Three tethering has been increased

bigste

Featured Posts

I see that three have upped their tethering allowance from 4gb to 12gb. I strongly suspect they were losing punters as 4 gb is a bit tight. A sim only deal of AYCE data, unlimited texts and 600 talk is £25. That is a 12 month contract but you can have 1 month contract if you limit the data to 12gb instead of AYCE.

Also anyone with poor credit will be accepted at www.pgmobile.co.uk. They use the Three network but have different price plans.

"On our All-you-can-eat data plans, you can use up to 12GB of your data each month to create a Personal Hotspot within the UK."

Edited by bigste
  • Greenie 1

I see that three have upped their tethering allowance from 4gb to 12gb. I strongly suspect they were losing punters as 4 gb is a bit tight. A sim only deal of AYCE data, unlimited texts and 600 talk is £25. That is a 12 month contract but you can have 1 month contract if you limit the data to 12gb instead of AYCE.

Also anyone with poor credit will be accepted at www.pgmobile.co.uk. They use the Three network but have different price plans.

"On our All-you-can-eat data plans, you can use up to 12GB of your data each month to create a Personal Hotspot within the UK."

I got AYCE data, 200 mins, unlimited texts on a 1 month contract. £23pm. If I find the 12gb tethering isn't enough, I'll simply leave.

I see that three have upped their tethering allowance from 4gb to 12gb. I strongly suspect they were losing punters as 4 gb is a bit tight.

Not surprised at all... they sold The One Plan on the basis of unlimited data, tethered or not.... then they limit tethering to 4Gb. Everyone who was using volumes of Gb per month will have been searching long and hard for an alternative, and Three would be dumped. I dumped them for GiffGaff on the phone, and got an EE data sim with 15Gb per month for £20. I've just signed up to a 2 year deal at £27.50 per month for 50Gb.

Edited by Richard10002

Well I have just received a dreaded letter.

Am currently still on One Plan, (SIM Only) at £20 per month - they say the plan I'm on is being ohased out.

I'm told that from end Feb I will be moved to a plan with "All you can eat minutes", (which I certainly don't need!) and "All you can eat data", but with tethering capped to 12Gb.

The price rises to £30 per month, which allegedly includes a £3 discount not available on any other deal. It is a rolling one month contract - the letter doesn't detail alternatives, but obviously with a 50% hike in price, I'll be doing some investigating.

Anybody else had this yet, and have you looked at alternatives please?

(For info, we are very variable users, depending on when on boat, but I doubt I have ever done close to 12GB in any one month - we are certainly not one of the "big" users).

Am currently still on One Plan, (SIM Only) at £20 per month - they say the plan I'm on is being ohased out.

I'm told that from end Feb I will be moved to a plan with "All you can eat minutes", (which I certainly don't need!) and "All you can eat data", but with tethering capped to 12Gb.

The price rises to £30 per month, which allegedly includes a £3 discount not available on any other deal. It is a rolling one month contract - the letter doesn't detail alternatives, but obviously with a 50% hike in price, I'll be doing some investigating.

(For info, we are very variable users, depending on when on boat, but I doubt I have ever done close to 12GB in any one month - we are certainly not one of the "big" users).

I had not received a letter as of last Friday (not been home since then). I had been warned by the three store that my plan was being phased out over a year ago so have sat tight waiting to be notified since then.

I've previously mentioned this, if you have an iphone (pretty much any version) you can use MyWi and it will route all tethered data though your "mobile data" allowance - which is unlimited. I've used 45gb this month.

I've previously mentioned this, if you have an iphone (pretty much any version) you can use MyWi and it will route all tethered data though your "mobile data" allowance - which is unlimited. I've used 45gb this month.

It is worth just pointing out perhaps that according to the MyWi web site the iPhone has to be 'jail broken' in order for this to be able to be used.

