Long shot. The Wards ex working

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tina p said:

The 1st picture is my dad Ted ward he was in his 20s before he married my mum. I have original photo.

Welcome Tina!

It is always excellent when members of working boat families appear and contribute to threads on here and I particularly enjoy it when they worked for Willow Wren, as I own a former Willow Wren boat. (So far I know Ted Ward never captained our boat, FLAMINGO, although his brother Ken most certainly did.)

Published pictures show Ted and Anne Ward as having a daughter Julie, so am I right in assuming this was your sister?

On 06/08/2023 at 20:51, alan_fincher said:

Welcome Tina!

It is always excellent when members of working boat families appear and contribute to threads on here and I particularly enjoy it when they worked for Willow Wren, as I own a former Willow Wren boat. (So far I know Ted Ward never captained our boat, FLAMINGO, although his brother Ken most certainly did.)

Published pictures show Ted and Anne Ward as having a daughter Julie, so am I right in assuming this was your sister?

Julie Ward.jpg

I remember both Ken and Ted Ward when they worked for Willow Wren, and they both had two very pretty little girls, who all looked like sisters, which is hardly surprising as their mothers were also sisters. Photos of them are well published and from memory, Ken's daughters were called Delma and Daphne, but until this thread I never knew the names of Ted's two. I also seem to remember that one of the Ward brothers often wore a cowboy hat, but which one escapes me.

Edited by David Schweizer

Doesn't seem to want to open for me..

I've always thought what an interesting read a book on waterways families and their boats would be probably starting from the last days of carrying and working backwards in time.
Possibly too late now. A lot of that knowledge would be passed verbally and sadly there aren't many family members left to tell the tale...

But Ray, it could be a job for you..🧐

Edited by Graham_Robinson

12 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I remember both Ken and Ted Ward when they worked for Willow Wren, and they both had two very pretty little girls, who all looked like sisters, which is hardly surprising as their mothers were also sisters. Photos of them are well published and from memory, Ken's daughters were called Delma and Daphne, but until this thread I never knew the names of Ted's two. I also seem to remember that one of the Ward brothers often wore a cowboy hat, but which one escapes me.

@David SchweizerYou have a PM

12 hours ago, Graham_Robinson said:

Doesn't seem to want to open for me..

I've always thought what an interesting read a book on waterways families and their boats would be probably starting from the last days of carrying and working backwards in time.
Possibly too late now. A lot of that knowledge would be passed verbally and sadly there aren't many family members left to tell the tale...

@Graham_Robinson You too have a PM.

Edited by Ray T

13 hours ago, Graham_Robinson said:

I've always thought what an interesting read a book on be passed verbally and sadly there aren't many family members left to tell the tale...

I know that both Ted and Ken Ward died at a relatively young age, some very long time ago.  I'm sure their wives, sisters Ann(e?) and Vera Wain are also some years deceased.

If I recall correctly, Alice Wain, now Alice Lapworth, (regularly seen at rallies was also a sister to Ann(e?) and Vera.

I think that Wain family was quite large.

33 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I know that both Ted and Ken Ward died at a relatively young age, some very long time ago.  I'm sure their wives, sisters Ann(e?) and Vera Wain are also some years deceased.

If I recall correctly, Alice Wain, now Alice Lapworth, (regularly seen at rallies was also a sister to Ann(e?) and Vera.

I think that Wain family was quite large.

Ted passed away age 55 in July 1997 and Ken age 48 in 1992.

They now rest at Windmill Rd., Longford Coventry, as do many other boaters.

Edited by Ray T