Antifreeze

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Something here on anti-freeze/inhibitor. Whatever you use avoid the orange/red coloured organic versions which offer greater longevity but only suitable for modern engines as they strip alloys out of solder etc.

Thanks By'eck. Looks like the blue stuff is better but only has a life of 2 years. Looks like I'd better find out how to change the coolant.

After I posted I did find another thread on here suggesting that as the DM2 was designed to run on raw water cooling, antifreeze is not required. Still seems risky to me....

After I posted I did find another thread on here suggesting that as the DM2 was designed to run on raw water cooling, antifreeze is not required. Still seems risky to me....

If your DM2 is on a keel cooled system then you need antifreeze well unless you would rather drain the water out every time the temperature is likely to get down to zero C. If its on a raw water cooled system then as there is no freeze protection in the canal water you would need to drain it again whenever it is likely to get down to zero.

Thanks By'eck. Looks like the blue stuff is better but only has a life of 2 years. Looks like I'd better find out how to change the coolant.

The antifreeze element will be fine ( assuming you have not diluted it by adding plain water) - what wears out is the corrosion inhibitors. You can replace just these if you wish- use central heating corrosion inhibitor available from a plumbers merchant or DIY shed of your choice.

N