This may not suit everybody, particularly if their phone is under warranty.

http://www.intelliborn.com/mywi.html

Edited by MJG

Jailbreaking is required yes, warranty is subjective one though, officially I think it does put the phone out of warranty, however this hasn't been a problem on the two times I have visited Apple for warranty related purposes, it's not a strictly enforced rule is what I'm trying to say

Jailbreaking is required yes, warranty is subjective one though, officially I think it does put the phone out of warranty, however this hasn't been a problem on the two times I have visited Apple for warranty related purposes, it's not a strictly enforced rule is what I'm trying to say

Which is interesting because I have heard otherwise directly from somebody who had their warranty claim turned down precisely because their phone had been jailbroken, it would appear to be a luck of the draw I guess or perhaps what the claim is for.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201954 Dated Sept. 2015

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of the iOS end-user software license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.

Edited by MJG

I got that dreaded letter back in August and looked around to see whether other providers would suit me. Only 3 provided an ALCE data package with tethering but limited, at that time, to 8gb. I could have gone for a limited data package but I thought that if I had used up all my data allowance then I would just use the phone rather than my laptop. As it's turned out, only for the first month was my tethering data measured. Since then, it shows that I have not used any of my allowance. Don't know why.

I also get 600 minutes and unlimited texts. I pay £22 p/m.

ETA that I've used far in excess of 8gb p/m

Edited by Guest

Look at their website £20 for all you can eat, 12gb tethering, 200 minutes, all you can eat txt. 12 month contract (£23 for 1 month contract)

I am going to move on to that one.

There is also £25 for all you can eat data 12gb tethering, 600 minutes, all you can eat text. (£28 for 1 month contract)

Unless you make a lot of phone calls these don't seem too bad, particularly if they don't enforce the tethering limit.

Our needs are very similar but we opted to upgrade last year and had to face the phasing out of One Plan then. Initially the cap caused us problems but we subsequently were offered a higher level for an additional £1 a month. Need to go back to them to find out if we now need the upgrade but I'll not be holding our breath as all the mobile companies (like banks) have a very poor track record at how they treat loyal customers when the offer to attract new business is better than the old.

We moved from Three to EE. £25 per month for 50G. The EE network gives us a 4G connection much more often that Three ever did. We also no longer experience the "School's out" 4pm slow down.

Hum, just looked at EE, and the highest data you seem to be able to have on a SIM only plan is 10gb for £26.09. It does have unlimited minutes and texts but it seems poor value for data compared to Three with unlimited data on the device and 12gb tethered for £20.

The EE network gives us a 4G connection much more often that Three ever did.

Hardly the biggest issue we face, frankly.

OH has EE, which we went for so we would have a choice of two networks. We find tat we are far, far more often able to get a connection on '3' than EE, which is sporadic at best.

Forget bothering aout 4G - any connection on EE would be a bonus at many places we moor - even our home mooring, unfortunately.

Hardly the biggest issue we face, frankly.

OH has EE, which we went for so we would have a choice of two networks. We find tat we are far, far more often able to get a connection on '3' than EE, which is sporadic at best.

Forget bothering aout 4G - any connection on EE would be a bonus at many places we moor - even our home mooring, unfortunately.

Yep we've found 3 to have the best coverage of the networks we've tried. The only really bad areas (so far) have been the bottom of the Shroppie and the village my in laws live in Kent. We're planning to visit the north east this year - it'll be interesting to see what their coverage is like. It was certainly good in the Lake District last year.

We've still got our One Plan, though expecting to lose it any time so keeping a close eye on threads like this as it's such a dynamic marketplace. I'll report in when they do get in touch.

Yep we've found 3 to have the best coverage of the networks we've tried. The only really bad areas (so far) have been the bottom of the Shroppie and the village my in laws live in Kent. We're planning to visit the north east this year - it'll be interesting to see what their coverage is like. It was certainly good in the Lake District last year.

We've still got our One Plan, though expecting to lose it any time so keeping a close eye on threads like this as it's such a dynamic marketplace. I'll report in when they do get in touch.

