last of my worries!!

I keep hearing negative comments about Sterling kit but after nearly 2 years I've had no problems and I'm quite happy with my charger & inverter.

I have to say that I've met others & heard of quite a few problems people have been having with more expensive & higher quality equipment though.

Edited by blackrose

Whilst I am having a small issue wtih the fan noise on my Victron unit the build quality/ease of use etc in my opinon is miles ahead of sterling whos main selling points seem to be to suppliers/installers such as myself how much profit we can make and to end users about how many lights can be put on one unit! The Sterling Pro Alternator controller is a case in point......exposed fan mounted on top of unit.......openings in side of casing allowing damp/dirt etc onto PCB....interesting concept of charging curves.....but has a nice lot of little lights to look at! Added to this my dealings with Mr Sterling when trying to sort out a fault with one of his units were interesting to say the least! I have a policy now of only recommending kit that I have used and tested so at the moment the jury is out on Victron but im slowy being swayed but I can only praise Adverc both for Alternator controllers and DC-DC chargers, Trojan batteries also seem to be reliable.

Gareth

Whilst I am having a small issue wtih the fan noise on my Victron unit the build quality/ease of use etc in my opinon is miles ahead of sterling whos main selling points seem to be to suppliers/installers such as myself how much profit we can make and to end users about how many lights can be put on one unit! The Sterling Pro Alternator controller is a case in point......exposed fan mounted on top of unit.......openings in side of casing allowing damp/dirt etc onto PCB....interesting concept of charging curves.....but has a nice lot of little lights to look at! Added to this my dealings with Mr Sterling when trying to sort out a fault with one of his units were interesting to say the least! I have a policy now of only recommending kit that I have used and tested so at the moment the jury is out on Victron but im slowy being swayed but I can only praise Adverc both for Alternator controllers and DC-DC chargers, Trojan batteries also seem to be reliable.

Gareth

I can only comment on the Sterling Pro-Digital & Pro-Budget battery chargers, and the 1800w semi-sinewave inverter all of which are good (although mine are installed in the cabin not engine bay so dirt isn't an issue.) I haven't got an alternator controller because from all the threads I've read on the forum, some of those in the know seem to think that they are all a waste of time & money if you've got modern alternators.

Edited by blackrose

We have a Victron Phoenix Multiplus 24/3000/70, fan comes on when a high power appliance is used (often when the 24v loo is flushed, or if we use the 240v microwave etc.). It will come on more often in summer (when it is hot) than winter.

When charging fan comes on during bulk charge, but not during float.

A little on the noisy side, but because of the location (inside a cupboaed with ventilation around) it is no problem when we are asleep.

Ian

Elessina