Winding at Braunston

Mal in Somerset

Featured Posts

Is it possible to wind a 60ft boat between Braunston Tunnel (West Portal) and Braunston Top Lock? There appear to be a couple of wider areas on the aerial map but Canalplan says the nearest winding holes are either Braunston Marina or Norton Junction and I haven't got access to my Nicholsons at the moment!

I've been through there a few times but have never really looked.

It might go round in the pound below the top lock.

I did see some one attempt that and no they didn't manage.

Between top lock and Braunston tunnel theres a lot of areas that are shallow especially where bank has collapsed.

Below the top lock is your best chance, have seen someone turn 57ft there. Be prepared to put to bow into the bushes any use a rope to pull the stern round.

I have done it ONCE there with 54ft. Tried it again when the water levels were lower and absolutely no way.

I have seen some publication stating you can wing in the pound below the Admiral Nelson. I think its where the drain enter on the offside but moored boats and the width makes me think it could be difficult.

I have done it ONCE there with 54ft. Tried it again when the water levels were lower and absolutely no way.

I have seen some publication stating you can wing in the pound below the Admiral Nelson. I think its where the drain enter on the offside but moored boats and the width makes me think it could be difficult.

This spot

post-261-0-35574700-1453655288_thumb.jpg

We were waiting to go up as the turned round, I would have put money on them not making it, but they did with a struggle. I suspect the water level was high as you say, or they did not know the length of the boat as I asked them what it was!

The bit where the drain comes in below the Nelson does look tempting, our boat it 50ft and I reckon it would make it, if and a big if, there was no boat moored opposite.

We were waiting to go up as the turned round, I would have put money on them not making it, but they did with a struggle. I suspect the water level was high as you say, or they did not know the length of the boat as I asked them what it was!

The bit where the drain comes in below the Nelson does look tempting, our boat it 50ft and I reckon it would make it, if and a big if, there was no boat moored opposite.

I've been told that a 60ft can do it if there are no moored boats opposite. Certainly before Christmas when the pound was well up it looked doable.

If nothing is moored opposite, it should be possible to turn up to about a 60ft boat in the Bragborough Stream indentation in the pound below Nelson Lock - using ropes not the engine. We once saw a 65ft hire boat turn there but they were desperate and did scratch the front of the boat in the offside vegetation. I expect the comment about a good water level is relevant and wouldn't try it if windy either. We can spin our 45ft boat there, even with one moored opposite.