We can't get Three in a good few parts of the (North) Lake District in the 'van which is one reason I ditched them. Penrith area is dire. The north East waterways was patchy at times too, though Jan could get EE.

Hopefully you will fare better. I found the external aerial plugged into the dongle helped a lot when boating.

We can't get Three in a good few parts of the (North) Lake District in the 'van which is one reason I ditched them. Penrith area is dire. The north East waterways was patchy at times too, though Jan could get EE.

Hopefully you will fare better. I found the external aerial plugged into the dongle helped a lot when boating.

Cheers Martin. We will make sure we've an alternative just in case.

Carphone warehouse have an interesting data only MiFi package. On their iD (using EE 4G), they are offering a free (online, £9.99 in shop) Huawei 5573 MiFi on a 30 day rolling contract for £20/m. Looks pretty good value to me. And that model has 2 x TS9 antenna ports too, so can do MIMO with suitable antenna.

Edited by Pennine

• 1 month later...

I was just looking at the 3 AYCE plan which is now £20 per month. I only want it for data and to fit it in my Huawei.

The plan has a 12Gb tethering limit, I assume this means that when the sim is fitted in a phone it is unlimited but any device tethered will only have 12Gb

How the hell can it tell that it is fitted in a Huawei or a phone?

We are due to move aboard in 4 weeks and have already had the home broad band disconnected, we are using the Huawei with a pre loaded sim from Amazon. My partners father is over from Cyprus this week and we have eaten up the data allowance on the sim, (skype calls home etc) to get it back up and running, I went the EE site to top up.

There were various options but what struck me was that they have a time limit, i.e. 10Gb for 30 days.

Now either you have paid for and own the data or you don't, what the hell has a time limit got to do with it?

Imagine going into a restaurant and buying a meal on the same basis, the waiter delivers your food, you are busy chatting and picking at your meal, 5 mins later the waiter takes it away and says that "if you want to continue eating you will have to buy a full meal again at the full price as you have lost this one"; totally ludicrous. what else would you buy on this basis?

Edited by Bewildered
  • Greenie 1

We have many 3 contracts as a family. I know it's not very canal related but 3 are great for usage abroad. There are many countries where we can get our full data package and we find that invaluable when travelling. However we have all been watching for the letter telling us how much more we will have to pay. I don't use an enormous amount of data but I like being able to keep it on and not worry I am running up huge bills even when abroad.

I was just looking at the 3 AYCE plan which is now £20 per month. I only want it for data and to fit it in my Huawei.

The plan has a 12Gb tethering limit, I assume this means that when the sim is fitted in a phone it is unlimited but any device tethered will only have 12Gb

How the hell can it tell that it is fitted in a Huawei or a phone?

We are due to move aboard in 4 weeks and have already had the home broad band disconnected, we are using the Huawei with a pre loaded sim from Amazon. My partners father is over from Cyprus this week and we have eaten up the data allowance on the sim, (skype calls home etc) to get it back up and running, I went the EE site to top up.

There were various options but what struck me was that they have a time limit, i.e. 10Gb for 30 days.

Now either you have paid for and own the data or you don't, what the hell has a time limit got to do with it?

Imagine going into a restaurant and buying a meal on the same basis, the waiter delivers your food, you are busy chatting and picking at your meal, 5 mins later the waiter takes it away and says that "if you want to continue eating you will have to buy a full meal again at the full price as you have lost this one"; totally ludicrous. what else would you buy on this basis?

Can't answer your first question, though SIMs in my experience tend to work either in a phone or in a MiFi but not both.

Time limits on data use are very common, indeed pretty well universal. Only giffgaff allow unlimited time on their PAYG deal as far as I know.

Similarly, Wifi packages are usually time limited, as the ones here in Mercia are.

After all, most mobile phone contracts work like this – we never use all the minutes and texts we're entitled to in a month.