Easy find satellite dish

eddieb

Featured Posts

If you're wanting a cheap manual system, go for a Multimo dish with a magnetic mount.

Add this signal finder:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LGWN87S/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1453981479&sr=8-1-spellπ=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fringe+satelite+finder

It takes me on average about 30 seconds to get a picture once we've moored.

Has anyone got any info on these? Usage etc reliability, tune ability

You mean the domes that look like mini-nuclear power stations that you see on some boats?

mfGeroWNvoQiROR8niuGbKg.jpg

My friend had one on his boat and it did everything it was supposed to do, automatically seeking the satellite and tuning itself in at the push of a button. He was very happy with it. I think the only real downside is that they cost a small fortune.

Cheaper than the dome is the snipe model I am waiting for one to be delivered twin LNB as a replacement for first that was wrong one sent I will give a review on it once set up and tested.

If you're wanting a cheap manual system, go for a Multimo dish with a magnetic mount.

Add this signal finder:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LGWN87S/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1453981479&sr=8-1-spellπ=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fringe+satelite+finder

It takes me on average about 30 seconds to get a picture once we've moored.

Yes, I bought a really cheap dish and system from Aldi a while back. So long as I can see the signal strength bar on the TV through the window, it usually only takes 30 secs to manually point the dish in the right direction. I just use the sun to approximate the required direction.

The biggest factor is mooring somewhere where you haven't got anything in line of sight to the satellite blocking the signal. No amount of sophistication can make a microwave signal bend around a tree!

We had an Aldi one, and it was much harder to align than a Multimo, as the elevation tends to change as you rotate it.

We had an auto system on our previous boat and I did seriously look at the snipe for our new boat but I think it's unattractive on your roof. A neighbour also had problems with his snipe not finding a signal.

Give me a good manual one every time.

One of the up sides of a manual system is its portability. If you are moored in such a place that a tree or building is just in the way you can move the dish to the other end of the boat. It's happened to us a few times. Be careful with the mag mounts. We did have it blow over a couple of times, but it never blew off the boat.

Bob

PS in this case you will need extension leads of course.

edit for PS

Edited by Hawkmoth

I've got the Aldi dish. Changed the suction for a Magmount. Also changed the tuner for a proper Freesat one - £28 from Currys. Takes less than a minute to set up, use Nicholsons to get direction (~SE) and a simple led signal finder. Beep from the signal finder but no picture probably means you have found a German one which is close but a little higher.

Brilliant

We bought ours from eBay camos For £200

There's one eBay now £150 no bidders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camos-CSA-1300P-Automatic-satellite-dome-with-controller-/111884616474

And others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/satellite-dome

Have had ours for 2 years plus never let us down.

It's great just moor up, flick a switch, and done!

With dishes, you manually move, use the buzzer thing locate the satellite, fix down etc, sometimes will lose signal etc

With the auto dome, does it all for you

Edited by bigcol

The Fringe Electronics unit is excellent (I've used others not so good) and it does both satellite and terrestrial as well.

If that's too much effort then there are dish motors on eBay from time to time; used for a tenner upwards. Then all you need is a Sat: tuner that can put out a DiseQ (?sp) signal. Like a Technomate. I've got one never used anyone give me £25 plus carriage for it??